News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

A reading List

Started by Comte, April 18, 2002, 01:10:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Comte

Hey I got a buntch of people intererested in Little Fears recently. I have a play group finally! But I'm going home for three months arrrrgh!!! So I'm amassing a reading list for them to read over the summer. Here is what I got so far...addtions are needed.

Comics
Jonny the Homocidal Maniac
Squee
the Maxx
Gloom Cookie

Books
Stephen King:
It
Desperation
The Regulators
Struwwelpeter
Grimms Fairy Tales

Movies Tv Shows
The City of Lost Children
Happyness
Gummo (setting purpouses)
Invader Zim
The Professional
"I think where I am not, therefore I am where I do not think.
What one ought to say is: I am not whereever I am the plaything of my thought; I think of what I am where I do not think to think."
-Lacan
http://pub10.ezboard.com/bindierpgworkbentch

Jürgen Mayer

If you suggest GloomCookie, I'll also add the Little Gloomie comics from the same publisher. It's all about kid-monsters =)
Movies: maybe Jim Hanson's The Labyrinth as an example of a rescue mission in Gobli..eh..Closetland? Also The Goonies and E.T. for adventuring kids?
Books: IIRC the King novel Talisman  tells the story of a young boy getting in touch with all kinds of strange things?
Jürgen Mayer
Disaster Machine Productions
http://disastermachine.com

Tim Denee

QuoteGummo (setting purpouses)
Christ. So is the setting going to be more terrifying than Closetland itself?

Ron Edwards

Hey Le Comte,

Yeah, I was thinkin' that your list is about as grim and over-the-top as I could imagine. Which is perfectly all right if that's what you want.

I was thinking more about The Phantom Tollbooth, Labyrinth (as Jurgen suggested), The House with a Clock In Its Walls, and similarly spooky-but-not-stupid, kid-oriented material.

Best,
Ron

Jared A. Sorensen

Quote from: Ron EdwardsHey Le Comte,

Yeah, I was thinkin' that your list is about as grim and over-the-top as I could imagine. Which is perfectly all right if that's what you want.

I was thinking more about The Phantom Tollbooth, Labyrinth (as Jurgen suggested), The House with a Clock In Its Walls, and similarly spooky-but-not-stupid, kid-oriented material.

Best,
Ron

Jacob Two Two and the Hooded Fang, baby. Also: A Series of Unfortunate Events (by Lemony Snickett).
jared a. sorensen / www.memento-mori.com

Comte

Hey this is me avoiding a lit paper.  And responding to what everyone had to say.  
   Many of you gave suggestions on the lighter side of the spectrum.  Thankyou for that because I really needed it.  My choise in books and movies was just me looking through my book shelf and DVD collection.  

About the setting being more terrible than closet land itself.  Actually I was thinking about useing parts of it as closet land.  But you rais an excelent point.  Gummo was shot on location in an actual town.  Many of the people in the movie weren't actors but real people.  Children live in places like that.  Fun roleplaying for everyone.  But it really makes oyu think if you changed the setting to an inner city, or a desert outback it would effect the game greatly.  

My two cents.  I'm going back to work.
"I think where I am not, therefore I am where I do not think.
What one ought to say is: I am not whereever I am the plaything of my thought; I think of what I am where I do not think to think."
-Lacan
http://pub10.ezboard.com/bindierpgworkbentch