News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Dueling

Started by Lance D. Allen, May 03, 2002, 05:07:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rattlehead

D'oh! Again, I was sleepy... I don't know what the heck I was talking about as far as attacking at the same time. What I should have said was:

The counter not only takes initiative but gives you dice for your next attack. Or something to that effect, anyway.
Hey, if you can't make an ass of yourself in public, where can you? ;-)

Brandon
Grooby!

Shadow

As one just learning the systems of this game, I just wanted to say that this Q&A session with the example duel is most enlightnening and useful.  Also, on the subject of Rapier parrying Shortsword, I would probably count a Roman-model Shortsword as of sufficient mass (at the point of contact) to force the Rapier to use the DTN of 8 vs. a slash.  I guess this one's a judgement call, but I am thinking of the broad blade a Roman gladius/Shortsword has.  Anyway, thanks for starting this highly informative post!

Lance D. Allen

The purpose for keeping all of our questions in this one post is to, hopefully, create a thread where various information can be found within the one thread. I'm glad, for one person at least, that it succeeded in this. I was considering starting another thread, as this one seems to be dying... but we'll see if we get an answer to our latest questions.
~Lance Allen
Wolves Den Publishing
Eternally Incipient Publisher of Mage Blade, ReCoil and Rats in the Walls

Rattlehead

I think I inadvertently deflected the path of this thread away from the latest question Lance asked (on behalf of both himself and me). So, I've quoted it below (with some snippage):

Quote from: WolfenOne question this time: Counters and ties. When an attacker and defender tie, no damage is done, and the attacker keeps initiative.. But what happens when the defender was countering? The effectiveness of the counter depends on initiative the next round. We did a compromise (though it didn't feel right to me) wherein the attacker kept initiative, but the defender got his bonus dice. This doesn't really feel right to me, but it seemed the fairest way to do it, with no guidance.

So how do we handle this one?

Brandon
Grooby!

Jake Norwood

QuoteOne question this time: Counters and ties. When an attacker and defender tie, no damage is done, and the attacker keeps initiative.. But what happens when the defender was countering? The effectiveness of the counter depends on initiative the next round. We did a compromise (though it didn't feel right to me) wherein the attacker kept initiative, but the defender got his bonus dice. This doesn't really feel right to me, but it seemed the fairest way to do it, with no guidance.

I didn't answer because it was covered by someone else. A counter is still just a "defense," so if you tie, init. goes to the attacker, but you don't get hit. The counter doesn't fly.

Jake
"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing." -R.E. Howard The Tower of the Elephant

Rattlehead

Ok, sorry Jake.. I musta missed it... thanks!

Brandon
Grooby!