News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Capitalization

Started by Valamir, April 11, 2002, 12:32:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valamir

Quote from: joe_llama
QuoteThere's way too many Capitalised Words of No Real Importance.
Yeah man. Drop the Capitals. Do it for real this time.

Ok, I'm listening.  Convince me.

I've outlined my reasons why I think the Capitalized words serve a useful purpose (quoted below for ease of reference).

Please, outline your reasons why you feel differently.

QuoteThere are no words that are Capitalized that aren't explicit game terms. I believe in capitalizing game terms because then it is obvious when a word uses a "game rule definition" and when it uses a normal english definition. For example, I might use the word complicated in a sentence. Uncapitalized the reader can be sure it means what the dictionary says it means. On the other hand, Complicated, in a sentence means something specific to the game. All of the capitalized words are important in this manner.

As for slowing down to look them up, if you don't know what they mean you'd have to look them up anyway capitalized or not. Capitalized at least lets you know theres a special use for them.

That said, the final text will include a full glossary, and the online version at least will be fully hyperlinked

I'm open to change if there are sound reasons to do so.  But I have to say, if the reason is primarily Aesthetic, I happen to like the look of the Capitalized words.

joe_llama

Ralph, I read you loud and clear and I still disagree.

Use captials only when you have a special word that will go into the glossary. Believe me, it's the best way to go about this. If you have Camplication and Complicated they both should appear in the glossary, but in reality you would only put Complication, right? This is what causes confusion. The glossary would be something like:

Coin - ...

Complication - ...

Game Structure Item - ...

When the reader will see a capitalized word, he will know he can look it up the glossary. And Complicated isn't there. Don't be lazy - write down "...which uses a Complication..." or "....including a Complication..." instead of Complicated.  Believe me, it will save a lot of problems.

If you like the aesthetic appeal of capitals MiGhT aS wElL wRiTe ThInGs DoWn LiKe A hAcKeR.

WiTh ReSpEcT,

JoE lLaMa

Valamir

Ok, well by far the vast majority of the words that I've capitalized will be in the glossary, including the examples you give.

Is the only thing you'd change the times when I use a different form or tense of the word, as opposed to the word itself?

It sure sounded like you had some farther reaching ideas than that...

Mike Holmes

Those different tense uses are the only thing I ever found wrong with it. Complication is fine, but Complicated, Comlicating, Complicate, no; such terms should probably just stick to teh original nouns. I think Nadav's got a point there. And as he points out, you can get around it. I like that idea, as the resulting text reads better. It reinforces that you are using the term in the game sense, which is the intent.

Mike
Member of Indie Netgaming
-Get your indie game fix online.

Andrew Martin

My best answer is to get a book on a new subject and copy that style. But don't use a computer book! Instead, use a book on riding, martial arts, skiing, how to drive a car, carpentry, or similar. Here's some examples from one book on horse riding that I've got:

No capitalised words. Instead, special terms are in quotes the very first time they are used, and explain them at that point in the text.

If you want to use full justification, then use two columns, and make sure there's around 7 words or so on each line.

Insert a blank line before each heading to separate the text before and the heading after.

Don't indent the first paragraph after a heading.

Don't separate paragraphs with blank lines. Instead, indent subsequent paragraphs -- use the indent first line function on your WP.
Andrew Martin

Andrew Martin

Have a look at Tim Denee's Punk at: http://homepages.paradise.net.nz/timdenee/punk.rtf.
Use a style similar to his. Check out the clear definition of "fact", and the introduction of characters into scenes. Also note the brief example after most paragraphs. And note the flow which goes in order of playing the game. And also note the example settings at the end. Punk is in a playable state right away. Universalis needs to be like this.

I hope this helps!
Andrew Martin