News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

[Nine Worlds] Voice-over-Internet play (Skype)

Started by Matt Snyder, January 28, 2006, 10:53:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LordSmerf

Quote from: timopod on January 31, 2006, 10:24:19 PM
Ok, lets see if I can do this wiht out hitting return 50 tmes at the end. I listened to part 2, then went to have soem cookies (homemade) while i thought it over. Ok, so I need to think it over soem more so I ate soem more cookies. But the final outcome is that this is an entirly new way of dealing with a game for me. This is more like a chose your own adventure then a standered role playing. (1)While i find this neat, I also think it releys on the players being able to create things that don't suck. So far what I heard is all good, and it's been very enjoyable. But I can easily see this gettign out of control with some wisenhimmer trying to one up everything.

Now I can honestly say I don't understand how the game works. For now I just think poker (altho I don't know how to play that ether). (2)What the big differnce is, and this might just be the style of play, there is very little in character communication going on. I get the feelgn I'm seeing a movie with the sound turned off, or more likely the story boards for a movie. Just not what I'm use to (don't get me wrong, I dont' dress up as my characters and sit around the table saying "Ye are doomed sire!".)

I'm inturested to hear more of this, and wonder if the more involved character inteaction is possible with this type of game play.

--Numbers added for reference, Thomas

In response to (1), yes, it does assume that the players can come up with good ideas.  I think this is just another skill that can be used in roleplaying.  First of all, everyone has some dang cool ideas.  People are creative, and they're clever, and they can provide some cool imagery.  What's really cool about this, though, is that the more you do it, the better you get at it.  My ideas are clearer and consistently better now than they were last year, and I expect them to be even better next year.

So no one is ever in a position where they can not do this sort of thing, but some people are better at it than others.  Of course, like many other things worth being able to do, it takes practice to improve.  Another great thing about this is that by doing it with people who are better at it than you are, you learn a lot faster.

In response to (2), you are right in identifying this as a play-style issue.  Specifically, it is not tied to the "make stuff up as you go along" style.  Part of what contributes to the lack of characterization (at least for me) is that this is a new group.  I have never really played with Matt before, and when I play with people I do not really know very well I tend to ease into things.  My guess is that when we get more into the swing of things (and get more comfortable with one another) there will be more characterization.

Another consideration here may be technological.  I am not sure if it is Skype itsself or just the specific setup we are using, but there is about a half second of lag between someone saying something and you hearing it.  (Matt has helpfully edited out those pauses in the recordings he has.)  This makes any communication at least slightly stilted, which may be pushing us back toward a more formal/structural level of play.

That last paragraph there raises an interesting question...  I guess I will think on that some more.

Anyway, Tim, I hope that answers some of your questions.  Keep asking them: they are good ones!

Thomas
Current projects: Caper, Trust and Betrayal, The Suburban Crucible

timopod

ahh, ok. I couldn't tel ll there was a delay, so that may explain the odd exchanges. I'll keep listening.
Tim Goldman
Professional College student
TimOPod@hotmail.com

LordSmerf

I should point out that I'm not sure how much (if at all) the delay is contributing to it.  I mean, the delay exists, but it is not all that significant.  Also, it is worth pointing out that as part of my narration for the first Phase of the second scene I quite intentionally brushed over the chance for introductions when Aristo boarded the Chimera.  I just did not feel like dealing with it at that time.

So, to some degree it is just a play style issue.  We could have jumped into an introduction scene there if we had wanted to.

Thomas
Current projects: Caper, Trust and Betrayal, The Suburban Crucible

IMAGinES

Hi, Matt! Thanks for making those available! The second part of the session I especially enjoyed; it felt as though everyone was getting a better hang on the system and started getting on with the descriptions.

I have a few questions:

• Technical. Having in mind the idea of doing some Skype-based play myself (assuming I can herd the cats) and making the session recordings available, I'm interested to know what program you used to edit the files. (I've downloaded a program called PowerGramo for recording.) Also, did you have to compress them any for "podcasting"?
  • Rules-Based. I heard mention of Points several times, and based on the in-cast explanation and the Nine Worlds player's kit, I had a good idea on where they were comign from and hwo they were moving around. What lost me, though, is how they get used - or, more specificlly, if/when Fred and Thomas spent them during the post-resolution narration. I didn't hear any mention of Points during that bit. Were they spent?
  • The Next Part. Where's Part 3? I want Part 3!
Always Plenty of Time!

Matt Snyder

Quote from: IMAGinES on February 04, 2006, 10:46:52 PM
Hi, Matt! Thanks for making those available! The second part of the session I especially enjoyed; it felt as though everyone was getting a better hang on the system and started getting on with the descriptions.

I have a few questions:

• Technical. Having in mind the idea of doing some Skype-based play myself (assuming I can herd the cats) and making the session recordings available, I'm interested to know what program you used to edit the files. (I've downloaded a program called PowerGramo for recording.) Also, did you have to compress them any for "podcasting"?
  • Rules-Based. I heard mention of Points several times, and based on the in-cast explanation and the Nine Worlds player's kit, I had a good idea on where they were comign from and hwo they were moving around. What lost me, though, is how they get used - or, more specificlly, if/when Fred and Thomas spent them during the post-resolution narration. I didn't hear any mention of Points during that bit. Were they spent?
  • The Next Part. Where's Part 3? I want Part 3!

Hi, Rob. Thanks for listening to the sessions! To answer your questions ...

First, I use Audacity to record and edit the sessions (I also use a program called Virtual Audio Cables to help record Skype). Audacity is pretty simple to use, and it's free. You do have to download something called LAME mp3. This is a plug-in that enables you to save the audio as an MP3. (Saving a large file takes several minutes, which I assume is part of the compression.)

Second, Points are the basic level currency of the game. Players put points in play when they use certain playing cards -- specifically Face cards, Jokers, and Aces. They get used in two ways. First, and most often, players use those points to increase their existing Muses or create new Muses. This is the primary use of points, and has the most long-term benefits. Second, and less often, players can use Points to "fuel" their Urges. What this means is that they can use the points to manipulate the ratings of characters in the conflict.

For example, you could use the Chaos urge to destroy the points of your opponents (actually, anyone -- it need not be an opponent). So, if you have 3 points and you're using Chaos, then you can destroy 3 points on an opponent. The different Urges do different things. Metamorphosis, for example, moves existing attribute scores around among ratings, rather than create or destroy out right. And, Stasis doesn't affect ratings -- it creates "locks" that trap an ability score in place.

As for the next part, I'm working on it! I've been super busy lately. Editing the audio takes a lot of time. In fact, we have our second session already recorded. It's a bit shorter, but included a lot of really cool scenes.

Oh, and as a warning, we had some pretty annoying static noise in the third installment for the first session. I doubt I'll be able to filter it out much. We did improve that quality for the second session, though, so stick with us please!
Matt Snyder
www.chimera.info

"The future ain't what it used to be."
--Yogi Berra