News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Looking for a smart way to mash a bunch of systems.

Started by Axiom, March 05, 2006, 02:51:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Axiom

In my free time I like to dabble with building computer RPGs. and I am getting to the point where I want to build my own system instead of using an exsisting one.

I want it to be classless and fairly realistic combatwise... I know a few systems I want to 'borrow' from to create a whole new entity. But it seems a daunting task... when creating a new system how do you go about it... break into smaller sized chunks so you dont feel overwhelmed from the start? Where do you start? Stats? Skills? Combat? Magic? etc?

Any advice would be great :)

catmorbid

Hello,

I didn't quite understand whether you wish to create a pen & paper RPG system or a computer RPG system, as I myself believe there to be a clear difference when considering where to start. I would imagine that the main difference is about complexity: A computer always calculates faster and complexity of actual resolution system is not that much of an issue, as it is when comparing to a pen & paper system. Clearing out this might help.

However, I myself have noticed that thinking about what you want to achieve with the system is the most important task. You can of course think ahead of how many attributes/skills/stats etc. you want to have, but most of all, what you want to achieve with them. Thinking about the scale of values might be important to decide the actual mechanics, as well as if you want to implement a degree of success factor based on how good are the values.

There are probably numerous ways to create a new system, but you should always think of the reasons why you are about to create a new system. Attempt and error is most likely the best way to find out how to do it.

Oh, and welcome to the Forge.

-Catmorbid
They call me Mikko :)

Ben Lehman

Hi, Axiom!  I'm Ben.  Nice to meet you and welcome to the Forge.  Do you have a real name that we could call you by? 

Regardless of whether you're working in videogames or in role-playing games, here are three questions which I think are absolutely central to any game design -- if you don't have good answers to these questions, you're going to be constantly confused and overwhelmed, if you do have good answers to these questions, the rest of your game design can and will be focused on them.  Here they are:

What is your game about?
What do the characters do?
What do the players do (including a GM if there is a GM)?

Let me know if you need any help on those.