News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Couple of Rules questions

Started by agony, January 09, 2006, 03:17:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

agony

Just started playing Dogs and ran my first session the other night which proved rather successful and enjoyable for everyone involved.

However, a couple questions have arisen during play:

When you suffer a nasty wound but end up being saved by someone patching you up, are there any consequences afterward?  I mean, does your injury affect any of your dice pools or anything to that effect?  If the answer is no (which I believe it is) I would appreciate a simple explanation as to why (out of curiousity what the reasoning is).

Secondly, do you suffer fallout when rolling to patch someone up, or rather, does the person who the treatment is being performed on suffer the fallout?

Last question, Say conflict escalates to a gunfight from simply talking.  Now, you (being the dog) end up wounding your enemy and giving him a decent amount of fallout but he has not given yet.  You decide to attempt to talk him out of the conflict since you will obviously win and you do not want to cause any more unneccessary bloodshed.  The question is thus: can you escalate to a gun fight and if you decide to narrate not actually firing what type of fallout dice does the victim suffer?  If it is whatever the aggressor narrated, do you then need to keep track of what dice were gained from escalating to a gunfight? 

My reasoning, it would be kind of ridiculous to escalate to a gunfight and fire using two dice from your pool which you already possessed from say, physical.  Then later use dice you gained from escalating to talk to someone. 

Perhaps on this last one I am simply missing the fact that once YOU escalate all the fallout YOU inflict is D10 gunfight fallout whether you actually fired or not. 

Some clarification would be greatly appreciated.
You can call me Charles

coffeestain

Hello,

Should I call you agony?  My name's Daniel.

There's no mechanical consequence to being wounded after the fallout has been resolved.  That doesn't mean it can't be significant.  The player can choose to roleplay the lingering injury or they can take a trait to reflect it.  The reasoning behind this, I believe, is so that the player determines if it's important or not.

According to the rules, the person rolling to patch up an injured person suffers the fallout, if any.

I believe you see it correctly; even after you escalate to gunfighting, the fallout you inflict is a product of the narration, not the level of escalation you're currently at.  If you've escalated to gunfighting and wind up talking the man down a few raises later, the fallout you would inflict at the end would be d4s.  Generally speaking, I don't allow my players to escalate to a level of conflict without narrating at least one Raise that would inflict that level of fallout.  If they escalate on a See, their next Raise includes that sort of narration.  But that's just me, your mileage may vary.

Regards,
Daniel

Vaxalon

In my opinion, you can't escalate WITHOUT narrating the escalation.  It's the same as bringing in the dice for a posession or a trait... you have to narrate it in before you can roll the dice.
"In our game the other night, Joshua's character came in as an improvised thing, but he was crap so he only contributed a d4!"
                                     --Vincent Baker

lumpley

Hey Agony, welcome!

1) The only consequences on your character sheet, ever, are fallout. When you get injured bad, you take a couple permanent fallout; if you're then handily healed, the fallout you took is all the consequences there are.

Rationale? Because fallout is all the consequences there are, ever.

2) Whoever takes the blow gets the fallout. Thus it's the healer who takes fallout.

...Unless something non-usual is going on, but I leave that to you.

3) "can you escalate to a gun fight and if you decide to narrate not actually firing what type of fallout dice does the victim suffer? "

You can't escalate to a gun fight without actually firing.

However, after you've actually fired, you can go back to talking.

Regardless, the fallout dice you take ALWAYS depends on the specifics of the blow you take, not on escalation.

If you've been shooting at me, and then in the middle of the gunfight as a raise you call out that my mama's a whore, and I take the blow, I take d4s for fallout.

In other words, Daniel's right.

-Vincent

agony

Thank you for the prompt responses, I seemed to handle everything correctly during play then (except fallout for healing on the healer but that was a minor point at the time).

I appreciate the rationale behind fallout being the only penalty and it makes perfect sense, the player in question who was wounded narrated his arm being broken and it added a bit of color to the subsequent conflicts without punishing him and making him impotent when it came to physical struggles. 

Thanks again guys, very quick responses.
You can call me Charles

TheHappyAnarchist

Just to be clear, the way I understood it is as follows.

I escalate to gunplay and shoot you with my big excellent gun, you take the blow with 4 of your dice.
I then give you a raising oratory about the evils of such and such and you again take the blow with four of your dice.
I then inform you that the King of Life loves those who repent, and you give and come forward to get your penance.

So would the person take 4d10 + 4d4 fallout?  Or would they take 8d4?

I was under the impression that it was 4d10, but I could be mistaken.

Darren Hill

It wouldbe 4d10 for the shooting, and 4d4 for the oration, all rolled together and taking the two highest.

TheHappyAnarchist

Yeppers.  That's what I thought.