News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Best online Dogs roller?

Started by Mikael, February 25, 2006, 05:16:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mikael

Hello

One of the players in our group lives away and can rarely make it to the city. Still, we like to have him playing with us and thus use webcam and Skype to include him. For most games he just rolls what he rolls and tells us the result, but in Dogs it would be essential to see which dice he has left.

We have tried just updating the list of dice on text chat, but that slows down conflicts unnecessarily. Initial experiments with a webcam did not show the numbers on the d8s and d10s clearly enough, although we are still working on that.

Finally, the question:
In case the webcams just won´t work and we need one, which online or Messenger-based roller would you recommend for Dogs?

Thanks,
+ Mikael
Playing Dogs over Skype? See everybody's rolls live with the browser-independent Remote Dogs Roller - mirrors: US, FIN

Vaxalon

Ordinarily I'd say roll your dice and go by the honor system, but there's some strategy for picking dice that you need to know your enemy's dice to use.

I don't know of messenger-based die rollers, but there's a good one on the Magicstar IRC server, that works just fine for Dogs.
"In our game the other night, Joshua's character came in as an improvised thing, but he was crap so he only contributed a d4!"
                                     --Vincent Baker

Mikael

Hmm, IRC. Didn't think of those, obviously.

Anyway, since I could not find anything suitable, I created a simple web-based application that lets people at remote locations view what the other guy has rolled, and for the rolling guy to put forward dice as his/her raise or see. I took pictures of my dice, so it looks very "real"... Well, maybe not.

If someone is in dire need of such a thing, PM me and I can send you the link. Or the code, depending on your preferences.

Cheers,
+ Mikael
Playing Dogs over Skype? See everybody's rolls live with the browser-independent Remote Dogs Roller - mirrors: US, FIN