News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Last Days at Skullpoint - again

Started by Lamorak33, January 22, 2006, 05:10:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lamorak33

Hi

I have started a new thread as the last post relating to this has slipped off the front page.  Here are the links to the previous threads;

http://www.indie-rpgs.com/forum/index.php?topic=11691.0

http://www.indie-rpgs.com/forum/index.php?topic=16434.0

My questions have to do with the Skullpoint myth. If the myth is revealed, and it is likely that it is, the players will decipher it. Maybe it all seems far more obvious to me as I know the scenario, having read it a number of times. Intuitively my concern seems anti narratavism. Hmph!

Ron, though not specifically entered as a bang, is it intended to be revealed, and if so when?

And to any who have run it - have you revealed the myth in play, and what flowed from that revelation?

Thanks,

Regards
Rob

Peter Nordstrand

Hi Rob,

Would you mind elaborating a little bit? I am specifically interested in hearing why you think deciphering the myth would be anti-narrativism.

You see, the simple answer is this: It matters not whether the myth is discovered and deciphered or not as long as the players get to make thematically meaningful decisions for their characters. By letting us know why you think it would matter, it will probably be a lot easier to sort out whatever it is that confuses you.

All the best,
Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice.
     —Grey's Law

Lamorak33

Quote from: Peter Nordstrand on January 22, 2006, 03:09:57 PM
Hi Rob,

Would you mind elaborating a little bit? I am specifically interested in hearing why you think deciphering the myth would be anti-narrativism.

Hi

Sorry Peter. It just seems that anyone who read the myth would figure out everything that was going on. Is this so? My issue isn't really about whether or not I am hitting narratavism, but rather not wanting to spoil the game by revealing whats happening. I have been busy making notes (playing tommorrow) and I have a feeling that the players won't get it until perhaps later in the scenario, so maybe the thing is, let the myth out early and then develop the story over a number of sessions, leaving it to the players if they revisit the myth as a clue to the shit that's going down mid-late scenario. What do you think?

Regards and thanks,
Rob

Bankuei

Hi Rob,

QuoteIt just seems that anyone who read the myth would figure out everything that was going on.

That doesn't really solve all the problems at Skullpoint does it?  I mean, there's a ton of bad blood, lots of good old fashioned Orlanthi hardheadness, and who's going to believe a bunch of johnny-come-lately outsiders who expressedly want to draw off members of the clan to assist them in war?

The information will not "spoil" the game, since finding the information isn't the core of the scenario- the real question is what the heroes will do, who they will  side with, and how much of the Skullpointers they can salvage (and who amongst them) in the impending violence.

Chris

Lamorak33

Hi

Ran the first session tonight and it all went very well. The stabbing incident came off brilliantly! A couple of the player characters were hanging out when an argument about insulting someones sister broke out. For a laugh a player threw his tankard at on of the guys knocking him down, which escalated events into a big brawl punctuated by the stabbing! What fun!

I intend to reveal the myth next week and see what response it gets and what the players do with it. Thanks guys,

Regards
Rob

Ron Edwards

Uh. I'm sort of staring at you in a kind of fog.

If the myth isn't known, then the scenario is reduced to a bunch of stupid encounters, person by person, thing by thing. The myth is part of the scenario. Knowing the myth is like knowing that Boldhome is to the north.

Maybe if I explain it in in-game terms it will make more sense, I don't know. OK, the player-characters show up at this locale, right? They're guests, sort-of clansmen, not kinsmen exactly but "our people" to a great extent.

I mean, every campfire, every third hour into bored watch-the-Red-Whore duty, every dinner ... there's going to be some reference to it. This is a ritual-heavy, rather dangerously-cautious culture - they communicate by re-iterating the myths to one another and to guests.

They're gonna tell them their myth. This is like showing the family album of photographs to a bunch of guests in your home, or walking them around your neighborhood and pointing out a couple of historical sites. This is normal.

Where ever did you get the idea that the myth is supposed to be some kind of secret? I think I know the answer: Call of Cthulhu and its RPG spawn, also known as every freakin' "dark fantasy" rules-set and supplement catalogue ever published. But I'm not bitter.

Also, trust me as your Narrativist Seven Mothers missionary. "No, my friend, they will not cease wanting to play once they know the myth." You, wide-eyed: "Really?" Me, smiling benignly in the light of the Red Moon: "No." Because I know what they will do. Get that myth into play. Post to tell us what happens. I'll be here.

Best,
Ron

Mandacaru

Quote from: Ron Edwards on January 23, 2006, 11:26:28 PM
Where ever did you get the idea that the myth is supposed to be some kind of secret? I think I know the answer: Call of Cthulhu and its RPG spawn, also known as every freakin' "dark fantasy" rules-set and supplement catalogue ever published. But I'm not bitter.
Not knowing myths and having to learn them during the game is, in fairness, a component of King of Dragon Pass. For that reason, I tend to find myself thinking they need to be unearthed even if I maybe ought to know better.
Sam.

Ron Edwards

Hello,

I will clarify.

1. I'm saying, "reveal the myth during play." Just like you are saying, Sam. You are agreeing with me.

2. I'm also saying, "do not take GM-type steps to conceal the myth during play." Even NPC actions which try to conceal it should be revelatory.

3. On the off-chance that a secondary issue has arisen as a source of confusion, I'm not saying a word about what the players know about the myth before play, or anything like that. That's another issue and not actually very important.

Best,
Ron