News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Demon Files

Started by Randulf, July 14, 2006, 05:31:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Randulf

This is not for my game, but Ron's comments about an object demon in the form of a computer made me wonder about demons manifesting as data (a particularly nasty virus, for example) for a cyberpunk or modern setting.  Would it be inconspicuous, or would it be a parasite with the computer as the host?  How might this be handled?

Apologies (as ever) if this has already been discussed to death and my search missed it.

jrs

You may want to take a look at the Inside mini-supplement.  It's available in Daedalus, Winter 2004.

Julie

Randulf

Quote from: jrs on July 14, 2006, 06:13:03 PM
You may want to take a look at the Inside mini-supplement.  It's available in Daedalus, Winter 2004.

Julie
Thanks for the tip - looks interesting.

greyorm

You may also want to take a look at Electric Ghosts. Available on the Sorcerer site in the mini-supplement section. It doesn't deal with computers or programs as demons specfically, but is very portable to the idea.

As far as how it might be handled: well, you've just given two different ways in which it might be functionally handled. It all depends on what demons are "about" or "behave like" in your game of Sorcerer. However, I can also see a very resaonable argument regarding a computer (or any non-living object) being an unacceptable "host" for a parasite demon, but I'll let Ron speak up if he feels it truly violates the spirit of the rules in terms of what a host can be or must be like.

(Also, you don't need to apologize. No one is going to give you noogies for asking a question: this is not the internet; don't worry, you will not be hazed.)
Rev. Ravenscrye Grey Daegmorgan
Wild Hunt Studio