News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

The Wonder System

Started by Ydirbut, March 09, 2006, 04:19:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ydirbut

Sorry I don't have all of the details worked out yet

Dice
   The Wonder System uses 2 twenty sided dice(2d20) for all skill checks.

Character Points(CP)

The GM should give each player a number of character points to use on their characters. 10 is a nice starting point for a long-running campaign, but you can start it higher if you wish. You spend them to buy secondary Field skills, secondary Single Function skills, Traits, and Arcana (but more on that later).

Field Skill Points (FSP)

Field skills are descriptions of your character. You get a number of Field skill points equal to one-fifth of your CP total for free. For example, a 10 CP character would get 2 free Field skill points, a 20 CP character 4, and a 50 CP character would get 10 free field skill points. Each field skill point you have invested in a particular skill gives a +3 bonus on things that are central to the field, a +2 bonus on things that are important to the skill, a +1 bonus on things that are peripherally important to the skill. For instance, let us assume that Caius Cosades is the High Templar of the Order of the Penitent, and is a 100 Point Character. He has the “Penitent Knight” field skill maxed out at 20 Points. He gets a +60 bonus on things that are central to that field, like meditating, convincing others of the evils of their ways, etc. He would get a +40 bonus on things that are important to the field, like preaching, settling feuds, etc. He gets a  +20 bonus on things useful, but not vital to the skill, such as riding a horse (The Penitent Brothers prefer to walk). You can buy Field Skill Points for a Character Point Each.

Single Function Skill Points

Single Function Skills are skills that represent a single concept. You get a number of Single Function skill points equal to one-fifth of your CP total for free. For example, a 10 CP character would get 2 free Single Function skill points, a 20 CP character 4, and a 50 CP character would get 10 free Single Function skill points. Each Single Function skill point you have invested in a particular skill gives a +2 bonus to that skill. You can buy Single Function Skill Points for a CP each. This a list of Single Function Skills: Melee Combat, Ranged Combat, Aether Magic, Shadow magic, Light magic, Meta magic and Battle Magic.
Traits
   Traits are things that you buy with your Cps. They are not easily categorised, and can have myriad effects. Please not that not all traits cost 1 CP each, some of them require multiple Cps. A character cannot spend more than one fifth of his character point total on any given trait.

Magic

Magic is based off of 2 things, Arcana and the five different magic skills. Arcana represents a desired effect from a spell. For example, let us assume that you want to create a spell that created a burst of light that disoriented your opponent. That would require the disorient arcana and would demand that you make a Light Magic skill check. If you passed the check, you successfully cast the spell. The greater you roll over the check number, the greater the effect. Additionally, you would take a temporary penalty on future Light Magic skill checks unless you rolled over another number, which would be higher than the check number.

TonyLB

What's the game about?  What do characters do?  Do they wander around looking for trouble, killing things and looting the bodies?  Do they try to build influence, and then a kingdom?  etc., etc.

What do players do?  Do they create the world, incident by incident and NPC by NPC?  Do they address moral questions?  Do they compete with each other? etc., etc.
Just published: Capes
New Project:  Misery Bubblegum

TonyLB

Oh, and welcome to the Forge!
Just published: Capes
New Project:  Misery Bubblegum

Ydirbut

What's the game about?  What do characters do?  Do they wander around looking for trouble, killing things and looting the bodies?  Do they try to build influence, and then a kingdom?  etc., etc.
Either/or, but I'm going for more of a D&D adventure feel
What do players do?  Do they create the world, incident by incident and NPC by NPC?  Do they address moral questions?  Do they compete with each other? etc., etc.
play their characters. I keed keed. Right now, there helping me to create the world, because I'm lazy and don't want to do it all themselves. But i'm playing a D&D campaing right now, so i'll probably switch over to this system sometime in the future.

Anders Larsen

I would like to give you some feedback, but I find it very hard to comment on a system out of content. Saying that you want a D&D feeling help a bit, but it is still to broad, and I am not very familiar with D&D.

So I am going to ask you some more question. I don't do this to be annoying, but I need to know what you what with your game, to give proper feedback.

So, what do you want with this game? What kind of feeling are you going for? What type of play do you want in the game (What should the players focus on in the game)? What part of the game do you want to give most attention? What have exited you in other games that you what to support in this one?

I see you have some setting material. What is this setting about? What conflicts in the setting is the character facing?

Now, this may seem a bit overwhelming, but you don't have to answer the question one by one. Write a small text (a few paragraphs) wherein the questions are answered.

And you may want to give a small paly example of something that should be really interesting and exiting in your game.

- Anders