News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Are abilities *always* available for use?

Started by Sindyr, April 01, 2006, 02:21:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TonyLB

"You can't win.  If you strike me down I will have more Story Tokens then you can even imagine."
Just published: Capes
New Project:  Misery Bubblegum

Sindyr

I love it.

I also imagine a non-physical existence (playing a character after his death) would be freer and more non limiting than playing a living character with the bother of a body and all that entails.

Captain Good (deceased):  "C'mon, Mr Evil.  What're you gonna do, kill me?  Kill my friends?  I've gone beyond death now, thanks to you, and now the rules have changed...  So let's play."
-Sindyr

drnuncheon

Quote from: Sindyr on April 03, 2006, 08:55:41 PM
Captain Good (deceased):  "C'mon, Mr Evil.  What're you gonna do, kill me?  Kill my friends?  I've gone beyond death now, thanks to you, and now the rules have changed...  So let's play."

And Mr. Evil laughs madly in his lair, spending his action to play "Goal: Sully everyone's memory of the late Captain Good."

Just try to tell me you won't be staking your debt on that one.

J

Sindyr

(heh heh)

Captain Good does not care what people think of him - that does not matter.  Captain Good only cares that he still fights against Evil, from beyond the grave...

The amazing thing about playing a dead character is that death loses all its sting as a threat - both versus him and versus the living. ;)

Hey! A cool plot idea - Mr Evil successfully is able to dominate the planet, but Captain Good unleashes Armageddon, killing everyone on the planet and freeing them to experience the same freedom and the Captain does. ;)
-Sindyr

drnuncheon

Quote from: Sindyr on April 04, 2006, 04:40:10 PMCaptain Good does not care what people think of him - that does not matter.  Captain Good only cares that he still fights against Evil, from beyond the grave...

It doens't matter what Captain Good cares about - it matters what Sindyr cares about, because that's what gets the debt tokens flowing.

That said, if you don't invest enough of yourself (and your debt tokens) into the game, nobody's going to care enough to put down the conflicts you are interested in.  They're going to go over to the guy who's all "Yeah! Kidnap my character's girlfriend!  Drag his name through the mud!  Reveal his secret identity to his frail old aunt!", and they're going to say, "Sure, Tony, let us help you get rid of some of that debt you're stacking up."

The other secret of Capes, I think, is to be a story slut.  The more you accept what other people throw down in front of you and run with it, the more they will throw down in front of you.  (The classic rule of improv theater is "Never say No", after all.)

Hey! A cool plot idea - Mr Evil successfully is able to dominate the planet, but Captain Good unleashes Armageddon, killing everyone on the planet and freeing them to experience the same freedom and the Captain does. ;)

I think you've just turned Captain Good into a supervillain, chief.  That's classic twisted villainthink right there.

J

Sindyr

Quote from: drnuncheon on April 04, 2006, 05:11:06 PM

I think you've just turned Captain Good into a supervillain, chief.  That's classic twisted villainthink right there.

J

You would think so, BUT if Captain Good *knows* death is not a limitation or end (because he *is* dead) then death becomes a way to free all those enslaved by Mr. Evil.  It's ironic, but given the premise, it makes sense.

Quote from: Sindyr on April 04, 2006, 04:40:10 PMCaptain Good does not care what people think of him - that does not matter.  Captain Good only cares that he still fights against Evil, from beyond the grave...

It doesn't matter what Captain Good cares about - it matters what Sindyr cares about, because that's what gets the debt tokens flowing.

That said, if you don't invest enough of yourself (and your debt tokens) into the game, nobody's going to care enough to put down the conflicts you are interested in.  They're going to go over to the guy who's all "Yeah! Kidnap my character's girlfriend!  Drag his name through the mud!  Reveal his secret identity to his frail old aunt!", and they're going to say, "Sure, Tony, let us help you get rid of some of that debt you're stacking up."

You misread what I said.  I said that I *will* invest in the stories that interest me and that I enjoy.  It is the other players job to provide said stories in order to make me want to invest debt, it is NOT my job to care about whatever the other players throw down for conflicts, and *give* my debt away.

Story tokens are a reward that players have to *earn* by help us tell the stories that matter to US.  This core concept of Capes is why it rocks.

QuoteThe other secret of Capes, I think, is to be a story slut.  The more you accept what other people throw down in front of you and run with it, the more they will throw down in front of you.  (The classic rule of improv theater is "Never say No", after all.)

It all depends on what *you* want.  If you are content to be part of a story, any story, then reward any and all stories thrown your way.  But if you hate romances, then you would be a fool to fight the conflict: Goal: His girlfriend starts to be attracted to another man.

Because if you do, the other players will see this and only give you more.

Debt is much more than a way to win conflicts - it's a way to reward other players for creating the kinds of conflicts and stories you wish to be involved with.  Don't award it to easily.
-Sindyr

drnuncheon

Quote from: Sindyr on April 04, 2006, 07:22:57 PM
You would think so, BUT if Captain Good *knows* death is not a limitation or end (because he *is* dead) then death becomes a way to free all those enslaved by Mr. Evil.  It's ironic, but given the premise, it makes sense.

And yet, it's just the sort of goal that the other heroes would band together to stop - if they are worthy of the title, that is.

QuoteYou misread what I said.  I said that I *will* invest in the stories that interest me and that I enjoy.  It is the other players job to provide said stories in order to make me want to invest debt, it is NOT my job to care about whatever the other players throw down for conflicts, and *give* my debt away.

Well, here's the thing.  If I've got you and Tony in a game, I'm going to throw down conflicts for Tony, because I know he'll bite, and bite hard.  Remember that each conflict I create is an investment of an action - so I'm going to want to go for the one that I think is most likely to get me the goods.  If I see you ignoring (say) 3 out of the 5 conflicts that get tossed your way, I'm less likely to take a chance on you when I can go after Tony.  (My biggest issue with Tony will be competing with the other people who want a crack at his debt...)

J

Sindyr

Quote from: drnuncheon on April 04, 2006, 07:41:23 PM
Quote from: Sindyr on April 04, 2006, 07:22:57 PM

And yet, it's just the sort of goal that the other heroes would band together to stop - if they are worthy of the title, that is.

That's assuming the other heroes aren't that bright - but if they are, they themselves may join the Captain to better fight Mr. Evil.

QuoteYou misread what I said.  I said that I *will* invest in the stories that interest me and that I enjoy.  It is the other players job to provide said stories in order to make me want to invest debt, it is NOT my job to care about whatever the other players throw down for conflicts, and *give* my debt away.

Well, here's the thing.  If I've got you and Tony in a game, I'm going to throw down conflicts for Tony, because I know he'll bite, and bite hard.  Remember that each conflict I create is an investment of an action - so I'm going to want to go for the one that I think is most likely to get me the goods.  If I see you ignoring (say) 3 out of the 5 conflicts that get tossed your way, I'm less likely to take a chance on you when I can go after Tony.  (My biggest issue with Tony will be competing with the other people who want a crack at his debt...)

J

First of all, you are assuming that Tony and I will ever be in the same game - not sure that that is likely.

More importantly, you are not realizing that I will leave you no dount how to reap massive story tokens from me.

All *you* have to do is followup.
-Sindyr

Sindyr

-Sindyr

Sindyr

To be more explicit, I have no problem writing an essay about different directions I would like to see my hero explore, and email or distribute them to all the other players.

I am not against giving out the story tokens - I just want to get what I am paying for. :)
-Sindyr

TonyLB

Sindyr:  While I can see the history of segues by which we have transitioned from "When can you use abilities?" to "Sindyr believes in limits and boundaries, a reprise" I do not believe that where you are now has anything to do with the title or original intent of the thread.

I suggest you quote this tangent into a new thread that is more appropriately titled.
Just published: Capes
New Project:  Misery Bubblegum

Sindyr

I do believe we have wandered off topic, thank you.  I think the original question was answered, and the naswer is "yes"
-Sindyr

Tuxboy

QuoteYou would think so, BUT if Captain Good *knows* death is not a limitation or end (because he *is* dead) then death becomes a way to free all those enslaved by Mr. Evil.  It's ironic, but given the premise, it makes sense.

That's assuming the other heroes aren't that bright - but if they are, they themselves may join the Captain to better fight Mr. Evil.

*L* But he still just murdered the entire planet, it doesn't matter what his justification was, I'm sure the majority of murderers have justified their reasons to themselves,  To deprive the whole population of their freedom to choose and to live means he is still a mass-murdering supervillain in the mould of Galactus or Darkseid.

It is so hysterically funny to see you try and defend it as a heroic action...now that is irony *LOL*
Doug

"Besides the day I can't maim thirty radioactive teenagers is the day I hang up my coat for good!" ...Midnighter

Sindyr

I will try to briefly explain this quick and simply.

The Captain has died.
The Captain still exists.  He still can have an effect on the world - more than he could when limited by having a human body.  He can even *take* a body when he wishes, for a while.

So the Captain know death is not death - therefore murder is not murder. 

If Mr Evil incarcerates all the good people across the planet, how is the Captain's releasing them form their mortal shell in any way bad?  Thay are still here, can do eveything they could, and much more.
-Sindyr

drnuncheon

Quote from: Sindyr on April 05, 2006, 09:28:01 AMSo the Captain know death is not death - therefore murder is not murder.

I am so stealing this guy for our Capes game.  (Given our style, maybe we need to call it something different though.  Trenchcoats?)

J