News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Two Questions from Tokyo

Started by Steven Stewart, July 31, 2006, 03:25:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steven Stewart

Hiya,

First I would like to say thanks for making such a game. News travels slow to this end of the world, and eventhough I don't physically have the book in my hands yet (see question #1), seeing your website, and hearing Paul Tevis' group play has caused me to get excited about RPG's again. I had thought that RPG's were dead, and I would be stuck playing a very complicated minatures game that masqueraded as RPG, or be stuck with my nice carboard ships of pirates (which are fun, but not RPG either).

After hearing about the game, I went straight out and purchased it through the links on your website. Which leads me to my two questions:

(1) I got an email stating that the order had been processed, but no information about whether it was in stock, or when it would ship, or an estimated arrival date to arrive in Tokyo. Is is sent by air or by sea? Any ideas on estimated shipping times to Japan?

(2) Anticipating getting the book, I am now very fearful that I will never get to actually play it. My wife is not a gamer, and won't touch them. My game group only gets together about once a month with long commutes, and I don't think I could squeeze this into their schedule in the next year. Or even get them to try it. But I really do want to play. Is there anyone in the Tokyo area that would be interested in playing, I can host games I actually have a large enough flat in Tokyo to have the required four people in a comfortable setting. Or alternatively....

(3) Has anyone wanted to try the game out over the internet using IP phone system like Ventrillo, Skype or similar? I think this one of the few RPG's that could actually work that way since it is focused on the words and narrative so much?

Many thanks in advance,

Cheers,

Tokyo Steve
"Reach out your hand if your cup be empty, if your cup is full may it be again"

http://www.freewebs.com/blamdesign/index.htm

Ben Lehman

Hello and welcome!  Thanks a lot for your interest in the game.

#1 I can't answer, except to give my sympathy (I live in Shanghai, so I too know the long uncertainty of mail-order).  I've forwarded your question to Brennan at Indie Press Revolution, and he should be able to give you some answer.  Please keep me informed.

#2 I know that Mike Montesa (who should have an account on the Forge, and is also contactable through FindPlay) has a group that plays games in Tokyo -- he may very well be interested in Polaris or be able to hook you up with people who are interested.  Alternatively, how's your Japanese?  You could always ask locals to give it a shot with you.

#3 I know several people who play VOIP based games (in fact, I've done some of it myself).  Hopefully some of them will chime in shortly.

yrs--
--Ben

Steven Stewart

Thanks, that sounds great, I will look forward to folks who are interested in a VOIP type of game. And I will look into trying to scout out the tokyo scene a bit more, I've been here for 2 years, and gamers are hard to come by.

There is a huge and thriving Japanese culture for TRPG (Table Top RPG) used to differieante between the computer RPG. However, like most things Japanese, they are incrediably difficult to "break" into, and very insuluar and wary of outsiders. I have heard tales about the clubs being very "competitve" against each other, so alas even if I was fluent (which I can say beer and coffee in Japanese thats about it), I don't think I could "break" into one of their clubs anyway. But you have given me hope, perhaps a VOIP is what I need. I know it would fit best with my hectic schedule, but for sure I will trying out the link you gave me.

Thanks so much.

p.s. have you ever thought what it would be like if it were "samurai" at the north pole instead of knights ;)

Rorimack

Are you already on JIGG?

( http://groups.yahoo.com/group/jigg/ )

If not, sign on today - if you are in Tokyo it wouldn't be hard to find some players.

(On clubs: I have very positive experiences with Japanese RPGers, fitting in won't be a problem, especially if you bring such marvellous games as Polaris with you... ;))
Balazs

Ben Lehman

What a fantastic resource!  Steven, check that list out.

yrs--
--Ben

Steven Stewart

Will do when I can get past a firewall for looking at Yahoo groups.

Just an update, I have successfully negoiated with the owner of a vent server to lend me the space on the server for running some VOIP using Ventrillo. I use Ventrillo a lot for my WoW gaming, and folks come over crisp and clear. Plus with the push to talk button, you know exactly who is talking. It works for both macs and PCs and is free to download.

Dice rolling would be by trust, (its that kind of game anyway), and with the comments section you can easily set up who is the heart, new moon, etc.). I will create a dedicated email for this, and will also suggest that we do character creation together over Vent during one session, then everyone mailing their sheets to everyone else.

Given the nature of the game, I think a VOIP would be great for this kind of game over something like a D20 system.

It would also allow various members of FORGE who live in remote places (hint*hint*) to participate with others without having to wait for Cons. Really I do think this could work. Although given my location (Tokyo), I think with anyone in North America the game will have to be done on Friday or Sat Night in the US and daytime the following day for Japan (given the 14 hour time differance).

Please send me a PM if you are interested in a Ventrillo Polaris game (which I can start as soon as I get my book from IPR, hint*hint*).

Steven Stewart

p.s. since I can't edit

Would you object if I started a new Topic called Playing Polaris with Ventrillo Over Internet, since i am afraid that my topic "won't grab" people's notice and I can't edit. Or pehaps just change the main title of the thread to Playing Polaris with Ventrilo Over Internet.

Cheers,

Ben Lehman

Steven -- I've got some contacts for you, but give me a bit.

Steven Stewart

Right on. Thanks man. I am really groovin on some ideas. I can definetly see listening to some extended live 'dead while playing and getting into that early '70's romantic ideas of fantasy with this game. I know this has nothing to do with the topic at all, but I felt completly asshatty to say thanks man without anything. Just listening to '69 Filmore East Show of Morning Dew.

Cheers,

Steven Stewart

Hey Ben,

Just wanted to let you know that some of those links are turning out leads now. Through Mike on FindPlay and also through JIGGS. Not anything firm yet, but at least these are leads. Now if I can just get the mail to magically come faster, we might actually get a game in Japan on (not sure if it will be the first in Japan or not, probably not but it might be the first with an AP report). When (I am being very hopeful) that the book comes in, I think I shall be able to make a game happen in person which is better than VOIP I am sure (you can use a real candle for one ;)

Thanks for all the links and such. I have been listening to Paul Tevis' marathon of mpegs on his group, and look forward to being able to share our stories on the AP board when we do actually play.

Cheers and thanks,