News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Key Loss

Started by Lee-Anne O'Reilly, March 27, 2006, 06:02:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lee-Anne O'Reilly

Can anyone suggest a general buyout condition for this key?

Key of Grief

Your character has lost someone or something precious. Gain 1XP every time something reminds you of the loss. Gain 2XP whenever you have to make a decision related to the source of your grief. Gain 5XP if you sacrifice something important out of grief. Buyout: ?

In working out this key, I started to wonder about those keys with a specific focus. What happens to the key if the focus person or thing is removed? What if, for example, someone's ward or beloved dies? What if a character's mission fails in such a way that it will never be possible to complete it?
Lee

rafial

Buy off: Find something or someone to fill the void created by the loss.  If it was the loss of a lover, find a new love.  The loss of a parent?  Find a mentor, or become a parent yourself.  The loss of a child?  Adopt someone younger, actually or metaphorically.  Or take to drink and drugs, by buying off this Key and immediately using the XP to buy the Key of Addiction.

rafial

Quote from: Lee-Anne O'Reilly on March 27, 2006, 06:02:17 PM
In working out this key, I started to wonder about those keys with a specific focus. What happens to the key if the focus person or thing is removed? What if, for example, someone's ward or beloved dies? What if a character's mission fails in such a way that it will never be possible to complete it?

I'd say this could be treated as a buy off condition if the players wants, or the player can hold on to the Key and continue to fulfill it metaphorically.  Impossible mission?  You can still get points for clinging to it quixotically.  Dead ward?  Protect his memory.  Do thing because "Johnny would have wanted it."

JMendes

Hey, :)

Erm...

Buyoff: Get over it.

Seriously, it's that simple, if you want it to be. Sure, some keys require an actual action or situation in order to allow buyoff, but not all. Both Key of Fraternity and Key of the Guardian have as buyoffs a simple "sever the relationship", Key of the Mission's buyoff is "abandon the mission" and Key of Faith's buyoff is "renounce your beliefs".

Love the Key, by the way.

Cheers,
J.
João Mendes
Lisbon, Portugal
Lisbon Gamer

Twobirds

I agree.  If I was the GM, I would require a symbolic act to show you 'got over it'.  Stop wearing black, visit their grave, find someone new to smooch.  You could, if you want, make Memorium part of the key.  I could see 'keeping their memory alive' as a way of earning XP.

Good Key.  Can I steal it?

As for your other question, I would agree outside events can force the Buyoff condition, or you could allow the Key to immediately change into another.

George

Lee-Anne O'Reilly

Thanks, folks. Sometimes simplest is best. And I'm beginning to think that in actual play, buyoffs will tend to be whatever seems dramatically appropriate in the moment.

Please do steal the key. I might just add it to the RandomWiki.
Lee