News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

[TSOY] Key Opposition and Alignment

Started by xjermx, June 24, 2006, 10:10:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

xjermx

I played a couple of sessions with a group of characters that were not all created at the same time - we had some players join us late in the story.  On one hand I noticed (as was pointed out in another thread) that there are some Key combinations that work really well.  For example: our warrior-woman has Key of Bloodlust, Key of Conscience, and Key of the Masochist.  So that, at least for combat related situations, she's golden- bound to XP almost no matter the way the battle goes.

On the other hand, I noticed that sometimes Keys can create some interesting opposition between characters.  For example the Key of Bloodlust for one character and the Key of Conscience for another.  Bloodlust calls for the first character to slaughter all in her path, while Conscience calls for the second character to defend the weak.

This makes for some great conflict, but as a GM, are there any special considerations I should make?  For example, I dont want to let a more forceful player constantly beat out a less forceful player with an opposing Key.

Any particular favories, either Aligned or Opposing Keys that anyone wants to share?

Eero Tuovinen

Quote from: xjermx on June 24, 2006, 10:10:47 PM
This makes for some great conflict, but as a GM, are there any special considerations I should make?  For example, I dont want to let a more forceful player constantly beat out a less forceful player with an opposing Key.

It's not really up to you as the GM to do anything about it. It's simply not the GM's job to ensure that everybody gets their fair share of... whatever it is the players are conflicting over. The best you can do is to ensure that the play environment is healthy and fun, and the players are respecting each other as human beings. But that has nothing to do with your job as the GM, you'd do it anyway, whatever your role in the game. The GM is neutral, and if a player constantly wins, good for him. Also note that if a player is "constantly beating" less forceful players, you clearly need to teach the players to use social conflicts. Even the socially dominating players will like the game more when getting their way is up to the rules and not their skill in manipulating others.
Blogging at Game Design is about Structure.
Publishing Zombie Cinema and Solar System at Arkenstone Publishing.

xjermx

During my last game of TSOY, our group included a character with the Key of Reknown, and a character with Key of the Impostor.

The group killed a guard captain, then grabbed his uniform.  Our impostor intended to replace him and issue orders to the guards.  He led the rest of the group over to the guards, and began issuing orders.  Just as the guard sergeant was inquiring about the other captain (the dead one), and the impostor was explaining that he was here to replace him, the character with Reknown declared that she had killed the guard captain, and that she was the new captain!   The guards responded..  poorly, but the impostor managed to convince them that she had some social difficulties, and that he was in fact the captain, here to order them around.  5 xp for both players.

Clinton R. Nixon

Quote from: xjermx on June 26, 2006, 10:23:31 AM
During my last game of TSOY, our group included a character with the Key of Reknown, and a character with Key of the Impostor.

The group killed a guard captain, then grabbed his uniform.  Our impostor intended to replace him and issue orders to the guards.  He led the rest of the group over to the guards, and began issuing orders.  Just as the guard sergeant was inquiring about the other captain (the dead one), and the impostor was explaining that he was here to replace him, the character with Reknown declared that she had killed the guard captain, and that she was the new captain!   The guards responded..  poorly, but the impostor managed to convince them that she had some social difficulties, and that he was in fact the captain, here to order them around.  5 xp for both players.

That's hilarious and awesome. Gold stickers for everyone involved!
Clinton R. Nixon
CRN Games