News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

[Masks(?)] Just an early premise for a game.

Started by HOT, June 13, 2006, 09:18:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HOT

I got an idea for a game after reading a couple of posts about character ownership. This is just an idea that came into my mind and may be on a too early stadium to discuss, but I hope I can get some response on this. English is not my first language so I apologize for any spelling and grammatical errors-

The premise: Characters are not owned by any player, but are randomly drawn by the active players for each scene.

How does it work?
Well don't know all about it yet, but at the moment I imagine a PTA-like scene structure where scenes are requested around the table, stating location and active players, then the active players are drawing their characters for that scene from a pool.

How are the characters?
I imagine for the moment that the characters only need to a couple of traits like Statement(that's the important one), Motivation and perhaps Competence.
Statement A "quote" for that character, that says something about it, like "Frankly my Dear, I don't give a damn."
Motivation What drives the character? Like "Vengeance" or "Romance"
Competence A field the character is espescially good at, like "Scheming" or "Science"

Donning the Mask
After each active player has drawn his or her character for the scene, the player takes a look at the character's Motivation and Competence (and trying to remember how the character has been played before), then reading the character's Statement out loud. After each player has read their Statements the scene starts.

The point of "Donning the Mask" is to enforce a ritual for each character that puts the player in the mood for that character and is easily recognizable for the group. If done wrong this can probably destroy the mood, but done right I think it could help the player's "immersion" into that role.

So is this a ludicrous idea or am I on to something?
Haakon
"Her breasts are wrinkly and saggy, but Menander finds them incredibly beautiful!"
- Age really doesn't matter in the romantic and hedonistic game of Bacchanal.