News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Gods - A Capes Hack

Started by Bret Gillan, May 04, 2006, 11:07:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eric Sedlacek

Quote from: Bret Gillan on May 06, 2006, 11:40:59 PMYou guys are thinking about this too much.

I must protest.  That never happens here.

Quote from: Bret Gillan on May 06, 2006, 11:40:59 PMI could be convinced to send you what I have right now for playtesting, but since the changes are minor and untested, I don't want to waste anyone's time.

Give the shiny!  Give the shiny!

...or polish it a bit more if you must.

Chris Peterson

Quote from: Bret Gillan on May 06, 2006, 11:40:59 PM
Quote from: Chris Peterson on May 06, 2006, 01:09:21 AM
As Capes breaks games into scenes and pages, how would one break up Ages? The Wikipedia article about geologic time scales says Eons > Periods > Epochs > Stages, but where might an Age fit in?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geologic_time_scale
You guys are thinking about this too much. An Age could be anywhere from a couple of months to a lifetime to the birth and death of a star. The scope of the game will be very fluid (spanning anything from a continent to a universe to multiple dimensions, depending on the player group preferences). While I'm not opposed to Kai_lord's idea, I'm going to get some Actual Play under my belt first before I worry about making sure an Age has an "appropriate mythic end." I appreciate everyone's input, advice, and enthusiasm, and I'll be sure to come back to it once I start bumping into problems in play, but I'm not going to try and fix problems that haven't actually come up through Actual Play.

Bret, you are probably right. I just think good names are very helpful for teaching and framing/inspiring creativity. And anyways, I kinda like the Capes sound-a-like names of "scenes-->eons" and "pages-->ages".  <:D
chris

Bret Gillan

Chris,

Ha! I never thought of that. While I don't want to go overboard with changing the names of Capes concepts, the soundalike thing is pretty neat. I'll mull it over.

Bret Gillan

So it looks like my playtesting Gods may not be happening anytime soon. My Charnel Gods campaign is gobbling up free nights that could potentially get used for playtesting. These losers need to get to Humanity 0 stat. Also, I got to thinking about it, and seriously, since at this point I'm just pushing it as a free hack, who gives a rip about putting it up on the internet, warts and all?  So here it is, Gods playtest draft 1, replete with typos and little in the way of justification for its existence. ;) Let me know what you think (and most of you have already), and if anyone takes it for a spin let me know how it goes.

Sindyr

If I read your supplement correctly, you have done away with the interlock system, Gods are a collection of 5 non-powered abilities, and Creations are a collection of 5 powered abilities? You can only have one God in play, but you can have multiple Creations in play, assuming you pay the extra ST's.  So the Gods and Creations do not interlock in any way, and indeed are seperate entities, yes?  Just double checking, as this arrangment seem so different from Capes where you play *one* entity that has 12 abilities made from mixing 2 templates.
-Sindyr

Bret Gillan

You read correctly, but Gods and Creations are interlinked in that a Creation is tied to a God and can only be employed by that God in an Age.

I should also mentioned that all Debt accrued by a Creation belongs to that Creation's God, not the Creation itself. This is one thing that I'll need to stay vigilant of in playtesting, since it means that having multiple Creations in an Age can pile on the Debt.

De Reel

Bret, you dance like a star ! Meaning : you are combining equilibrium and dynamics.

Fighting for control seemed to me a bit hazardous in a long-term, but now I am sure you have thought of the equilibrating principle in terms of game mechanics.
-I roll one in all (5)
- you botch