News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

[Roach] Quick question in mid-game

Started by Doyce, September 09, 2006, 06:36:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doyce

I'm putting this up a couple places, and this is one of them -- apologies.

Starting up a Roach game, and doing relationships: The game says you have a positive relationship with whoever's immediately on your left, and a negative one with whoever's immediately on your right.

It would SEEM that what this does is that you'll always start out really liking someone who really hates you, and vice versa.  (De is on my left. I have a positive relationship with her, and as I'm on her right, she has a negative relationship with me.)

Is that right? It seems really weird, and also contradicts the examples from the book, where the 'main' example character has a mutually positive relationship with the drunkard artist.

Help?  We're working on chargen right now.
--
Doyce Testerman ~ http://random.average-bear.com
Someone gets into trouble, then get get out of it again; people love that story -- they never get tired of it.

jrs

Quote from: Doyce on September 09, 2006, 06:36:36 PM
The game says you have a positive relationship with whoever's immediately on your left, and a negative one with whoever's immediately on your right. ... It would SEEM that what this does is that you'll always start out really liking someone who really hates you, and vice versa. 

Yep.  That's how I remember playing.  It works really well for defining initial conflicts.  Here's an earier topic that also discussed the issue: Relationships polarity.

Julie

Jason Morningstar

Sorry I missed this, but I'll confirm, that's how it is supposed to be and it works well at jump-starting conflicts.  That's all its for.  In my experience those initial love/hate things don't always last more than an event or two, but having them early in the game is very valuable.