News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Another Mage Blade thread: Title

Started by Lance D. Allen, April 11, 2002, 10:34:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lance D. Allen

Well, Mike pointed out to me in PMs that there are about 52000 instances of "Mage Blade" on the web, most dealing with roleplaying in some way or another. While I knew when I chose the name that it wasn't 100% original, I didn't know it was that widely used.

So now I'm left with a dilemma: Do I keep the name despite the wide usage on the net, or do I try to find a new name which fits the game as well as Mage Blade did?

I'd like your opinions on this, and from those who believe they understand the premise (despite my inability to aptly phrase it) suggestions on alternate names, should I decide to change it.

Thanks.
~Lance Allen
Wolves Den Publishing
Eternally Incipient Publisher of Mage Blade, ReCoil and Rats in the Walls

Ron Edwards

Hi Lance,

Debates about game names haven't been common on the Forge, and given the few examples, I think I know why. Basically, when asking this question, the designer is saying "Think for me," and that's an impossible thing to do. I could suggest names that I would like if I were writing a game like yours ... I could suggest names that work for me for the game I think (but do not know) you are creating ... but I can' t suggest a name that does work for you for the game that you really are creating. All I can do is free-associate and you would have to do the "gee is that any good" assessment anyway.

So therefore, I'm afraid, this task is yours. Your game, your vision, your name.

Best,
Ron

P.S. Yeah, OK, I know, Dav got "Violence Future" via Forge discussion. So this post isn't intended to shut this thread or Lance's question down. If anyone wants to launch into naming Lance's game, go for it.

Jared A. Sorensen

jared a. sorensen / www.memento-mori.com

Ron Edwards

Hey,

You know, it strikes me that people might interpret my post as a Moderator statement when it wasn't. Plus it was nothing but a downer.

Lance pointed out to me, rightly, that Penny Dreadful also got its (excellent) name from discussion, so basically, I was being the Bad Old Man in the Corner, just grumblin' and mumblin'.

Mage Blade? New name? Big ol' discussion, go.

Best,
Ron

Jared A. Sorensen

I like the name Mage Blade.

But from what I've seen, it ain't a good title for Lance's game.

I'm of the mind set that a name should be informative, evocative or (best of worlds) BOTH. See this thread for details.

So right, Mage Blade. Mages with Blades. Or some kind of crazy magic uber-weapon. Big anime fight scenes. Huge monsters. Little spiky-haired dudes with huge swords a'choppin'.

Or not.

I don't think it's a big deal that your game has the same name as another. Just make sure it's the right name.

J B Bell

I love working on names, personally, and can crank out a hundred an hour once I get going.  A real-world suggestion:  invest in a thesaurus.  And not any wimp-ass "dictionary-style" thesaurus.  What, can't do two lookups (word -> number -> list) to find what you want?  What are you, some kinda intellectual midget?  Hell no, you're not!  You want Roget's, International, Big Goddamn Thesaurus with TWO thumb-indexes.  No creative person who uses words should be without this baby.

So, the way I think of it is colored by my not really getting the mechanics--they look D&Dish, and my eyes glaze over.  But it's cool to get to the brass tacks of Western magic and go for elements, and cooler still to have mages that are not skinny, pasty-faced, wasted little critters who fall over if you give them a stern look.  No, these guys can whoop ass with the best of 'em.  So really, Mage Blade is pretty good.  But it doesn't say anything much about the quality of the magic (your sourcing of it, incidentally, is remarkably like the Asian notions of qi, but I digress).

I immediately thought of a forge because, well, duh, and the alchemists were also into the elements and they had forges and--ha-ha!  Crucibles.  Now, you use your Crucible to transform the elements one into another, and it also implies something that tests and strengthens a person.  So there's one nice word.  What about the butt-kicking bit?

Mage Crucible.  Hm.  Crucible Quarrel!  Nope.  Crucible & Quarterstaff!  Hee hee hee.  The Sword's Crucible.  Well, passable fantasy story title, but I dunno about your game.  Blade and Crucible.  Well, there we have the "blah & blah" pattern, but it's not "Environment & Monster" at least.

Oooh, I just happened upon a big huge list of armor synonyms.  Crucible Aegis has a nice ring all right.  Doesn't make much sense, mind, but it sounds cool.  Wow, how about that, apparently "bilbo" is a word for some kind of sword.  Sabre Crucible!  Now we're into Final Fantasy territory again.

Well, there you go.  Maybe you'll like one of those, but my main point is to show what fun it is to just walk around a thesaurus.  Let the riffing continue!

--JB
"Have mechanics that focus on what the game is about. Then gloss the rest." --Mike Holmes

Lance D. Allen

Quote from: Jared SorensenI like the name Mage Blade.

But from what I've seen, it ain't a good title for Lance's game.

I'm of the mind set that a name should be informative, evocative or (best of worlds) BOTH. See this thread for details.

So right, Mage Blade. Mages with Blades. Or some kind of crazy magic uber-weapon. Big anime fight scenes. Huge monsters. Little spiky-haired dudes with huge swords a'choppin'.

I remember your take on this in our conversation, and I know the reason why.. But I think that was more the way I was attempting (poorly) to get the wider possibilities of the game across to you. Fact is though, while it is perfectly acceptable to play a farmboy, the game mechanics, setting and all will strongly encourage wizards and warriors, or the amalgam of both personified by the title of MageBlade. And, I find it odd that you mention "some kind of crazy magic uber-weapon" because that's exactly what the Mage Blade *is*... A legendary weapon of unsurpassable power. ...but that's going a bit off track.

Suffice to say, I also like the name Mage Blade, as I feel it is evocative of the game. But with the myriad uses of it out there, I suppose I'm best off picking something more original.

So what do you all think of Witchblade? ::an aside as someone unseen whispers into his ear:: Oh. Seems some comic book's already taken it. Sorcerous Sharp-Object?

Seriously though. I appreciate any serious suggestions ::pokes at Jared for the suggestion of Dragon-Lance:: and I think I'll take Ron's advice, and take the long view of things. Keep in mind that any mentions of Mage Blade from here on out refer to a working title, and if anything occurs to you during any future discussions of my game, feel free to let me know. Otherwise, I'm going to leave off stressing about a name, until such time as I decide if/when I intend to publish in any way requiring me to pitch it as a product (kinda need a solid name for that, after all).
~Lance Allen
Wolves Den Publishing
Eternally Incipient Publisher of Mage Blade, ReCoil and Rats in the Walls

Jared A. Sorensen

Quote from: J B BellWell, there we have the "blah & blah" pattern, but it's not "Environment & Monster" at least.

This is just the kind of guy I am, but I totally love the name "Environment & Monster" for a game. That's great!

Clinton R. Nixon

I'm probably going to get laughed off of here, but I was thinking about wizards, and the fact that their main weapon lies within themselves, and the idea of power coming from some sort of Zen peace that allows you to lash out with perfect balance, and the name came to me:

The Sword Within.

I dunno. I like it.
Clinton R. Nixon
CRN Games

Mike Holmes

Unfortunately a lot of cool terms have become so overused that they are now plagued by a sense of "Kewlness". So you can't use storm or dragon or many other terms without having that problem. And the more outlandish you get, the more you get that effect as well. So watch out with JB's thesaurus. You might end up with The Thamturge's Claymore. Which just sounds overwrought. Mage Blade was simple.

The other side of the coin is too cliche. Wizard Sword, frex. Or Spell Warriors. Something like Magic Warriors. is just too plain and obvious. Also, do not be tempted to use a name from the setting. Nothing  worse than another Swords of Kalindar. Also, I'd avoid a word amalgam or new version of a word, unless it was a really good one. So no Arcanewar or Arcania.

So I'm coming up with more don'ts than do's. Hmm....makes it really hard. Mana Warriors? No, that falls into at least three of my own listed traps. Spellslayers? Yick. Battlemagic? Magic Battle? Mana War? Spellfight? Nah.

Conquering Spell?

I give up.

Mike
Member of Indie Netgaming
-Get your indie game fix online.

Mike Holmes

Quote from: Clinton R NixonThe Sword Within.

Hey, that's not bad.

Mike
Member of Indie Netgaming
-Get your indie game fix online.

Balbinus

Quote from: Clinton R NixonI'm probably going to get laughed off of here, but I was thinking about wizards, and the fact that their main weapon lies within themselves, and the idea of power coming from some sort of Zen peace that allows you to lash out with perfect balance, and the name came to me:

The Sword Within.

I dunno. I like it.

I'd second this, it's a good and intriguing name.
AKA max

Valamir

I like it too.  But it screams for a very focused game which concentrates on on the nature of Mages as warriors and that the source of their power comes from within.  Combined with that well used cliche about double edged swords, "The Sword Within" would really have some serious potential as a gripping central feature to a game.

Clinton R. Nixon

Quote from: ValamirBut it screams for a very focused game which concentrates on on the nature of Mages as warriors and that the source of their power comes from within. Combined with that well used cliche about double edged swords, "The Sword Within" would really have some serious potential as a gripping central feature to a game.

I agree with that. With some focus, though, Mage Blade could turn out to be rockin'. (It's definitely one of the games I'm most excited about right now.)
Clinton R. Nixon
CRN Games

Nathan

I would suggest the best name of them all:

ELDRITCH ASS KICKING

But of course, it's already taken.

http://www.mysticages.com/eak">http://www.mysticages.com/eak
-------------------------------------------
http://www.mysticages.com/
Serving imagination since '99
Eldritch Ass Kicking:
http://www.eldritchasskicking.com/