News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Looking for Critique of my System

Started by davez, March 13, 2006, 12:17:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

davez

http://homepage.mac.com/szmigiel/FileSharing17.html

The system is kind of a build it yourself RPG to recreate Anime, Kung Fu, Video Game, Tokusatsu, and other highly cinematic settings.

The game is based around a core system that gives everything needed to play; Character Creation, System Mechanics, Equipment, and Combat. Also included are chapters on designing and detailing game worlds. Then there are optional rules that can be added to help create different style games. Rules for harder edge combat, or comedic combat, rules for advanced martial arts, magic, psi, armor, weapons, etc...

It is not a rules lite system, but not overly crunchy. The system does get crunchier as optional rules are added. What I am looking for are people to critique the system, give me feed back about what they like and don't like about the system. What works and what doesn't.

I can also be reached at panicstudios@hotmail.com

Bryan Hansel

I downloaded the main rules and the simple combat rules, but there is way too much for me to read.  I really like the cover.  It's nice.  Is there something specific that you wanted critiqued or some part of the rules that you're not sure about and need feedback on?  The game looks pretty complete as I skimmed over it.  Have you playtested it yet?

davez

Oh yes the system has been play tested for over a decade, starting out as a fairly simple rules lite system back in 92, we used it as one shot silly parody games between campaigns. Then the system started to grow, the group began playing campaigns with it, and it developed into a more robust rules system. Over time I complied the rules and played it with many different groups of players. There has been other versions that have been posted online. I just got done tweaking the system once more trimming away some of the fat and streamlining it.

Most of the people that have played it like the system allot. No it is not revolutionary, it is not going to change the way RPGs are played. I think it has developed into a nice solid system. I am currently developing a few new optional rules for it, including super robots, daikaiju, and super powers.

Since most of the feedback I get is from players who play the game with me, I can answer their questions, and help them interrupt the rules to the way I view them. What I am looking for is feedback from people that have not had played it with me. What they like, what they don't like, which rules seem to clash, what may have been over looked, etc...

I know the system won't be all things to all people, some will think the character generation is to long, saying they like being able to make and play a character in 10 minutes. Others will say the character generation is too short, they like a detailed character system that takes a few hours to make, and it gives the character more personality that way. Some will say too many skills, some will say not enough skills, etc... I still would like to hear opinions on the system. It is opinions that have helped the system grow and change over the years. 

Bryan Hansel

I wonder if you should post in connections and see if you can find some playtesters.  I looked it over again, and I didn't see anything that stuck out as needing fixing.  Having a group other than your own play it would probably find any problems right away.

davez

One of my big concerns is people min/maxing the system, finding loopholes, abusing rules as written, etc... I know those are hard to spot without playing the system, but if you see anything that looks open to abuse I would be interested in hearing about it.

If anyone is interested in just making a few characters, and then letting me know how easy or hard it was, I would appreciate it.