News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Alternate Click-n-Locks

Started by Josh Roby, May 04, 2006, 06:07:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josh Roby

I may be convincing my brothers to play our traditional summertime roleplaying game in Capes instead of something boring.  We're not too keyed up on superheroes, but the two of them are all about the big epic fantasy.  Has anybody made alternative sets of click-n-locks, for fantasy or for anything else?
On Sale: Full Light, Full Steam and Sons of Liberty | Developing: Agora | My Blog

Zamiel

Quote from: Joshua BishopRoby on May 04, 2006, 06:07:15 PM
I may be convincing my brothers to play our traditional summertime roleplaying game in Capes instead of something boring.  We're not too keyed up on superheroes, but the two of them are all about the big epic fantasy.  Has anybody made alternative sets of click-n-locks, for fantasy or for anything else?

In fact, I have a set of alternates I never quite finished I called Armour. If you toss me an email, I'll get you the PDF.
Blogger, game analyst, autonomous agent architecture engineer.
Capes: This Present Darkness, Dragonstaff

Hans

Please report your experience using Capes for Epic Fantasy if you do use it.  I for one would be interested to see how it works.
* Want to know what your fair share of paying to feed the hungry is? http://www3.sympatico.ca/hans_messersmith/World_Hunger_Fair_Share_Number.htm
* Want to know what games I like? http://www.boardgamegeek.com/user/skalchemist

drnuncheon

I plan to work some up for our modern urban fantasy/horror game - vampires, werewolves, demons, that kind of thing - but I haven't gotten around to it yet.  When I have some I'll post again...

J

Chris Peterson

There are some Actual Play posts on these forums if you search for [Fantasy Capes]. I was thinking about making my own fantasy-inspired click-n-locks to be called "Cloaks" (but this name is probably too close to "Capes") or "Chainmail" (but this name is probably too close to that other "Chainmail"). <:)

There seems to be a lot of posts recently about alternate Capes settings. Nice gig if your game system grows its own supporting ecosystem!
chris

TonyLB

For myself, I've been reading a lot of DragonBall Z and watching a lot of Naruto, and that's certainly been filling my mind with alternate click-n-lock possibilities.  Super-Saiyan + Simple Soul anyone?
Just published: Capes
New Project:  Misery Bubblegum

Glendower

Quote from: Joshua BishopRoby on May 04, 2006, 06:07:15 PM

Making alternate click-n-locks is easy stuff, not to mention fun!  Get together and everyone make a pile of heroes and monsters.  Guaranteed great time. 

I've done the Epic Fantasy Capes, based on the Forgotten Realms gameworld.  My AP reports are somewhere around.  And let me tell you, it's a great deal of fun!
Hi, my name is Jon.

Andrew Cooper

I didn't do click and locks when we did Fantasy Capes but I did create a bunch of characters.  Click and locks would definately be cool though and pretty easy to do, I think.  The major lesson I learned when when creating the fantasy characters will probably help you with developing click and locks.  Entertaining wording is much more effective than terseness in coming up with Powers, Styles and Personalities.  For example, the Stype "Too stupid to be confused." got used a whole lot more and with more enthusiasm than "Stupid".  Sure, I could have put "Stupid" down without really changing the essential character but the players really latched on to the first incarnation and were pretty ho-hum about the second.

"Kill! Maim! Destroy! And put big hickeys on all the fair damsels!" is better than "Pillage and Plunder"
"Fire, Explosions and Massive Destruction." is better than "Evocation Magic"

That isn't to say that every Power on the sheet has to be hugely evocative but the ones that really push the flavor you want for the game should be.

Hans

Several people have mentioned actual play posts regarding different genres for Capes.  While I am not going to search these out (because I am limiting myself to just the Muse of Fire forum and frankly Capes Fantasy doesn't really interest me that much), if anyone does happen to find these posts, please feel free to add them to the FAQ under the question "Can Capes be played in other genres?" near the top so that future readers can find them easily.
* Want to know what your fair share of paying to feed the hungry is? http://www3.sympatico.ca/hans_messersmith/World_Hunger_Fair_Share_Number.htm
* Want to know what games I like? http://www.boardgamegeek.com/user/skalchemist

Kai_lord

Quote from: Gaerik on May 05, 2006, 09:21:13 AM
That isn't to say that every Power on the sheet has to be hugely evocative but the ones that really push the flavor you want for the game should be.

I've found that's true no matter what the genre. For instance, my crazy conspircy nut from my last game of Capes had "That's not overkill!" as one of his styles.
Current Verson of Capes IRC Bot, CapesVTT:
Get it
here

drnuncheon

Here's a page that might be useful.  More to come later.

Undead Click & Locks (46K pdf) - Necromancer, Walking Dead, Haunting Spirit, two types of vampires (Brute and Elder) and the "Mob" persona.

J

drnuncheon

Quote from: drnuncheon on May 05, 2006, 12:05:30 PM
Here's a page that might be useful.

Apparently Tony's Flash is not playing nice with my PDF writer.  I'm going to try again later from home.

TonyLB

Yeah, that's wacky, with the way it hammered the fonts.  I don't have a PDF writer myself, or I'd totally have tested it.  I'd love to be able to make a little file of PDFs out of the Flash ... I just don't love it to the extent of laying out the price Adobe charges for that product.
Just published: Capes
New Project:  Misery Bubblegum

dunlaing

It works for me. Maybe you need to have the fonts on your system? What PDF writer are you using? (I'm using the one that installs as a "printer" when you install Acrobat Professional 6.0)

drnuncheon

Quote from: drnuncheon on May 05, 2006, 03:54:10 PM
Apparently Tony's Flash is not playing nice with my PDF writer.  I'm going to try again later from home.

And OSX for the win - new file without messed up printing in place.

J