News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Playtest vs Final Rules

Started by Garvey, July 23, 2006, 02:33:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Garvey

I heard about Mortal Coil on the Have Games Will Travel podcast, which inspired me to look up the game on the net.  It looked interesting, but the lack of an abundance of Actual Play posts, made me find the playtest rules in order to get a better sense of the game.  I have to say that Mortal Coil appears to be exactly the game I've been looking for, and I've been really excited about the prospect of running it.  I placed an order for the book from IPR, but am still waiting for delivery.

A couple members of my regular gaming group just told me they probably can't make it to our session tomorrow, so I decided this might be the perfect chance to try Mortal Coil.  Unfortunately the game hasn't arrived yet, so I'll have to go by the playtest rules.

This was all a long-winded way of introducing my actual question:  Are there any massive, make-or-break differences between the playtest rules and the final rule set?  I know that a bunch of things are renamed, but did playtesting reveal anything fundamentally broken that got fixed in the final rules?

Hopefully this is an ok question to ask; I don't want to hurt the sales of the game.
Matt

Brennan Taylor

Garvey,

I don't think this can hurt sales of the game, don't worry. :)

The main difference between the playtest rules and the main rules is in setting creation. Add two steps to the end while building the theme document: Situation (what is challenging the characters: what issues do they face), and Villains (create a couple of antagonists before you build characters). These steps ensure that you will have some really relevant passions for the characters. They should tie their passions into the situation in some way, and have some villains as hooks for passions as well.

There are a couple of other minor changes, but this is the main one that could hurt your game through omission.

Garvey

That does look like a very useful and important change!  Thanks Brennan.

PS:  My copy of MC did arrive today (yay!), but not with enough time to read it before gaming.
Matt