News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

[Polaris] Conflict flowchart for new players

Started by Arturo G., March 05, 2006, 04:52:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eetu

Hmm, I dont have the book with me right now, but that's not in the phrase reference on the tao-games site, nor in any of the other reference flowcharts produced thus far. I also don't see any reason for it. Ben, can we get a ruling, is "and that was how it happened" legal after "you ask far too much"?

Arturo G.

Indeed, I think we need Ben for some rules advise. Other statement in the rules-text which make me confuse:

Page 71, In the description of You ask far too much....
"You choose one of the two options, the original statement or the newly offered one, and continue with ANY key conflict phrase you wish to use".

Which among these situations are possible (assuming there are enough themes not yet exhausted)?

1. But only if A.  You ask far too much... Ok, then But only if B. I choose (anyone), And that was how it happened.

2. But only if A.  You ask far too much... Ok, then But only if B. I choose (anyone), It was not meant to be.

3. And furthermore A. You ask far too much... Ok, then And furthermore B. I choose (anyone), But only if...

4. And furthermore A. You ask far too much... Ok, then And furthermore B. I choose (anyone), And that was how it happened.

5. I say statement A. I start conflict with You ask far too much.... Ok, then I say B. I choose (anyone), And that was how it happened.

6. I say statement A. I start conflict with You ask far too much.... Ok, then I say B. I choose (let us say B). But You ask far too much again. Ok, then I say C. I choose (let us say B). And still You ask far too much. Ok, then I say D. I choose (let us say D). And that was how it happened.

7. But only if A. You ask far too much.... Ok, then But only if B. I choose (let us say B). But You ask far too much again. Ok, then I say C. I choose (let us say B). And still You ask far too much. Ok, then I say D. I choose (let us say D), .... but It was not meant to be. Does anyone remember what I said before you proposed A,B,C and D?

Arturo

Ben Lehman

Guys -- you are over-parsing the text and tying yourselves into knots.

Here's the rule:

You can use "you ask far too much" in three circumstances:
1) In response to "but only if..."
2) In response to "and furthermore"
3) In response to a non-conflict statement

In all cases, the revised statement is of the same type as the original statement.

yrs--
--Ben

P.S.  There are several other ways to handle it.  These are fine, but this is the simplest rule, and therefore the best.

Arturo G.

Ok, Ben!

It is me. I'm always worry about missing something because of the language, and I'm reading things once and again, until I lose the real meaning !!

Eetu was right. Thus, it is easier. I will try to draw colored arrows going back from the "You ask far too much" to the original phrases, to express that the revision of the previous phrase should be continued as the original one.

I will post a link to the new graph as soon as I make it, to know if you think it grabs the idea correctly.

Thanks, Ben!

Arturo

Arturo G.

The link to the new version: Polaris conflict flow-chart v2

Tell me if you think that it express the idea correctly.
I have added a clarification note in the output arrow of the "You ask far too much". I'm mainly thinking in new players.

Arturo