News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

All about mini-supplements

Started by Ron Edwards, June 05, 2001, 06:25:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron Edwards

Hello,

This stuff was originally announced at GO, so it ought to be here too.

A mini-supplement is any combination of the following for Sorcerer: a setting, scenarios, rules tweaks, Humanity and other key concept interpretations, art, fiction, or story materials.

If you put together such a thing, you may sell it in PDF form from my Sorcerer website. Just set up some kind of buy button (e.g. PayPal or whatever) and we'll put it there.

I don't get a dime from this. I get supplements and good press. You get the credit and the profit.

I suggest $5-7 per copy, given the scope that the current entries have tackled. If it's comparatively light, $3-5 seems more reasonable.

To be sold this way, a mini-supplement may not be sold elsewhere. It must pass my editorial approval (which current authors might comment about).

Mini-supplements that are just about to hit the website include:
Hellbound by Dav Harnish
Schism by Jared Sorensen
Demon Cops by me
Electric Ghosts by Raven

I encourage unique and interesting takes on the usual Sorcerer mechanics.

Best,
Ron

Dav

This is mainly for Clay and Clinton, as I know they have great ideas waiting for them to put hands to keyboard:

"My experiences with Ron as editor"
             -by Dav Harnish

Well, I will only say that the skin on my back is still healing, and the doctors say that it may be up to three years before I can sleep on my back again.  Combining this with the emotional and mental torture that he put me through, I must say that this was probably the most disturbing and scarring occurrence of my life.  

Every day I would awaken to Ron Edwards perched above the headboard of my bed, my apartment keys dangling serenely from one of his fingers.  I have no idea how he kept getting inside, what with me changing the locks constantly.  But there he was, smiling, laughing.  He would allow me ... sometimes, to go to the bathroom before chaining me to my computer, his barbed wire whip cracking downward at break-neck speeds whenever I misused a comma.

And the screaming, and the abuse ...  I think that Ron must speak at least five different languages, because there are not possibly enough insults within any given language to contain all of the horrible insults he heaped upon my entire family line.  And through it all, that mad maniacal laughter ...  I shudder to even consider it for too long.

However, I know he is still out there.  Even after I gave him a finished version of the supplement, he sometimes comes back, scratching his blackened nails across the door to my apartment.  I have taken to sleeping with a shotgun.  My girlfriend left me long before I was able to reach chapter 2.  

I'm pretty certain that most of the damage will heal, however, and the doctors all say that the plastic strips they implanted look and feel 56% like normal skin.  The internal bleeding didn't last too long, and Ron was kind enough to give me a detailed description of why the wounds to organs and skin were not fatal from "a biologist's perspective".

On the up side, I have learned some new and interesting phrases, including "Ia, Ia, the Black Goat of the Woods!"  Which, for some reason, Ron kept chanting as he flayed the skin from my bones.  And how many people can claim to have seen, much less tasted, their own spleens?

Come on!  Write for Ron, it is an experience you'll never forget.

Dav

Clinton R. Nixon

Hey! I have one mini-supplement 90% finished (waiting for art and one last chapter), and the second got the first draft written today. (Being trapped in the hospital has its advantages.)
Clinton R. Nixon
CRN Games

Clay

Ack, Clinton, you're making me look like a real slacker.  My supplement is still in the rough notes stage.  The only good thing I can say about it is that I will have started the requested short story this week, and will have had it reviewed by next.

However harsh Ron may have been on Dav, it probably won't be that bad compared to dealing with my boss.
Clay Dowling
RPG-Campaign.com - Online Campaign Planning and Management

Mike Holmes

The vast..no...unfathomable darkness of Space...

Where *did* you think demons came from?

Sorcerer & Space - What will man have to sacrifice to reach the final frontier?

Whadda ya say Uncle Ronnie? Can I do it? Huh, huh? Can I?

Mike Holmes
Member of Indie Netgaming
-Get your indie game fix online.

Ron Edwards

Hey Mike,

Pre-approval is not required for mini-supplements. If you write it, I'll check it out (hey Clay! this means you too).

Best,
Ron

Clay

I'll have to get off my sorry slacker behind and get to work on writing it.   You've actually seen everything that I've done, save for the map.  Obviously, it's a long way from making a mini-supplement at this point.
Clay Dowling
RPG-Campaign.com - Online Campaign Planning and Management

Jared A. Sorensen

Re: supplements...

Schism is done!  It should be available tomorrow (?)
jared a. sorensen / www.memento-mori.com

Paul Czege

Cool! Page count? Price? Art count? Other nifties?
My Life with Master knows codependence.
And if you're doing anything with your Acts of Evil ashcan license, of course I'm curious and would love to hear about your plans

Jared A. Sorensen

Info...

Page count?
36 pages

Price?
$5.95

Art count?
4 (1 cover image, 3 interior illustrations)

Other nifties?  
No fiction (there are some fragments on the Schism site if yer into that kinda thing).  There is a short prologue, some design notes masquerading as "what the hell is this game about?" text, a references list (short blurb on Cronenberg, some movies and books and a detailed list of music that inspired the game), character creation (and character destruction!) rules, lots o' psychic disciplines (broken into the three types -- Telepathy, Psychokinesis, Clairvoyance), rules for using your power and losing control, trancendence (as in, transcending the limitations of your power at the cost of your humanity), gaining new disciplines, drugs!, sample cabals & characters, how to run Schism, lots of pithy quotes, an "about the author/artist" section and a glossary of terms used in the game.

Long live the New Flesh!
jared a. sorensen / www.memento-mori.com

Ron Edwards

Hey all,

I need to emphasize one thing:

*Mini-supplements are to be sold only from the Sorcerer website.* The money goes to the author, but the place o' business is that website alone ...

Best,
Ron

Dav

Ron (et al):

I asked Jared, and now I put it to the ether.

Does anyone know a method of order fulfillment that will not constitute me emailing orders to customers (some way of allowing those who pay download access)?  I ask because my modem sucks and emailing attachments will be a major suck-festival for me.  If that is the only way, so be it; but I thought I would check before going whole-hog.  

Dav

greyorm

I suggest the simple method:  E-mail a reliable friend with better/more reliable/faster access and see if you forward the requests for your supplement to them, if they would be willing to send them out.
Rev. Ravenscrye Grey Daegmorgan
Wild Hunt Studio

james_west

Alternatively, if you can leave the .pdf on a faster server, and attach it from there (by connecting to the server from home), it never actually has to travel over your phone lines.

- James

Paul Czege

Create a Yahoo email account and send the thing to that address one time. Then you can forward it from that account as many times as you need to.

[ This Message was edited by: Paul Czege on 2001-06-13 19:34 ]
My Life with Master knows codependence.
And if you're doing anything with your Acts of Evil ashcan license, of course I'm curious and would love to hear about your plans