News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Breaking News: The Nordic Tradition is a Lie

Started by Peter Nordstrand, April 04, 2006, 05:27:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peter Nordstrand

I'm going to tell you straight up: There is no "Nordic tradition", or whatever those Fins and that Norwegian guy Erik Flatsomething is talking about. I know, this is probably a big surprise to you, but it is true. The "Nordic Tradition" is just that thing that those Fins and that Norwegian guy Erik Flatsomething is talking about. Really? Yes. Really!

I am sure that whatever it is they are doing is fine and fulfilling and groundbreaking and whatever, but, well, I'm not part of it. Most of us are not.

Oh, and if you wonder why the Fins so emphatically keep saying that "it" isn't called Scandinavia, it is because they don't live in here. So now you know.

It feels good to get it off my chest.
Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice.
     —Grey's Law

Peter Nordstrand

—Grey's Law

rafial

Peter Nordstrand

They could be one and the same, for all I know. I don't know these Nordic Tradition people. Actually, I think they were all the brain child of Ralph Mazza, as part of some bizarre scheme simultaneously related to the US invasion of Iraq and meat-eating. That is all I can tell you, right now. Got to go put on my tinfoil cap.
     —Grey's Law

Bryan Hansel

Well, of course, the Nordic Tradition is a lie.  Here in Minnesota, we invented it to draw tourists to our very own Kensington Rune Stone. (http://farshores.org/avikston.htm)  And so we could name our football team the Vikings.  And it gave us the permission to say, "You bettcha."

Peter Nordstrand

Roleplaying draws tourists to Minnesota? That's bizarre.

;-)
     —Grey's Law

Shreyas Sampat

Clyde L. Rhoer

Theory from the Closet , A Netcast/Podcast about RPG theory and design.
clyde.ws, Clyde's personal blog.

Valamir

The Nordic Tradition is all part of my secret plot to take over the world with a cult of free forming viking Larpists based in Minnesota who eat only bacon.  But you can't blame me for Iraq, that was all Dubya's idea, he wanted a war and couldn't spell South Korea...me, I was pushing for France.

mmmm....bacon.

greyorm

Rev. Ravenscrye Grey Daegmorgan
Wild Hunt Studio

Larry L.

I'm totally one of those people who every time I see the Vikings logo, thinks "Hey! Vikings didn't have horns!" But what can you do?

My late grandfather owned a cap with stuffed horns sewn on. The front read "Horny Norsk." He seemed to think this was a hoot, which was disturbing seeing as it was, you know, my grandfather. Oddly, this was my German grandfather, not the Norwegian one.

If it is necessary for me to consume more bacon for Ralph, than so be it.

Peter Nordstrand

Hm ... why did I derail this? My first post is actually entirely true. Well, except that I do know Eirik Flathead's real name.
     —Grey's Law

J. Tuomas Harviainen

And Peter is of course actually correct. Just like it's been said before, the experientialists are only a small, if influential minority (or a small, if influential figment of imagination) in the Nordic area (or was it Minnesota). And there are lots of fans of the "plain fun" school of thought who want nothing to do with the few hundred people into the experientialist scene.

As we all know, it's really just a celebrity cult. The most visible innovators just happen to be from those circles, and are good at presenting themselves as important. And it's called Nordic only because that's a convenient label. It isn't really like anything actually interesting, important or international as far as role-playing is concerned ever happens here. We're just insignificant art-dreamers with delusions of grandeur and too much time.

Ben Lehman

Hey, Tuomas.  What happened with your paper thing?  Can I talk about it now?

talysman

Quote from: J. Tuomas Harviainen on April 05, 2006, 02:27:44 AM
And there are lots of fans of the "plain fun" school of thought

Why did I wackyparse this as "plain fur"?
John Laviolette
(aka Talysman the Ur-Beatle)
rpg projects: http://www.globalsurrealism.com/rpg