News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

New to HeroQuest ~ need advice

Started by Harshax, July 13, 2006, 10:26:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Harshax

I was very down on HeroWars when it was released.  It was, in my opinion, a convoluted implementation of an otherwise simple concept.  HeroQuest changed my opinion dramatically.  There are still elements about the game that annoy me, but I don't think this is a criticism about the game, just my own preference.

One of the game's great strengths is that it alleviates the need to codify background material as game mechanics.  If you have good sources, do some homework, and can present easily digestable background material, you can get up an running very rapidly.  I'm using HeroQuest to run a mythic china/wuxia campaign.  I decided early on that one of the hero's Keywords must be their Zodiac sign, and I completed the entire process of concept and implementation for this Keyword by simply using a dinner mat from a chinese restaurant that explains the nature of each sign.  (Well, I actually took the zodiac table from a computer game that also explained some negative aspects of each sign)  Maybe not the truest or most real interpretation of the Zodiac, but it works for me and this game, besides, this is not going to be a game of historical realism.

But it is so simple, and I'm amazed at how suitable all of my previously unused game material has become.  I have lots of game books, and I am surprised at how adaptable games like D&D 3E can be in a language-driven game like HeroQuest.  Feats suddenly become abilities, and you can use them without having to be concerned about feat-chains, or noodly bits of prerequisites and game balance.

Finally, HQ reminds me of why I got into RPGs in the first place ~ the allure of learning something new, drawing knowledge from real books and history, and expanding my knowledge.  Ah, the excuse to go to the library is alive again ~ something sorely lacking in most RPGs today.

Aside from distilling the bulky magic chapter into something that is a combination of animism and wizardry, I'm cruising along at a great pace.

Anyhoo. . . my questions.

1) About followers.  The game says you can't improve a followers keyword ability.  It's forever stuck at 17.  Is this right?  Sound?  The rules say that a follower is part of the hero, and can be used as if the hero possessed the ability directly.  What if the Relationship to [follower] is improved?  Are replacement followers also improved?  Seems like a follower's keyword should be directly tied to the Relationship, or be improveable.

2) About special equipment.  One of my players is going to run a Peasant Hero, who fights with a magic rice mortar (inspiring picture here: http://library.osu.edu/sites/rarebooks/japan/images/full/09/12.jpg).  We talked about the abilities of the mortar:

Magic Rice Mortar
~ Mash Things
~ Satisfy Hunger
~ Smash Hungry Ghost
~ Keep Working

Question is, how is this item treated as far as abilities and hero point cost?  Is it one ability?  Four seperate abilities?  An affinity?  Magic?  Should she have a relationship with it?  (I kind of like that last one, in a sense a hero must be attuned to magical items of this power)  I heard someone suggest that items could be sidekicks, but I don't think I want the mortar to have too much (or none at all) of a personality.

I had a third question, but I can't remember it right now, maybe a discussion of the above will jog my memory.

Thanks.

soviet

Hi Hershax,

Welcome to the forge! It sounds to me like you have a pretty good handle on HQ already, but I'll take a shot at answering your questions.

1) The rules for followers are a little... restrictive. I have a bunch of followers in my game and I just treat them like any other kind of keyword, allowing players to improve their followers abilities with hero points (or buy new ones) however they see fit. Don't worry about tying in the relationship ability to the keyword or anything like that, just let these kinds of connections be expressed in play through augments and situational bonuses.

2) Don't worry about the 'right' way to represent anything. The correct answer here is that they are all right answers, and you should just do whatever seems appropriate to that particular character and situation. One player might have his magic rice mortar as an ability, another as an affinity or a follower, and yet another as a whole damn keyword. It all depends on how much a part of that characters, um, character the rice mortar is. From the way you have written about this example I would suggest that an affinity with a free relationship ability thrown in is probably the best way to go, but you can always change it later if it doesn't seem to work how you want it to.

Have fun!

Mark

Mike Holmes

There's a long version to the explanation of the rule about raising follower keywords, but the main point boils down to this: You can't raise any keyword ever.

There simply are no mechanics in the game for doing so, not even your character's keywords. They can start higher, under the rules for Advanced Experience. But the only inkling even that they can increase is in the box labeled "Saga System," which is meant to be optional according to Issaries.

Basically the notion is that keywords serve only the purpose of ensuring that charcters have "everything" that should be in the keyword, and establishing the level at which those abilities start. They're not intended to be super-broad abilities.

That said, I tend use the Saga System or something like it myself. So I would suggest that. But that system intentionally, and I think quite sagely, does not include any rules for spending points to increase keyword levels. Instead, think of the Saga System as retiring the old character, and creating a new character who just happens to look like an older, more experienced version of the original character. The point is that you're simply redesigning the character to fit his new starting situation. As such, that includes having keywords at higher levels.

And, if you're doing that, then no reason why you can't raise up Follower keywords.

Keep in mind, however, that Sidekicks can have their ratings increased. So you can do precisely the same sort of development with them that you do with your hero - there is mechanically no difference (nor, do I believe, should there be). Note also that Retainers you're not supposed to advance at all. I think this makes sense, too, you've not paid enough HP to say that you think that they're important enough. Keeping development down to one hero, and one sidekick is quite sensible in narrowing focus of play. IMO.

I'm not quite as sanguine as Mark about using "any" method to represent something like this. But I do think that, for example, making something like this a sidekick to accomplish what you're doing makes sense. Of course then he can have no other.

When all else fails, there's no reason you can't simply take several abilities linked to one item. You could simply take "Magic Rice Mortar" and each of the underlying abilities as individual abilities.

Personally, however, I think that, if it fits wizardry at all (seems to me it does), that your Magic Rice Mortar is simply a grimoire. With four spells. Heck, put symbols on it, and it's not even a stretch at all.

Mike
Member of Indie Netgaming
-Get your indie game fix online.

Harshax

Quote from: soviet on July 13, 2006, 04:55:56 PM
1) The rules for followers are a little... restrictive. I have a bunch of followers in my game and I just treat them like any other kind of keyword, allowing players to improve their followers abilities with hero points (or buy new ones) however they see fit. Don't worry about tying in the relationship ability to the keyword or anything like that, just let these kinds of connections be expressed in play through augments and situational bonuses.

They are a little restrictive, I agree.  But I think I'm going to refrain from allowing non-sidekicks to to improve.  I have two reasons for this, 1) they're mooks, masses of supporting characters who are often killed in droves, and rarely deserve a name.  2)  The relationship with [follower] does not restrict you from having 1, 10, or even hundreds of followers of the same type.

Quote from: soviet on July 13, 2006, 04:55:56 PM
2) Don't worry about the 'right' way to represent anything.

I was just look for examples of how others have handled these things.  Thanks for the advice.

Quote from: Mike Holmes on July 13, 2006, 05:15:19 PM
There's a long version to the explanation of the rule about raising follower keywords, but the main point boils down to this: You can't raise any keyword ever.

There simply are no mechanics in the game for doing so, not even your character's keywords. They can start higher, under the rules for Advanced Experience. But the only inkling even that they can increase is in the box labeled "Saga System," which is meant to be optional according to Issaries.

I'll take a look at that.  Thanks for point it out.

I'm not quite as sanguine as Mark about using "any" method to represent something like this. But I do think that, for example, making something like this a sidekick to accomplish what you're doing makes sense. Of course then he can have no other.

Whoah.  Heroes can only have one side kick?

Personally, however, I think that, if it fits wizardry at all (seems to me it does), that your Magic Rice Mortar is simply a grimoire. With four spells. Heck, put symbols on it, and it's not even a stretch at all.

That a decent idea, but a little expensive.  I think I'll use the Purchase/Improve costs associated with Sidekicks.  Those numbers feel right.  I also think Relationship to [Item] will be required.  It just feels right ~ that magical artifacts have at least a nugget of ego.  In the example of the magic rice mortar, I meant to add that it had a Relationship.  I can imagine a situation where the player's magic rice mortar might cease to work, or get a negative augment because of the influence of some other spirit.

Thanks all.

Mike Holmes

Followers come in two varieties, Retainers and Sidekicks. I think Retainers is what you mean by "non-sidekicks" here. Anyhow, you can have unlimited Retainers (I play a character right now with four individual retainers), but only one side-kick. This is to ensure that the hero is not just the core of some group or something. Of course, if you like that idea, then allow change that rule. But, generally, I think it's a good idea.

Yep, relationships to objects are appropriate for anything complex. Not just magic items with the D&D "ego" either. Take for example a non-magic ship. How do people refer to the ship? "She's running a bit slow tonight, Captain." Think about your relationship with your computer (I know I have one with mine). Sure it's imagined, but what difference does that make. You're more or less effective with your computer based on how you feel about it. So, just because it doesn't respond, doesn't mean that taking a relationship with it isn't appropriate.

This can be indicated by the form of the relationship. No, don't take "Respected by Magic Mortar," unless it really does have sentience (in which case consider animism). Take, "Respects Magic Mortar" instead, indicating how the character feels about the thing. Yeah, you could see this as just a personality trait then, but then you wouldn't be allowed to alter the relationship per the rules for doing so. And you're going to want to change that "Respects Magic Mortar" to "Gawdam Magic Mortar" the first time it misfires. :-)

Mike
Member of Indie Netgaming
-Get your indie game fix online.

Harshax

So it has taken me a long time to read the magic chapter and understand the difference between feats, affinities, spirits, essences.  Well, actually, I didn't even finish the chapter, because it dawned on me that the whole chapter is (rules-wise) unnecessary.  (Your Mileage May Vary)

There are two quirks about magic that sound pervy right off the bat.  (Hope I'm using that term correctly)
1) Magic abilities used against mundane resistances treat the resistance as 14, regardless of what the actual mundane resistance is.
2)  Common magic.  An ability that can only be used for augmentation  (in most circumstances).  It costs twice as much than a mundane ability to improve, but can never be used as a active ability.

Well depending on your world view, the number of of resistances out there that are treated as mundane can vary dramatically.  The animist view informs them that the world is literally teeming with spirits.  Wizards on the otherhand see the world as largely impersonal.  I guess spells costs more HP to improve over charms, but I think HQ is being unnecessarily complex here.

It also dawned on me that the range of "mundane" abilities can range from novice (13) to god-like scores of 4 or more masteries.  If it is possible for a "mundane" ability to reach "supernatural" levels of mastery, then what is magic?

Does magic let you break the rules of the mundane or is magic just abilities that can only interact with the supernatural?  I think it all depends on how seperate the mundane world is from the supernatural world.  In a wuxia setting (and, Glorantha as I had always envisioned it, and been suggested to envision it), what is mundane and what is supernatural is incredibly difficult to seperate.  In Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon people display amazing abilities of running over water, fighting among branches, and balancing on fingers.  Some of these skills arise from intense training, discipline, or magical knowledge.  All of these skills (in the context of the HQ mechanic) are just really high ability scores.

Common magic charms, or "augment-only abilities" can easily be subsumed in the explanation for why a hero has a very high ability rating.  Again, it's based on character concept.  Is my hero a Wu Jen, well versed in Feng Shui, a superstitous Sage who appeases invisible spirits at every course of action, or a peasant who by virtue of carrying sacks of rice for years has developed a back impervious to blunt attacks?

If this is a true assessment of most "magic", which for me it is, then "true magic" (from a rules & cost perspective) should be nothing more than an enabler which allows a hero to do something thay you've decided can't be done with mundane abilities (even if they are very well skilled).  If disembodied spirits can't be seen on the mortal plane then magic like "Spirit Face" or "Wizard Sight" breaks the rule that mortals are blind to spirits.

So for every type of ability that appears on the character sheet, there could be a magic equivalent.  We have skills, and magic skills.  Relationships, and magic relationships.  Followers, sidekicks, and magic followers, and magic sidekicks.  The presence of these aditional magic abilities depends on the nature and inter-relation of the mundane and the supernatural.

I doubt I'm the only person that thinks this.  More likely, someone else thinks this and can present the idea more clearly than I.  I kept at the magic chapter for a long time, trying to make sense of it for my game, not realizing that it is mostly a Glorantha chapter, and not a game mechanics chapter.  With all its terms, varying point costs, and special rules, I finally realized that I couldn't be bothered to learned them when the core mechanic probably works better.

Latreya Sena

Hey ho Harshax,

Quotethe magic chapter...it dawned on me that the whole chapter is (rules-wise) unnecessary

Herm, maybe. I think it's useful to know a few variations in the rules that are introduced in the magic chapter; only one feat in an affinity may be used at any one time (this is useful because many newcomers assume that everything can be mashed together in HQ) for example.

QuoteDoes magic let you break the rules of the mundane or is magic just abilities that can only interact with the supernatural?

Sure it does but you don't get the magic resistance of 14 if you are augmenting a mundane ability with magic, you still get the mundane resistance. But I see you are really pondering this point:

QuoteIt also dawned on me that the range of "mundane" abilities can range from novice (13) to god-like scores of 4 or more masteries.  If it is possible for a "mundane" ability to reach "supernatural" levels of mastery, then what is magic

It's a good point, and something that I have pondered. What is magic? In rules terms it's something that only faces a resistance of 14 as opposed to a mundane ability which potentially faces a resistance much higher. But otherwise what's the solution to someone having a mundane ability of jump, run fast, convince buyer etc. at a mystical 5 masteries or more? I don't know: cap mundane abilities at something like 20w3?

I'm interested in what others have to say about this.

Joel P. Shempert

I've had the same impression poring over the magic section (just finished recently)--I'm both bewildered by the many variations on "how stuff works" when magic is involved, and wondering if it's really worth mastering this whole new set of rules, when the result doesn't seem to be anything cool like making magic really interesting and cool when compared to mundane abilities, or propelling the story on more dramatically when magic is involved, or anything like that. On the contrary, the result seems to be to make magic an extra hassle to use, and often less useful than regular traits. I'm not necessarily against SOME special rule or rules to govern magic, if they succeed in making magic special in a way that works for the story or the world. I'm just not so sure I like these ones.

Latreya,

Quote from: Latreya Sena on July 15, 2006, 06:21:01 AM
Herm, maybe. I think it's useful to know a few variations in the rules that are introduced in the magic chapter; only one feat in an affinity may be used at any one time (this is useful because many newcomers assume that everything can be mashed together in HQ) for example.

I think you're missing the point, which is not "it is unnecessary to learn the rules, though said rules are still in effect." Rather, Harshax seems to be saying "It's unnecessary to use these rules at all." We are talking about just "mashing everything together" instead, or possibly using different special rules to govern Magic.

Peace,
-Joel
Story by the Throat! Relentlessly pursuing story in roleplaying, art and life.

Bankuei

Hi,

Pretty much the differences in magic are designed to support the setting of Glorantha. 

Common magic, which only gives augments, is basically the kind of folklore habits and prayers of the day to day...  For example, when someone sneezes, people will say, "Bless you", which in HQ terms would give a +1 or something to your contest against illness.  This kind of stuff is ingrained into society, and people do it for bits of luck and tradition, but no flashy effects.

The specialized magic is the kind that people expect to see miracles and supernatural effects from.  This ranges from the classic exorcism to summoning spirits to calling giant eagles, etc.  This is also the reason that non-magical stuff gets the 14 resistance... "Samson has 4W10 Strength, but Delilah's Hair Cutting Ritual is 2W5, and against a 14, he can't resist her..."

If you read some of the older setting material, you can see why these two types of magic are both supported, yet kept seperate.  That aside, use it or not, depending on how much you want to follow published Glorantha canon or make your own.

Chris

Harshax

I was better able to understand how much magic costs, and how it was used, once I clearly defined what magic is.

I started by differentiating mundane abilities, which top our at around 1w3.  Having abilities scores above this implies supernatural aid, skill, charms, or magic.  In otherwords, common magic, being what it is, gets implied in the Ability rating.

Next I determined the nature of the universe, that there are two worlds, very closely intertwined.  The mundane world.  The spirit world.

Magic lets you break a rule of the mundane world (Fly, Breathe Fire) or it allows you to effect the spirit world.   Magic abilities, followers, and sidekicks cost twice the number of hero points to cement and improve.

Here's a little write up of the nature of spirit world entities:
The Spirit World is invisible yet ever present and tangible.  Every child is raised learning how to honor ancestors, appropriate local spirits, pray for protection against angry ghosts, and mistrust oni.  Because the Spirit World and Mortal World are so closely intertwined, concepts such as animism, theism, and wizardry quickly lose distinction.

The world is full of ghosts, spirits, and oni ~ ancestors, hungry ghosts, the spirit of the river, great dragons at the ends of the world, and malevolent demons.

Ghosts are the disembodied spirit of the once living.  Oft times, a ghost lingers because of the nature of their death, failure on the part of relatives to honor their ancestors, or because of an intense need or emotion.  Ghosts inhabit the Mortal World.  Ghosts do not have free will, their thoughts and desires tightly revolve around the circumstances that prevents them from entering the Spirit World.  The ghost of a drowned man would be obsessed with the pain and suffering of their demise, and lamentation that they have not been properly buried.

Spirits can arise and inhabit nearly any object, animal, plant, or geographic feature.  They are generally tied to a place of exquisite beauty or perfect Feng-Shui.  While a spirit possesses free will, their mind and actions are almost always narrowly focused.  A tree spirit thinks like a tree and has needs like a tree.  Spirits live in the Spirit World, but can manifest on the Mortal World and have some interaction with it.

Oni ~ Oni are like a spirits, in that they are denizens of the Spirit World, but they are also individualistic, possess free will, and are not tied to a specific place.  Oni inhabit the Spirit World, but must manifest completely on the Mortal World to interact with it.  Oni may be benevolent or capricious, altruistic or selfish.  Oni are often summoned or bound to the Mortal World by Wu Jen seeking their services ~ a practice that is generally despised by the oni.

And here are my two heroes.  I need some names still . . .  I use the convention of {} to help define a pompous ability in more mundane terms.

First the peasant hero:
Human
Zodiac: Horse 17 (Age 30)
Caste: Peasant 17
Concept: Village Champion 17

Strong Willed 17
Obtuse 17

Knowledgeable of Local Customs & Folklore 19
Drover 17

Maul Combat 17
Bull's Gore & Toss 17
Strong like bull 7W
Throw Big Rocks 17
Surefooted 2W

Relationship with Village Headman 17
Relationship with Magic Maul 13

Magic Rice Maul 17
  Smash Things  2W
  Smash Hungry Ghost 16
  Sustain Me 16

Now the Wu Jen:
Zodiac: Snake (Age 53)
Caste: Hengeyokai (toad)
Concept: Wu-Jen

Foppish 17
Grabby 17

Mistrusted 17
Sense Nearby Spirits 17

Sheltering Bamboo {defensive move w/staff} 16
Relationship with Master 13
Feng Shui 1W  {since all magic requires an understanding of Feng Shui, this ability is mandatory to becoming a student.  It can also be used as an augment for magic ability being used actively}

Relationship with Oni Servants 13

Magic Abilities
Oni Manservant {Magical Follower} 17

Leap of the Pheonix Toad {giganitc jump} 17
Fascinating Fire Flowers {fireworks entrance} 1W
Dryad's Aria {song shatters tree for shrapnel attack} 17

Latreya Sena

QuoteI think you're missing the point, which is not "it is unnecessary to learn the rules, though said rules are still in effect." Rather, Harshax seems to be saying "It's unnecessary to use these rules at all." We are talking about just "mashing everything together" instead, or possibly using different special rules to govern Magic.

I think this is exactly my point. You see when you do do this ("We are talking about just "mashing everything together" instead") you lose a lot of the power of the HQ system. It's more interesting to discern the subtleties between "Sow Oats" and "Tireless Lover" for example, or "Leap Over Tree" and "Leap Over Obstacle". This means instead of having an ability called "Jump" for every situation you can have more variety that reflects specific myth and magic.

Sure, go ahead and make your own magic system, all I'm saying is that I see value in the rules tweaks that are there for Glorantha. For example the three ways of Dispelling Magic, surely this would be appropriate for any magic using the HQ system no matter what the setting. Or the fact that Secrets often dramatically change the game rules, like giving a ¼ bonus for augments etc...

Wether you use them or not it's interesting to see the way the designers have changed the core rules to suit their magic.

Harshax are you saying that you capped mundane abilities (without magic augments) at 1w3 in your game?

Harshax

Quote from: Latreya Sena on July 15, 2006, 07:43:03 PM
QuoteI think you're missing the point, which is not "it is unnecessary to learn the rules, though said rules are still in effect." Rather, Harshax seems to be saying "It's unnecessary to use these rules at all." We are talking about just "mashing everything together" instead, or possibly using different special rules to govern Magic.

I think this is exactly my point. You see when you do do this ("We are talking about just "mashing everything together" instead") you lose a lot of the power of the HQ system. It's more interesting to discern the subtleties between "Sow Oats" and "Tireless Lover" for example, or "Leap Over Tree" and "Leap Over Obstacle". This means instead of having an ability called "Jump" for every situation you can have more variety that reflects specific myth and magic.

I think the power of the HQ system is retained when mechanics are seamless and fluid.  I didn't mean to imply that the magic chapter was devoid of useful mechanics.  There are some very relevent examples for how to handle affinities for example ~ ability that you either have or don't have, but do not themselves have a target number.  I played glorantha for years, even got something published in one of the Books of Drastic Resolutions, but I feel that the magic chapter in HQ is more "mashed together" than the magic chapter from say, RuneQuest 3.  I can't help but feel that the three magic systems are varying dialects of monotheism ~ but that's more a criticism on an evolving game world, not of game mechanics.  In RQ3, the magic systems were very similar, but managed to retain the distinct feel of different reality tunnels.

For my purposes, HQ's magic chapter can be easily dissected.  On one hand are rules for handling supernatural abilities.  There is but one rule.  Magic used for mundane activities test against a mundane resistance of 14, regardless the actual resistance.  The cost of such supernatural abilities is relevent to the complexity of mundane and supernatural interactions, and the designer's goal of presenting balanced material.

On the otherhand, you have Glorantha-specific world views and magic systems.  While I'm sure Issaries' future generic HQ RPG will more readily distill these concepts, I can't help but think that the magic chapter could have been more readily presented if they had taken the same tack with magic that they did with the Core Mechanic.  (Seperate game mechanics, and the application of those mechanics for the world presented.)

Sure, go ahead and make your own magic system, all I'm saying is that I see value in the rules tweaks that are there for Glorantha. For example the three ways of Dispelling Magic, surely this would be appropriate for any magic using the HQ system no matter what the setting. Or the fact that Secrets often dramatically change the game rules, like giving a ¼ bonus for augments etc...

For me, HQ does not have the same grasp of magic that RQ3 did.  I'd even go so far to say that the HQ magic system does feel like it has an equal grasp of the core HQ game mechanics.  It's far too complicated, and you can get the same distinction and world feel, if you apply the same reasonable approach as taken for defining mundane abilities.  ie ~ understanding common magics and their relation with scaling mundane abilities.  Finally, I'd say it is arguable whether the magic systems are applicable "no matter the setting," otherwise, I just wouldn't waste my time.

Harshax are you saying that you capped mundane abilities (without magic augments) at 1w3 in your game?

Not really.  I'm stating that mundane abilities greater than 1w3 represent even more powerful supplementation from common magics, or in the case of other magic keywords, the reality tunnel of the individual character (theism, animism, or wizardry to name a few).  For example, if the narrarator doesn't use edges & handicaps, then she is encouraged to assign an improvisational penalty for someone using Sword & Shield when they don't really have the equipment handly.  I'm extending this idea by suggesting that you could assign an improvisational penalty (that increases as a ability score increases beyond 1w3), if the hero is prevented access to charms or talismans.  In other words, if common magic is common, if everyone has access to common magic, then we don't need seperate ability scores and keyword for it ~ it's inherent in the mundane ability.

Harshax

I didn't read far enough into the chapter to learn about secrets, but their inclusion into HQ reinforces my early statements.  The very last thing I want from a game system is "Exception Based Mechanics", or if necessary, very, very few exceptions.  You've only mentioned this one exception, so I won't assume it is systemic, but secrets + "augment only" common magics are two things I can do without.

I burned out in record time over d20 because they presented a streamlined rule system and then implemented it by offering a highly detailed character/monster generation system that provides exceptions to those rules.  Feats that allow you an extra thing here, an ability that curbs a penalty there, spells that ignore that rule, or make the other rule doubly penalizing.  It's a gruelling type of game to play.  After about 9th level, I realize that computers are far better at the rules than I'll ever be.

Your mileage may vary.  And thank you for helping me conclude my rules learning, so I could get back to gaming.  I think this is really going to be a great game.

Joel P. Shempert

You see when you do do this ("We are talking about just "mashing everything together" instead") you lose a lot of the power of the HQ system.

That's a fine point to make. Your original statement, responding to "The magic chapter is unnecessary," of "no, because it's good to know some rules in there," seems to miss the point entirely that Harshax is saying he doesnt want to use those rules. Like if someone just wants to play draw poker, and declines to read the rules for Texas Hold'em, and you tell him, "But then you won't know how to play Texas Hold 'Em." By all means, defend the rules he wants to discard, but your first statement was really muddled.

It's more interesting to discern the subtleties between "Sow Oats" and "Tireless Lover" for example, or "Leap Over Tree" and "Leap Over Obstacle". This means instead of having an ability called "Jump" for every situation you can have more variety that reflects specific myth and magic.

I'm confused about this statement because you seem here to be describing merely nuanced normal traits vs. broader, blander normal traits. I mean, mechanically. Yes, I know that there are magical abilities like "leap over tree," but the debate is not whether there should be magical abilities, but whether the magical abilities should be governed by different rules.

I, personally, am undecided on how this should be handled, but I am following the discussion because I DO think the HQ magic rules as they stand are unwieldy and kludgy. Chris' explanation of why the rules are that way is enlightening, but I still don't feel like they're very fun-promoting within the Heroquest system.

Peace,
-Joel
Story by the Throat! Relentlessly pursuing story in roleplaying, art and life.

sebastianz

Quote from: Mike Holmes on July 14, 2006, 02:56:55 PM
Followers come in two varieties, Retainers and Sidekicks. I think Retainers is what you mean by "non-sidekicks" here. Anyhow, you can have unlimited Retainers (I play a character right now with four individual retainers), but only one side-kick. This is to ensure that the hero is not just the core of some group or something. Of course, if you like that idea, then allow change that rule. But, generally, I think it's a good idea.

I am sorry to disagree. You can only specify one sidekick during char creation. Check out pages 20 and 24 of the rulebook. Otherwise, I did not find a restriction in the rulebook. Compare to this page 85. "You must have a separate relationship with each sidekick". This sounds like you can have more than just one sidekick.