News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

All about mini-supplements

Started by Ron Edwards, June 05, 2001, 06:25:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dav

Damn!  I thought I was an evil genius... I got nothing on you folks.  Tahnks for the advice.  I think I will take it.

Dav

PS: Hellbound is online!

Clay

For those who hate e-mailing supplements from home, drop me a line via e-mail.  I have a couple of working options that I can put in place for you.

Clay Dowling
RPG-Campaign.com - Online Campaign Planning and Management

hardcoremoose

Sorceror in Four Colors...

C'mon, someone out there has to be doing a superhero Sorceror mini-supplement, right?  I mean heck, Ron practically begs for it in his rules.  Kickers can be resolved as individual subplots to the main story (can Whisperwind prevent the troublesome reporter from publishing her secret identity), Telltales can be as obvious as you like (Swamp Thing is the coolest!), and Abilities can be defined as anything from generic superpowers (with great Power comes great Responsibility) to literal Demons (Faust, Ghost Rider, etc.).

If someone's not already doing this, I might take a shot at it.  It'd give me a great excuse to re-read Watchmen (like I should need an excuse for that).  If someone is doing it...you got one guaranteed purchase right here.

Dav

Moose:

I have a friend who was thinking along these lines (but not quite so exactly).  I say go for it.  Go for it hardcore!

(And buy Hellbound ... I need to eat!) :wink:

Dav

hardcoremoose

Originally I was thinking about an open-ended sourcebook that would enable players to play any kind of Supers game with the Sorceror rules - but I think interpreting generic "powers" as Demons, even if I managed to keep the Need and Desire elements, would still be missing the point, somewhat.  I'm starting to slide more towards a standard Sorceror game, just painted in bright, four-color glory.  This would be modeled after the occult styled comics of Ghost Rider, Faust, Dr. Strange, the whole Vertigo line, Witchblade, Darkness, Spawn...you get the point.  Every Super would be a Sorceror in his own right.

What would make it different from a normal Sorceror game would be the Rule of Secrecy - there wouldn't really be one, or it wouldn't be enforced as heavily.  Furthermore, Telltales would be bold and vivid, helping to create the super-hero identity.  Instead of Cover, each character would have an Alter-Ego.  Humanity measures two extremes:  Good (high Humanity) and Evil (low), with most PCs falling into that huge gray area in between.  It all fits so nicely into the Sorceror structure, almost like it was meant to be.

Sound good?  No?  Any suggestions or comments?

And Dave, I'll be picking up Hellbound and Schism, if not tonight, then this weekend.  Can't let my friends starve, afterall.

Take care,
Scott

Ron Edwards

Scott,

Do it. I'd put a twist toward the Dr. Strange and Ghost Rider end rather than the (e.g.) Swamp Thing end, because Clinton and Jared have pretty "done the deed" when it comes to internalizing the concept of "demon." If it doesn't interfere with your current vision, I'd go with a more external-entity approach to the demonics.

And sign me up. This stuff is what my li'l mind is all ABOUT.

Best,
Ron

hardcoremoose

Actually, I'm almost of the opinion that Swamp Thing is actually Abigail (was that her name?) Arcane's Demon.  I'm not sure what type he'd be though...maybe a Passer in a world where the Rule of Secrecy doesn't count.  Maybe a Possessor who eventually replaces all of Alec Holland's identity.  Same thing with Brandon Lee's character in the movie The Crow - he's the little girl's Demon.  Is that external enough?

Maybe that's the twist...the Demon's are the Sorceror's guardians, protecting them from whatever Evil plagues them. I could stay away from Parasites entirely, focusing on Passers, Possessors, and the Inconspicuous ones.  I hate to make the comparison, but it would be like very dark Pokemon, or something...

I need to go check out some anime...let me know what you guys think.