News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

what do people think of my game idea?

Started by zompire, February 01, 2006, 05:18:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zompire

well the game gonna get harder for the players anyway so what might have seemed easy to them at the begining  will actually seem like a marathon near the end as each roll of the dice becomes far harder

Warren

Hi Robert,

Quote from: zompire on February 02, 2006, 04:05:53 AMAlso in answeing ow the players are gona get over th boarder in a realy col moment im gona leave the planning of there escape up to them

OK, cool, so it's the players coming up with neat ideas about how to cross the border and so forth. Once they do come up with a plan, how will the system support them? I understand that the further they progress the harder things will be, and the more dramatic things will get, but will the GM be able to just say "No" to a plan? Will there be any restrictions on the plans the players could come up with? What kind of rewards do you think the players might get for coming up with and executing cool plans?

If the players fail at an attempt, or get stuck coming up with ideas, have you thought of any ways that make sure that you don't lose the players' attention, engagement, and participation? (i.e. What does the game do to make your players care about the outcome?)

You've also got stuff about the final immigration test
Quote from: zompire on February 02, 2006, 04:05:53 AM...the only way to get excepted is to come up with a interesting or( if the gaming group  wants it) comical reason for you to be excepted into heaven.

Will this reason and the acceptance interview be supported by the game system in any way? Is it a vote of the players? Can the GM just say "No, that's a bad reason, you're not getting in"? Does it involve the player collecting resources during the border crossing which he can then use to get his character accepted? This seems like it has some potential coolness here, but it's a bit vague at the moment.

And if I may be so bold; can I ask you to spellcheck and proofread your posts before you submit them? This forum is a textual medium and it really is quite tricky to understand some of your posts. I'm not trying to be a grammar Nazi, and it doesn't have to be perfect, but I wouldn't want your cool ideas to get lost by having them be hard to read.

Thanks,
Warren

zompire

first of all sorry I'm used to just hitting post but i am going to make sure i will spellcheck first now.

OK well back to the questions:
I think most of you may (this is just my thoughts here though i am prone to misunderstanding people) be missing is this is not going to be a in-depth game whatsoever so in the GM saying no to an idea it should be on a "whats fun for my group" mindset whether something works or not, the GM should try and accommodate any and all ideas and then try and muck them up a bit always put in complications (as there invariably always is) BUT i will include some ideas for the GM to drop in as to how escape from hell if the player are getting really stuck. This is mostly to try and come up with a idea which is fun for every group not trying to restrict the GM to specific ways out of Hell this I think encourages the player to help themselves in a game. Meaning that the players will actually have to think about what they want to do rather than have it given to them on a silver platter.

There will be a system also to accommodate the interview in heaven this will consist of a sliding scale kind of like darkside points in the d20 starwars game (but again i cant really explain this until i run through the system of the game)

oh yes as well, further posts to do with this game will have "asylum seekers" (the working title I might add) In the name of the thread.

Josh Roby

You should totally make the seven deadly sins the main attributes of the characters -- and the seven virtues the attributes of angelic NPCs.  Or, hell, start everybody off with stats in the Sins, and they can migrate points into Virtues through play.
On Sale: Full Light, Full Steam and Sons of Liberty | Developing: Agora | My Blog

Troy_Costisick

Heya,

QuoteYou should totally make the seven deadly sins the main attributes of the characters -- and the seven virtues the attributes of angelic NPCs.  Or, hell, start everybody off with stats in the Sins, and they can migrate points into Virtues through play.

Seconded!!!

Peace,

-Troy

zompire

DO NOT WORRY PEOPLE the 7 sins and 7 virtues Will be used but as a Role play curve not as skills Ive already got a system mapped out just need to work out how to get it writ en down coherently

Endroff

Why are heaven and hell so close together?
   People will want to know how heaven and hell have such a close proximity. Also, who runs these countries? Are there any other countries in this world? If only the strong can make it across to heaven then basically hell is a place for the weak. If so, can you, by strength alone, get yourself into heaven? Also, what crimes did the Pcs commit to deserve going to hell, and why would the immigration people in heaven want them there?

zompire

OK when i say heaven and hell i mean the literal sense heaven and hell (not literally country's) i thought it might be interesting to imagine them as neighbors rather than the one upstairs and the one downstairs (also makes more sense if you hoping boarder that there side by side)
second of all there are no other country's, both expand out in all directions infinitely (as their both in the infinite afterlife) from where they meet.

Its not only the strong that get into heaven it the quick as well you could force your way in (but that's more likely to be committing a sin) but ingenuity to get in is the best way (again reflection real life boarder hopping)

And as in the previous post i made the sin the the players will roleplay around will be there crime they OVER indulged in that sin therefore they went to hell because of it

and the heaven authority will decide wether they actually deserve to be in heaven on wether they have redeemed themselves along the way (by roleplaying there characters virtue to a certain point, But roleplaying there sin will also be beneficial in the rolls made in game)

also I'm not going to say who dose run heaven and hell well its the classic God in heaven the Devil In Hell (angels working for god, daemons working for the devil)

joepub

QuoteDO NOT WORRY PEOPLE the 7 sins and 7 virtues Will be used but as a Role play curve not as skills Ive already got a system mapped out just need to work out how to get it writ en down coherently

I think it'd be really cool if they WERE the skills.

picture playing a character that says "I use my Sloth 7" or "I burn a point in Temperment to succeed."

I think that you should consider having these be the stats.

Maybe, just as a suggestion...
the 7 sins are your stats. You set them as high or low as you want, on a rating of 1-10 (or whatever.)
the 7 virtues are pools that are used like a luck pool. You gain a point in Humility by acting accordingly, and you can spend a point to bring your upstanding humility into an action test.

Once the "judgement" of whether you can stay or not comes...
the test could be this:
-If your virtue pool (which fluxuates) is higher than your corresponding Sin rating (which is static), then that Sin is forgiven.

Thus, you can only get into heaven if you have no (or only a few) sins unforgiven.

Just a suggestion to get you thinking.

Warren

Hi Robert,

Firstly, thanks for running the spellcheck over your posts - it helps a lot.

I think that everyone here think that your game idea rocks. It does seem that we all have different thoughts in our heads about what playing the game will "look like" between the players and the GM, and how the dice rolls and game system will fit into that as well. We will sort that out step-by-step, if that's OK?

Quote from: zompire on February 02, 2006, 02:48:29 PM
DO NOT WORRY PEOPLE the 7 sins and 7 virtues Will be used but as a Role play curve not as skills Ive already got a system mapped out just need to work out how to get it writ en down coherently

Can we have a quick look at your character creation system? We don't really need a huge amount of text - a few paragraphs will be plenty - but tell us about the basic system and give us a rough idea of how you see character creation working in your game.

Personally, I like the 7 Sins/7 Virtues as the core mechanics, and them having an impact on the "Heaven acceptance interview" - which I still think is great - but we can go into this more when we see what you have got for character creation.

Quote from: zompire on February 02, 2006, 01:59:31 PM
oh yes as well, further posts to do with this game will have "asylum seekers" (the working title I might add) In the name of the thread.

Cool; may I suggest that you create a new thread "[Asylum Seekers] Character Creation", as I think this thread is done - we all like your idea!

Warren

Troy_Costisick

Heya,

QuoteWhy are heaven and hell so close together?

His idea to make them close together is consistent with other stories on Heaven and Hell.  I think there's a parable in the Bible called "Lazarus and the Rich Man" where people in Heaven and Hell can see and talk to each other.  C.S. Lewis (of Narnia fame) wrote a book called "the Gread Divorce" that made travel between Heaven and Hell quite easy (if memory serves, they rode a bus back and forth).  So I think the idea of putting them next to eachother in a sort of East German-West German sort of way is really cool!

Peace,

-Troy