News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Website Hosting

Started by Nathan, June 06, 2001, 04:36:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nathan

I wanted to hear everyone's thoughts on website hosting out there. Has anyone found any amazing deals w/ lots of features for very little? How does everyone feel about free hosters and what not?

Currently, I host mysticages.com through Powersurge.net, which gives me a ton of space, lots of nifty gadgets, good support, for fairly cheap. Anyone else have any good tips?

Also, if anyone needs a step up of space, let me know as I may be able to host you on mine. Currently, I host newerarpg.com (still under construction) and I am about to host darkomengames.com (Junk rocks!). I don't have time to webmaster, but I can help in some manner.

Thanx,
Nathan
-------------------------------------------
http://www.mysticages.com/
Serving imagination since '99
Eldritch Ass Kicking:
http://www.eldritchasskicking.com/
-------------------------------------------

Clinton R. Nixon

I really can't say it enough:

cedant.com
cedant.com
cedant.com

Guess where indie-rpgs.com is hosted?
Clinton R. Nixon
CRN Games

Clay

I've had good luck with Dreamhost (www.dreamhost.com, tell them dowlingc sent you and I get perks).  I can't speak to Cedant, but next time I need a hosting service, I'll give them a whirl.  I just looked at their prices and they begin to look very attractive.  

I could make good money reselling that for web design clients.... maybe I should give it a look.
Clay Dowling
RPG-Campaign.com - Online Campaign Planning and Management

Clinton R. Nixon

Clay--

I've used Dreamhost, too, and I was really disappointed. I seemed to get a lot of downtime (especially on e-mail service), and general technical problems up the ass. Their web interface is nice, but cedant's gives you a few really nice perks:

* A web-based file browser for changes and whatnot
* Web-based e-mail checking
* Free MySQL database with PHPMyAdmin (a web interface to work with MySQL)

Cons to cedant:

* Only one account. You can have multiple e-mail addresses (a huge amount, actually), but only one FTP and SSH account.
* No sub-domains. One account gets one domain. That's why I can't offer xxx.indie-rpgs.com to anyone.

Still, I wouldn't go back. I'm hosting indie-rpgs.com, acid-reflex.com, and adept-press.com on Cedant, and love it. I've still got sorcerer-rpg.com on Dreamhost, and am itching to get it off.
Clinton R. Nixon
CRN Games

Clay

I'd probably best stay with Dreamhost then.  I haven't had the technical problems that you have, but I came on a little later, so I'm probably on the newer servers.  I only had one downtime incident.

Also, I make extensive use of the sub-domains that come with Dreamhost.  Cedant would wind up costing me more in a hurry.
Clay Dowling
RPG-Campaign.com - Online Campaign Planning and Management