News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

The danger of Maximum Game Fun

Started by Web_Weaver, May 14, 2006, 07:21:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Web_Weaver

I considered throwing this straight into the toolbox thread, but think it may require some discussion.

I believe there is an inherent danger in the "Maximum Game Fun" maxim, as expressed in HeroQuest. The description of this in the rules (p190) is fine, but it can lead to potential problems.

I have seen this maxim used in a dysfunctional way, when it masks an unclear or distorted agenda.

The key is Maximum Game Fun is not to be confused with Maximum Narrator Fun. If the narrator has a preconceived ideal that is not stated (or stated unclearly) he can make assumptions about what fun is. This is especially prevalent in Simulationist play, which is an agenda that can go unrecognised as it has narrative aspects and often goes hand in hand with Gamism.

But to avoid the whole GNS learning curve here are some possibilities:

Situation: The narrator that is trying to recreate a novel or genre and thinks that everyone is on board because they all agree with that premise.
Pitfall: If the players diverge from the vision, the narrator may attempt to force the players back into line by holding up the novel or genre as an example of fun story. "It's more fun if we deal with the moral considerations here, just like in <insert moral driven novel here>. So maybe you wouldn't just kill them."

Situation: A narrator is concerned with realism of background and an authentic world.
Pitfall: The narrator halts play in the middle of extended contests to adjust his bad guys because they shouldn't be so easy to beat. This can ignore any fun that gamists may be having in favour of the "fun" of authenticity. "Bigger Challenges are fun right?"

Situation: Narrator is concerned with a preconceived plot that the players are unaware of.
Pitfall: The narrator may overtly railroad without any guilt. "Trust me, you will have more fun fighting than running away."

So my suggestion is, always check that your idea of fun is compatible with your players. You may be surprised.

Any ideas of a clearer way to state this?
Any actual examples that you have had playing HeroQuest?
Can we arrive at a better definition of Maximum Game Fun than the one in the rules?

Mike Holmes

I've basically come to the same conclusion here: http://www.indie-rpgs.com/forum/index.php?topic=14144.0

As long as MGF is synonymous with YGMV, I find it innoccuous. As soon as people start thinking it means, "Ignore the rules at whim during play, if they're getting in your way" that's when I have problems with it.

Mike
Member of Indie Netgaming
-Get your indie game fix online.