News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

444 and 345 only options?

Started by Sindyr, March 24, 2006, 08:59:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sindyr

When creating Capes characters by hand, are the only legal options in terms of the three columns to have a 3-4-5 style distribution or a 4-4-4 style distribution? (powers/style/attitudes)

What are the strategic reasons to pick a 4-4-4 setup over a 3-4-5 setup? And vice versa?

How would play be impacted (both pros and cons) if 2-5-5 were allowed?

-Sindyr

Kintara

I'm pretty sure that those are the two configurations, pretty much. As for effectiveness, it's hard to beat 345 because if you don't have a 5, you are locked out of rolling on conflicts when they reach that level. It's not quite as big a deal for non-superpowered characters because they only get to use their abilities once, but Supers can use that level 5 ability each page.

That said, I still create 444 characters. Sometimes the abilities you come up with just fit like that. Sometimes it's aesthetic. 444 is so nice and even. ;)
a.k.a. Adam, but I like my screen name.

Sindyr

-Sindyr

Sindyr

So then, to continue you train of thought, the best strategic and most effective character would be:
5 powers, 4 Styles and 3 Attitudes, and of the 4 Styles, 3 of them are powered.(Probably the level 1 would be unpowered)

This gives you 8 powered abilities: 1 five, and 2 each of ranks 2-4.  You also have 4 one use/scene abilities - 2 ones and 1 each of ranks 2-4.

Is this the best configuration?
-Sindyr

Matthew Glover

I've been curious about the 444 build myself.  I haven't had a chance to really try one out, though, so I haven't gotten to see how it goes in practice.  It just doesn't seem like a very good strategic choice.  You're trading a 5 for a 4, right?

Did the 255/525/552 build get playtested and rejected?  I'd like to hear how that went.,

Sindyr

Trading a 5 for a 4, but also getting a third 4...

I too would like to know about 255 - I know it not allowed, don't know why.
-Sindyr

Hans

Quote from: Sindyr on March 25, 2006, 01:07:38 PM
So then, to continue you train of thought, the best strategic and most effective character would be:
5 powers, 4 Styles and 3 Attitudes, and of the 4 Styles, 3 of them are powered.(Probably the level 1 would be unpowered)

This gives you 8 powered abilities: 1 five, and 2 each of ranks 2-4.  You also have 4 one use/scene abilities - 2 ones and 1 each of ranks 2-4.

The only thing that I think makes a difference is having one powered ability at 5 (either power or style).  I have not found the relative breakdown of the powered vs. blocking abilities matters that much (that is, 5 or 6 blocking abilities, and the relative values of the blocking vs. power styles).  I usually just let the spirit move me on assigning the numbers.  Moreover, I think the exact breakdown is really not as important as another issue, which is the story is driving often driving your choices, not the mechanics.

When it comes right down to it sometimes the ability you WANT to use (because of tactics or mechanics) is the one ability you just can't figure out how to bring into the story in a way that is satisfying to you.    You REALLY want to roll on "Goal: Convince Girl Friend you are a nice guy" and the only ability you can use for it, based on the numbers, is "Apocalyptic Destructive Force 5".  These are the moments where you will see me wracking my brain, and I am pretty darn creative when it comes to using abilities in off the wall ways, but sometimes, I just draw a blank.  There is nothing in the game rules that says I can't use my ability, but my own internal sense of "coolness" or narrative coherence says "nope".  This is part of the fun of Capes; deciding when you make choices based on the story vs. when you make choices based on the game.
* Want to know what your fair share of paying to feed the hungry is? http://www3.sympatico.ca/hans_messersmith/World_Hunger_Fair_Share_Number.htm
* Want to know what games I like? http://www.boardgamegeek.com/user/skalchemist

TonyLB

Quote from: Sindyr on March 25, 2006, 01:07:38 PM

For what goal? 

It does some things very well.  It generates debt well.  Sydney would like it.
Just published: Capes
New Project:  Misery Bubblegum

dunlaing

If my goal in a scene is to lose a lot and generate story tokens, I go 4-4-4 every time.

http://wiki.rpg.net/index.php/GWS:VernichtungTr%C3%A4umer

Sindyr

Quote from: dunlaing on March 27, 2006, 04:07:58 PM
If my goal in a scene is to lose a lot and generate story tokens, I go 4-4-4 every time.

http://wiki.rpg.net/index.php/GWS:VernichtungTr%C3%A4umer

Can't you lose equally well with any setup?

I can see how 444 might not give you as many options to win as 345, but how does 444 give you more options to lose?

Isn't losing simply a matter of letting the other guy win?
-Sindyr

TonyLB

If you are facing a rolled five (more frequent than you'd think) and you say "Well, I'm not going to react that," then you've thrown in the towel and the other guy knows it.  When he goes to distribute his story tokens and says "Who opposed me with the most ferocity?" he is probably going to look to other people. 

If you are facing a rolled five and you say "DAMMIT!  I don't have a five!  I would so totally be thrashing you right now!" then you've just convinced the other guy that you are a more ferocious opponent ... that, but for the accident of your lacking the right ability you would be, even now, doing your level best to thrash him.  When he goes to distribute his story tokens he is going to look at you first.

A subtle point, but it is of such subtleties that the dynamic of the game is made.
Just published: Capes
New Project:  Misery Bubblegum

Sindyr

Is there anything prohibiting having two character sheets for the same hero?  That way you could have a 444 and a 345.

Of course, they would be treated as seperate chararcters...

Maybe a Dr. Jekyl and Mr Hyde thing, but more subtle?

Curiouser and curiouse.

:D
-Sindyr

Sindyr

Still wondering about the "legallity" of the whole two different sheet for two characters...

Actually the Capes rulebook does say "In fact, any time that you want to change any character between sessions, you can do so, as long as you end up with a character that still adheres to the character creation rules."

So I guess you could do this between sessions - so I guess the question becomes any reason to not allow this between scenes?
-Sindyr

drnuncheon

Considering some of the suggestions that have been tossed around here, like statting up different aspects of an entity's personality as different characters (in the Dr. Doom vs. Fantastic Four thread, or for Tony's Dr. Rebecca Achilles in one of the PBPs over at RPGnet), or the whole idea of Robin being both an entry on Batman's sheet and a character in his own right -  I don't think having two different sheets for the same character is all that out of line.

J

Andrew Cooper

Here's a cool idea...

Scene 1:  Play Dr. Evil using character sheet A.  Purposefully get your but handed to you.  Generate debt and story tokens.

Scene 2:  Play Dr. Evil using character sheet B.  Purposefully get your but handed to you.  Generate debt and story tokens.

Scene 3:  Spend 1 story token to play an extra character.  Choose Dr.Evil both sheets.  You now probably have twice the number of story tokens and twice the debt of anyone else and can really put a hurting on those pesky heroes.