News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

A Modest Proposal for an Origins Event....

Started by Doc Blue, January 18, 2006, 09:59:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doc Blue

I early-bird registered for Origins earlier this month. At the time, I largely figured I wouldn't be running any events. Naturally, because I made a conscious decision, my subconscious decided to argue with me. Therefore, since confirming my registration, various ideas for fun events have been bubbling up. The latest, and arguably my favorite, is as follows:

A Primetime Adventures tournament tentaively entitled something along the lines of "Escape from Castaway Island". The idea is inspired equally by Lost and Survivor (though other 'Island' shows: Fantasy, Gilligan's, et al,; and other 'Reality' shows are also inspiration). In essence, in the first two parts of the show/tournament, two groups of characters arrive on different parts of the island. They interact, try to survive, and generally build drama amoungst themselves and against nature. Oh - and periodically, "They" come in the middle of the night and squirrel one of the characters away.

The final part of the show/tournament unites members of both of the original two groups (orginally, I thought it would be the 'survivors' of the first two parts, but I find myself sorely tempted to make it the characters who were 'stolen' in the first two parts). This segment of the show/series/tournament would focus on the characters' attempts to escape the island rather than just survive. I suspect I would still have the attrition rate be a factor, but the specifics would depend on the decision on how to combine the groups.

My inclination is to play it up as a 'reality' show at first, but to allow it to get wierd, hyper-real, etc. as play goes on.

Any thoughts/comments/etc.?