News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Adventure Ideas

Started by Rattlehead, May 07, 2002, 05:53:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nick the Nevermet

Quote from: RattleheadNevermet:

I realized when I posted that message that I might be interpreted as trying to bring TROS to D&D. Don't worry, I don't consider your message a flame, I agree with you more or less. Of course, my definition of a dungeon crawl is slightly different. Primarily because I play D&D differently than most of the "current generation" of gamers. Examples:

ok, good to know I wasn't an obnoxious ass :)
So, from your POV, a dungeon crawl could be, say, stealthfully trying to escape a dungeon, with how they go about it being dependent as much on roleplaying as strategy?  Just making sure I understand

Quote from: Rattlehead
So, what I'm saying is: I don't want to take TROS to the D&D type of dungeon crawl (even if my own style of D&D is more "mature"). Rather, I want to envision what the definition of "dungeon crawl" would be in the realm of TROS.

aaah, gotcha.
Lessee. what would a dungeon crawl entail for TROS...
First off, we can get rid of "needs to be in a dungeon" :)
Hmm... I need to think about that a bit.
I know that there are four things I associate with a dungeon crawl which I can 'port' over.

1) exploration. (space needs to be unfamiliar)
2) A high and constant threat of violence (be it enemies, traps, or the potential existence of either)
3) A high perceived possibility of rewards. (gold, magic, fame, glory, babes)
4) constrained by time (its not a real dungeon crawl if its drawn out over a month of careful exploring and constantly going back to town for supplies)

The idea of a dungeon crawl (in both this generalized version and old AD&D modules) is that the PCs are worn down over time.  Wearing TROS PCs down is a dangerous thing, as there's less to wear down before they're just down (for the count).  However, I think something can still work here

Quote from: Rattlehead
PS: I know a lot of the people here hate D&D (particularly D20 D&D), but I still feel that it's my primary game. The rules don't matter so much as people think, they are only the vehicle that allows you to play. The true fun of any game is only equal to what you put into it as players.  :-)

First of all, I don't hate d20 or D&D.  I _DO_ hate hack 'n slash dungeon crawls, however, and thats what I was reacting to in your post.  I brought up D&D because, well, its the system to bring up when you talk about dungeon crawls (just like one brings up CoC when a discussion of sanity starts).  I think D&D works for a specific style of play, and while it can encourage roleplaying, most players don't know that.

And second, don't let Ron see the words "system doesn't matter" ;-)
I'm new here, but thats one thing I caught onto.

Rattlehead

Quote from: Nevermetok, good to know I wasn't an obnoxious ass :)
So, from your POV, a dungeon crawl could be, say, stealthfully trying to escape a dungeon, with how they go about it being dependent as much on roleplaying as strategy?  Just making sure I understand

That's more or less the idea. Tons of monsters and such aren't key in my campaigns, really.

Quote from: Nevermetaaah, gotcha.
Lessee. what would a dungeon crawl entail for TROS...
First off, we can get rid of "needs to be in a dungeon" :)

*snippage*

1) exploration. (space needs to be unfamiliar)
2) A high and constant threat of violence (be it enemies, traps, or the potential existence of either)
3) A high perceived possibility of rewards. (gold, magic, fame, glory, babes)
4) constrained by time (its not a real dungeon crawl if its drawn out over a month of careful exploring and constantly going back to town for supplies)
Keeping in mind that the "threat" of danger can be constant, but not the actual violence of it. As for time constraints, I usually make the dungeon location someplace remote, so going back to town isn't feasible.

Quote from: NevermetThe idea of a dungeon crawl (in both this generalized version and old AD&D modules) is that the PCs are worn down over time.  Wearing TROS PCs down is a dangerous thing, as there's less to wear down before they're just down (for the count).  However, I think something can still work here

Well, if the party takes supplies and are skilled in first aid, they can be worn down. You just have to make the wear as much mental as physical. You also have to be careful not to make things too dangerous...

Quote from: NevermetFirst of all, I don't hate d20 or D&D.  I _DO_ hate hack 'n slash dungeon crawls, however, and thats what I was reacting to in your post.  I brought up D&D because, well, its the system to bring up when you talk about dungeon crawls (just like one brings up CoC when a discussion of sanity starts).  I think D&D works for a specific style of play, and while it can encourage roleplaying, most players don't know that.

And second, don't let Ron see the words "system doesn't matter" ;-)
I'm new here, but thats one thing I caught onto.

When I say "system doesn't matter" I mean that the system has an effect on how easy or hard it is to take your gaming to the "next level", but, with work and a good group of people playing, any system can provide great gaming.  But I'm used to people disagreeing with me. Everyone has their opinions! :-D

Regards,
   Brandon
Grooby!