News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Another Mage Blade thread: Title

Started by Lance D. Allen, April 11, 2002, 10:34:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Walt Freitag

Witchblade: not only a comic book, but now also a syndicated TV show

The Sword Within: Just for the record, I hate it. (But it wouldn't stop me from playing it, and I'm outvoted so far).

How about:

Prime Sphere (looking for a phrase from within your system write-up)

Old Schools (referring, of course, to the venerable academies from which mages learn their craft)(1)

Arms and Aether (but you use "void" instead of aether) or Aether and Steel

Sorceror and Sword? uh, Magebabe? Animannaiacs? Cast-or-foil? Spellchucker? A Swing and a Myth? This is hard...

(1) I like this one. Of course, I don't consider "old school" derogatory, which might put me in the minority here.

- Walt
Wandering in the diasporosphere

Christoffer Lernö

Quote from: Mike HolmesMana War?

Actually that's not too bad me thinks. But maybe not what Lance wants.
formerly Pale Fire
[Yggdrasil (in progress) | The Evil (v1.2)]
Ranked #1005 in meaningful posts
Indie-Netgaming member

Brian Hose

Hi Lance,

Ummm...well I can't really offer too much advice except a variationon what J B Bell said...

"A real-world suggestion: invest in a thesaurus. And not any wimp-ass "dictionary-style" thesaurus. What, can't do two lookups (word -> number -> list) to find what you want? What are you, some kinda intellectual midget? Hell no, you're not! You want Roget's, International, Big Goddamn Thesaurus with TWO thumb-indexes. No creative person who uses words should be without this baby."

'Roget's' is certainly an invaluable resource but what lead you to Mage Blade?

When I'm trying to find new words I start with the dictionary, find the core meaning of your words.  Often that is enough to inspire me by giving me sense of the core meaning.

I hope you find what you're looking for, here are just few words on teh theme of mage, magic, blade and swordsman I've found:

Mage - occult, thaumaturgist, Glamor, shamanism, mysticism, sorcery, cabalistic, phylacteric, incantatory and conjure.

Blade - arms, sword, brand, steel, cold steel, cold iron, dudgeon (?), sabruer, lancer, champion, crusader.

Or (and this just occurred to me) what about stepping outside the egnlish language:

Vae victus
cuirassier
ultima ratio regnum
guerre a mort
diablierie
agnus Dei
ecstatica
deus ex machina
(these are all real words!)

Anywho, just wanted to help.
Brian.
"Cowards die many times before their deaths:
The valiant never taste of death but once." - Julius Caesar II, 2.

Lance D. Allen

I did a refined search of "mage blade" limiting it to exact phrase, and then actually perused the 200 or so results. It turns out that all results either refer to an item in a game (One game mentioned very often was Shadowrun) a mistake (as in a list with entries like "Storm Mage, Blade Master) etc. The only consistent reference which did not refer to a specific item or was a mistake was to a British RP group consisting of about 6-7 people. I e-mailed the group and asked about use of the name...

I'm happy to say that Mage Blade is here to stay, and that Mage Blade is interested in playing the game of the same name once it is fully fleshed out. Yay.
~Lance Allen
Wolves Den Publishing
Eternally Incipient Publisher of Mage Blade, ReCoil and Rats in the Walls

Bailey

Kick Ass.  Mage Blade is a fun name.
Signature:
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit

HTML is OFF
BBCode is ON
Smilies are ON