News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

"It's up to you to decide where you stand..."

Started by John Wick, February 17, 2006, 03:38:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

John Wick

After talking to Ron last night and answering a few personal e-mails, I've heard this phrase stated multiple times:

"It's up to you to decide where you stand."

Can someone please explain what this phrase means at the Forge? It's clearly a communal short-hand for something.
Carpe Deum,
John

jburneko

That's extremely hard to judge without context and I certainly can't speak for Ron.  I don't know of any communal Forge meaning.  But I can take a guess based on past experiences.  It has been my experience that Ron is very uninterested in "proving to" or "convincing" anyone that his theories are correct.  He'll clarify and explain all day long in a effort to help you understand what he means and what exactly he's talking about.

But, "it's up to you to decide where you stand," after you've reached that point of understanding.  Agree or disagree, up to you.

Jesse

Judd

This is a place about making creator-owned ideas into creator-owned games.

Everything else is details, including where you stand.

Clinton R. Nixon

Quote from: Paka on February 17, 2006, 07:10:37 PM
This is a place about making creator-owned ideas into creator-owned games.

Everything else is details, including where you stand.

Judd is exactly right.
Clinton R. Nixon
CRN Games

greyorm

Quote from: John Wick on February 17, 2006, 03:38:40 PMCan someone please explain what this phrase means at the Forge? It's clearly a communal short-hand for something.

Unh...no. That is, "No, it isn't shorthand for anything." I really have no idea why you think this is communal short-hand, "clearly" or otherwise, but I suggest if you want to know what Ron means, to ask Ron.

Unless maybe John wasn't sent his Secret Forge Decoder Ring? You know, the one that lets you reveal all the secrets of the universe, all the stuff we're REALLY talking about, by decoding the secret messages hidden in all the voluminous threads we pretend are about "game theory" (hah! as if!). Geez! No wonder he never knows what Ron's talking about!
Rev. Ravenscrye Grey Daegmorgan
Wild Hunt Studio

Ron Edwards

Hello,

I can tell you what the phrase doesn't mean.

It doesn't mean, "You're with us or against us."

When I use it, it means, "There are lots of ideas and claims and possibilities tossed around. If you want to consider any of them, then you have to decide which ones make the most sense to you, what that means, and what you want to do about it."

And I also mean,

"I am not telling you what kind of person you are, and I am not telling you what to do."

Best,
Ron