News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

[Realm] Power 19

Started by sayter, February 02, 2006, 11:47:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sayter

Recently all these power 19 posts made me realise...I need to do one too! So, here it is without further ado.

1.) What is your game about?
Realm is a game about heroics, phenomenal power and adventure...but all with a cost. Moral choices are an essential part of all play, and can determine what a character is ultimately capable of.

2.) What do the characters do?
Characters attempt to shape reality into a brighter (or horrid) future through their actions as Heroic Mortals or Dreamers. Dreamers literally shape reality, combatting the Incarna or Chimera forces to reclaim Reality for the mortal realm. Heroic Mortals lead others, inspiring and changing the world of those they meet through their presence and deeds. They shape reality through the bonds they make with others, be it indirect or intentional.

3.) What do the players (including the GM if there is one) do?
There is a Game Master, responsible for telling the story and refereeing the rules. The players each control a Dreamer or Heroic Mortal, and attempt to act within their characters moral guidelines in order to maximize their moral standing (known as Sway) and to increase the Ki (mana) of Reality through their deeds.

4.) How does your setting (or lack thereof) reinforce what your game is about?
Realm is designed in a fantasy world, where Dream and Reality are essentially one and the same thing. The past is shrouded in obscurity due to an ancient event that placed everyone into a state of "magic" coma for millenia. The world, since then, has become a battleground in a secret war between two ancient forces known as Chimera and Incarna, products of an ancient entity that feeds on dreams and is known as Void. Chimera are literally manifested nightmares of mortals, and are the very essence of evil. Incarna are the exact opposite, and are harbingers of joy and hope. The characters are stuck in between, and must either choose a side or make enemies of both...

5.) How does the Character Creation of your game reinforce what your game is about?
Character Creation is done in steps, each step representing a number of years from that characters life. There are numerous parts to a character, although most are highly focused on roleplay and drama. Using Facets, Sway, and other elements, the GM is given a plethora of tools to craft an exceptionally engaging and interesting plotline that heavily calls on the characters views and beliefs on a regular basis.

6.) What types of behaviors/styles of play does your game reward (and punish if necessary)?
Roleplay is given the most attention, with many character-driven qualities affecting the group and the gameworld. Social and Combat play are given equal footing and importance, as both are as capable as the other in influencing events.

7.) How are behaviors and styles of play rewarded or punished in your game?
Players are rewarded with Skillpoints(XP) that they can use in order to increase character capability. Their choices also result in the aquisition or loss of Sway, which can provide significant powers to a character if they stay on a particular moral path. Finally, through achieving their goals, the characters increase the Ki of the natural world and can absorb some of that energy themselves. Likewise these exact same elements can be used to punish characters (Sway can be as much of a curse as it is a blessing, as can the powers i provides)

8.) How are the responsibilities of narration and credibility divided in your game?
The GM is the storyteller, and it is his sole duty to manage this. The exception is the player-characters, who are under the complete control of the player. Their choices drive the story, not the other way around. Actions of characters are resovled via dice-resolution mechanics, generally driven by Attribute + Skill +2d6.

9.) What does your game do to command the player's attention, engagement, and participation? (i.e. What does the game do to make them care?)
     Almost every aspect of the rules is designed with this in mind. Because character choices define the powers they obtain, players will be cosntantly attempting to make the best possible decision given the circumstances and possible outcomes. They thus learn who their character is, and have a far greater grasp on what they would do in a given situation. Furthermore, enabling players to "mix" powers with other characters' in the group, teamwork can be encouraged.

10.) What are the resolution mechanics of your game like?
Realm uses 2 six sided dice as the only necessary dice to play. Actions are decided via Attribute + Skill + 2d6, versus either a Difficulty or through opposed rolls versus an opponent. Powers operate differently based on character type. Dreamers use Power + Attribute + 2d6, and Heroic Mortals use  Power + Skill + 2d6.

11.) How do the resolution mechanics reinforce what your game is about?
The resolution mechanics determine success or failure in an action or situation.

12.) Do characters in your game advance? If so, how?
Characters advance through gaining Skillpoints in play, and spending these on new abilities or increasing the potence of already chosen ones. They must study, in most cases, or practice, etc in order to gain an increase, however.

13.) How does the character advancement (or lack thereof) reinforce what your game is about?
Characters develop powers of their choosing, in the way they choose to develop them. There are no classes, templates, etc aside from selecting one of the two character types. All other development is entirely up to them. Their choices decide who they become, not what they chose to do as a career.

14.) What sort of product or effect do you want your game to produce in or for the players?
Options, flexibility and imagination and immersion.Character creation and development is made for flexibility, allowing players to design a character in the exact form they desire with few limits. The story pulls them in, and they gradually should ebcome more attached to their characters..which can only improve immersion.

15.) What areas of your game receive extra attention and color?  Why?
Setting, because it is a full world populated by many cultures and extremely unusual creatures and places due to Dream and Reality crossing, and Dream manifesting into reality. Also, action and interaction recieve a lot of attention. Players will be often placed in combat or social situations...places where heroes excel.

16.) Which part of your game are you most excited about or interested in? Why?
I think that the moral "ambiguity" enforced by the ruleset makes for an interesting feel. Most "gamist" games do little to provide color in this area, leaving "alignments" dried up and useless or seldom bothered with. Forcing players hands in this regard is a fresh way to approach the entire aspect of play. Not only do they NEED to follow their goals and desires, they cannot avoid it.

17.) Where does your game take the players that other games can't, don't, or won't?
See above :) I dont recall seeing a large-scale fantasy world that utilizes the failings and greatness of the "human" soul, and using the way we act as the basis for who we are. The relationships forged over time (or the powers developed) can literally change the face of the world, giving unprecedented interaction with the environment as well as immersion.

18.) What are your publishing goals for your game?
I would very much like to see this in a hardcover, although an online PDF would also be possible.

19.) Who is your target audience?
This game is tailored to roleplayers, and fans of action and horror. To put an age on it, I would say 16 and up since there would undoubtedly be unusual issues cropping up in terms of horrific or beneficial acts as dictated by the Sway system (morals).
Chris DeChamplain
-Realm- RPG

Troy_Costisick

Heya,

Now that you have completed the Power 19, I have a coupel questions for ya.

First, how has completing the Power 19 shown you what you have accomplished?

Second, how has completing the Power 19 shown what you what you have left to accomplish?

Peace,

-Troy

sayter

1: It certainly brings to light the enormity of the task, and shows me that I have actualyl finished a good chunk of the integrals. Systems are at a comfortable place, and setting is stable enough to work with.

2. It points out that I am also missing a few minor details, although the majority of that hasn't been started upon yet. Charts and the like still need to be decided upon and power lists, etc.
Chris DeChamplain
-Realm- RPG