News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

[Beast Hunters] Artist(s) Needed

Started by xenopulse, August 09, 2006, 11:56:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

xenopulse

I am in need of at least one artist to illustrate my upcoming game, Beast Hunters.  The game is about an ancient group of tribal warriors who hunt down magical creatures and use their prey's blood as ink for tattoos of power. 

The art needs to reflect the gritty realistic fantasy nature of the game, in the sense that I'm not looking for cartoonish or very modern styles.  I also do not want any "cheesecake" images, and I need them to be more realistic than the usual fantasy fare.  My tribal men are not hulking barbarians, and tribal women are not barbies.  The tribal warriors of both genders are tough without being on steroids (just take a look at the physique of actual African tribal warriors, for example), and while they might not wear much clothing (depending on the tribe in question and whether they're on a war path), the clothes they do wear are practical.  The Chel'qhuri tribes are in a Southern Mediterranean/North African region, so they need to be drawn accordingly (regarding skin tones, etc.).

Here are specifically the things I need:

1) Cover Art.  I'm open to suggestions for this, but it needs to be full color and represent the tone of the game.  Currently I'm envisioning an Iron Heroes style cover, with a hunter and a beast facing off in the center of the page, and I have one or two other ideas (e.g., a shot of the hunter's tattoo-covered back, and the beast visible beyond).  But suggestions are also welcome.

2) Interior Art.  In gray, images of the hunters, tribal scenes, a couple of ritual spears and axes, etc.  I would ideally like to have 10-20, half and quarter page sizes.

3) Beast Tattoos.  As the game revolves to a large part around hunting down magical beasts, there are going to be about 20-25 listed in the book.  I need tattoo art for as many of those as possible.  Instead of having a drawing of the actual creature, the beast listing will show the representative tattoo that the hunter can earn.  The style I'm envisioning is a cross between Haida art (see this example and this one) and modern tribal tattoos (the spider in the middle of this image).  It should be all-black line art, just like a regular tattoo design.  We can work creatively both ways--that is, I'll give you beasts for which to draw tattoos, and you can draw beasts of your own design that I'll integrate into the game.

At this point, I would like to get bids from artists for this work, including or excluding the tattoo pieces, as I might use different artists for the tattoos than the other parts.  Obviously, I'll need to see some of your previous work.  I know that many people are busy with GenCon right now, so I'll keep the window open for a little while.  I do want to publish the game in November, however, so the art needs to be done within the next 8-10 weeks.

Thank you for your interest, and feel free to share this with anyone you know who might be interested.  You can reach me at xenopulse at yahoo dot com.