News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

With Great Power - Online?

Started by Doc Blue, April 26, 2006, 09:28:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doc Blue

Has anyone run WGP online (I'm thinking Forum based, or play-by-email)?  Or does anyone have any thoughts around that?  I've got a hankering to try WGP, but my schedule won't currently allow the addition of another face-to-face game....

chris_moore

No thoughts, but I'm very interested in playing.

Chris Moore
Iowa Indie Gamers!

Michael S. Miller

Sorry for the delay. I've been drowning in overtime and must've missed this one.

It's obvious that I didn't design WGP for online play. Making it happen would likely require a single person (likely the GM) to manage all the decks, then e-mail or IM the cards that the players drew (although it's possible that a player might manage the hero deck). I'm very unfamiliar with online play, but I can't see getting around the need to have physical decks somewhere.

Stealing cards would need to rely on the honor system. Whoever has been canceled or defeated letters their cards (A, B, C, etc.), then the canceler or victor chooses a letter, then the canceled/defeated tells them what card they chose.

If the game happens, let me know. I might even be interested in playing.
Serial Homicide Unit Hunt down a killer!
Incarnadine Press--The Redder, the Better!

Brand_Robins

Folks are putting together WGP decks and such on the Foundry MUSH as we speak (its amazing what you can code in MU code). Shouldn't be too long before it's up and working.

The Foundry is at (telnet or mush client): legendary.org 7777
- Brand Robins

Kai_lord

Quote from: Michael S. Miller on May 04, 2006, 10:19:49 AM
It's obvious that I didn't design WGP for online play. Making it happen would likely require a single person (likely the GM) to manage all the decks, then e-mail or IM the cards that the players drew (although it's possible that a player might manage the hero deck). I'm very unfamiliar with online play, but I can't see getting around the need to have physical decks somewhere.

Eh, a properly designed bot could do it easily. IRC supports the ability to send private messages to each person, so when you "draw" a card from the virtual deck, it gets added to that player's hand, and each person can tell the bot that they want a list of cards in their hand at will.

When they spend the card on a conflict, they just tell the bot which card in their hand is being used, and the card gets moved to the page of conflict as appropriate.

Quote from: Michael S. Miller on May 04, 2006, 10:19:49 AM
Stealing cards would need to rely on the honor system. Whoever has been canceled or defeated letters their cards (A, B, C, etc.), then the canceler or victor chooses a letter, then the canceled/defeated tells them what card they chose.

Likewise, a properly designed bot can support the random stealing of cards from one player's hand to another.

Once I get my Capes bot shaken down, I was already planning on writting a WGP bot to assist play. I'll let you know when it's ready for testing.
Current Verson of Capes IRC Bot, CapesVTT:
Get it
here