News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

[TSOY] How many (fudge) dice do I need?

Started by Halzebier, May 08, 2006, 02:37:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Halzebier

Hi there!

I'm preparing for TSOY Revised and I wonder how many fudge dice I will need for myself and my group. They're quite expensive and not easy to get in Germany at the moment, so I'll probably have to pay quite a bit for shipping and handling and don't want to under- or overorder 'em.

As far as I can see: 3 dice per player, plus bonus dice. But how many bonus dice for a typical game of TSOY?

And have you found it useful to have more dice on hand to represent the three pools (different colors and up to ten, right?), the dice you can give to other players (another four or five per player) and bonus and penalty dice (none of which are actually rolled or are they)?

(I only ever play 1 game for every 5 I mentally prepare for, but I'm getting better and I like to have optimum materials on hand. Poker chips worked nicely for The Mountain Witch and I *did* get to play that.)

Regards

Hal

Clinton R. Nixon

Hal,

First, I highly suggest making your own with d6's and a sharpie - it's much cheaper.

As the GM, I usually want about 15-20 dice around. I figure any conflict requires 6 of those, and probably more like 8-9 before it's over. The rest are for security, if we have more people in a conflict or whatever. In a small group, I like to go ahead and give out gift dice as actual dice to throw around, using up quite a few. (9 for a three person game, 16 for four, and so on.) In larger groups, poker chips or something else will work just as well.
Clinton R. Nixon
CRN Games

Ricky Donato

In larger groups, poker chips or something else will work just as well.

In fact, I use poker chips all the time for gift dice, just so that no one gets confused as to whether or not gift dice have been spent.
Ricky Donato

My first game in development, now writing first draft: Machiavelli

Andrew Cooper

I went to a hobby store and picked up a couple of packages of 3/4 inch wooden blocks.  I then spray painted them white.  After the paint dried, I used a Sharpie to put +'s on two side and -'s on two sides.  Then I used a clear matte finish on them.  These look pretty good and work well.  Plus, they're easy to do.

Eero Tuovinen

Personally, I ordered a 1000 dice from a manufacturer, so now I'm playing with about 50 dice on the table. Whee.

If you end up deciding to buy your own dice, I can sell you some at 50c per plus postage, which is what we ask from the Finns we sell to. No idea how much the postage to Germany'd be, though. As for numbers, what I recommend for our Finnish customers is 10 dice, or 30 if you want to use actual dice for the gift dice.
Blogging at Game Design is about Structure.
Publishing Zombie Cinema and Solar System at Arkenstone Publishing.

Halzebier

I'm a bit of a dice collector, so I'll certainly buy dice for TSOY. Thanks for the numbers - I guess I'll go with a luxurous Grey Ghost double pack (i.e. 40 dice) or maybe some runic fudge dice from Paizo (much more expensive, though).

Thanks everybody!

Hal