News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Watchmen ... what's up with the ending?

Started by quozl, April 05, 2006, 12:31:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Halzebier

Quote from: Clyde L. Rhoer on April 06, 2006, 07:53:01 PMI have to wonder at his motivations. His hero is Alexander a man who tried to conquer the world and was fairly successful at it. This seems to point at some inner motivation in his choice of solutions. Whether Adrian is aware of those motivations I can't say, I think he's disturbed.

Adrian, too, changes. He loses his respect for Alexander and adopts Ramses II as his idol. So he starts out as an immature megalomaniac, which is forgivable, and ends up as a mature one, which is not (and much more chilling).

Regards,

Hal

Calithena

Joshua - I go with your original interpretation of Dr. Manhattan. The relief he feels at finding Laurie with Dan is relief at being able to let the last vestige of his humanity go, since he doesn't want it any more. The assumption of godhood goes hand in glove with that.

I realized with horror reading this thread that I'm much more sympathetic to Ozymandias now than I was as a teenager.

Joshua A.C. Newman

Yeah, dig: he feels artificially constrained by his humanity. It's like a school uniform.
the glyphpress's games are Shock: Social Science Fiction and Under the Bed.

I design books like Dogs in the Vineyard and The Mountain Witch.