News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Nexus Flamethrower Unit

Started by Aussigamer, September 14, 2006, 01:44:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aussigamer

Quote from: joepub on September 18, 2006, 08:06:30 PM
No! I sincerely apologize if I was giving you that impression.
In fact, I would really like to see Nexus become a kickass, rock solid game. The kind that makes me excited about playing a d20-ish game.
In order for people to help you MOST EFFECTIVELY, though, I was trying to give you some tools that've helped me AT THIS SITE.
So... in no way take my earlier post as saying, "Get out of here."
Take is as saying, "Here are some ways that you can make the most out of the Forge, as I see it."

After getting had bashed at other sites I am a bit gun shy, so sorry I ddi take it to mean something it wasn't.

It just seems hard to get the chat started. If I was doing something small I could see that it would be easier to get it started, or designing from scratch as well.

I think I have the system frame work up and the walls looking quite good. But yes there is things that need to be looked at and fixed still.

QuoteThis is really helpful. Awesome.
Wanna know the part that's the most helpful to me, as someone wanting to get in on the conversation?
"I have gone for a simple combat system, as I and my players like that, but a very detailed setting up system."

Cool. That's a very direct Design Goal. And it's worded really simply. (Some people have an issue with succinctness. You don't, which is awesome.)

I want to know more about how you've done this.
Either in this thread, or in a new one... can you explain how your game achieves this?

The combat is still a roll check to hit v the AC of the target. One addition is the %roll for location. I have removed the critical confrim check, as the 1st die does it all. Also allowing for failure results on this as well.

So I am not wanting to add to much "detail" into the D&D base action system.

I did add a improved initiative system, that allows for actions to adjust initiative. This has made it a bit more complex, but the tables are pretty easy and not to detailed once again.

QuoteSo... someone could use your system to create this item, right?
yes, or adjust something they found in another system for use in Nexus.
QuoteLike... I understand that you've created this one and it's a pre-generated item... But someone could theoretically re-create it using your system?
Yes and develop your own ideas into the game system as well. The base rules help with ascepts of the designing process
QuoteIs that an example of what you mean by "very detailed setting up system"?

You mod all sorts of things from the base data given for them, d20M started this but has not allowed the modification of the base materials.

CHANGING ARMOUR TO A TOUGHER TYPE
This is done for EACH body area that is upgraded. And the penalties only apply if they apply normally, thus a helmet changed from light to medium does not add to the final speed penalty.
The rounded values are used for the upgrading.
All armours start with the same penalty of 1 to whatever BP they are protecting.
All armour must be converted from light to medium and then to heavy.
Light to Medium:  [Hard +1 AC] [Soft +2DR] x1.5 Skill mod, Max Dex, Speed, to hit, Search and Awareness penalties. Weight x1.5. Law level: +1.
Medium to Heavy:  [Hard +2 AC] [Soft +4DR] x2 Skill mod and Max Dex penalties x1.5 Speed, to hit, Search and Awareness penalties. Weight x2. Law level: +2.
All the areas stack except AC and DR, as these are area specific. Thus a Heavy Kevlar upper leg would affect a PC overall speed, skills and max Dex but the AC and DR are used for attacks on that body point only.
Conversions from light to medium then to heavy means that all the penalties and modifiers are stacked.
Example:
Light leather AC 1, DR 1 when converted to medium would have AC 1, DR 3 as it is soft type armour. The penalties would be x1.5, the weight increases 2kg to 6kg, with a Law level of +1.
Converting the now medium to heavy means the AC remains 1, DR increases to 5. The penalties are times 3. The weight is 12kg, with a law level of +3.

Using the base material stats you can build it into heavier protective armour. I have a whole file for the making of armour, weapons, poisons, drugs, energy shields, vehicles (includes robots and everything else). I made a simple excel sheet to help out, but I am pretty bad at PC stuff so it's not the best.
For my gear look here under Nexus

RPG Projects

joepub

QuoteI have removed the critical confrim check, as the 1st die does it all. Also allowing for failure results on this as well.

Cool. The "No, it's not a critical, it's a critical threat" thing was the single biggest piss-off playing d&d for me.

QuoteSo I am not wanting to add to much "detail" into the D&D base action system.
by this, I interpret, "I don't want to flesh out the system and have it any more bogged down." Is that what you meant?

QuoteI did add a improved initiative system, that allows for actions to adjust initiative. This has made it a bit more complex, but the tables are pretty easy and not to detailed once again.

Actions affecting initiative = cool.
a bit more complex = okay, so long as you don't contradict your goal of a quick-and-easy combat system.
charts = UGH!

Aren't there ways to do an improved initiatve system without charts?

I'll post more later. I g2g.

joepub

QuoteOne addition is the %roll for location.

Does this conflict with your goal of "quick, easy combat"?
I ask because I've never seen Hit Locations mechanics that didn't bog the game down - in combat, but especially in EQUIPPING characters.

How does this work? Does it keep combat quick and easy?

Aussigamer

Quote from: joepub on September 19, 2006, 08:07:08 PM

Cool. The "No, it's not a critical, it's a critical threat" thing was the single biggest piss-off playing d&d for me.
This alos then allowed me to link skills checks as well. Might even look at saves as well for the same table.

Quoteby this, I interpret, "I don't want to flesh out the system and have it any more bogged down." Is that what you meant?

yes, trying to add some more detail but leaving the actual combat system pett much the same, as its quick and easy to play and run.

QuoteActions affecting initiative = cool.
a bit more complex = okay, so long as you don't contradict your goal of a quick-and-easy combat system.
charts = UGH!

Aren't there ways to do an improved initiatve system without charts?

As it is a number system then you need mods for it I suppose, if someone has a better way I am well open for it.

I rying not to complex it too much. The GM has to track some extra data, but again if the players sheet has the IM for the weapons already written down then it does not impact that much, and the weapon speed is prety easy. I think 6 mods all up including size and type.

Hopefully I hit the mid mark of too complex but more than D&D one roll and thats it for the combat.

RPG Projects

Aussigamer

Quote from: joepub on September 19, 2006, 09:17:03 PM

Does this conflict with your goal of "quick, easy combat"?
I ask because I've never seen Hit Locations mechanics that didn't bog the game down - in combat, but especially in EQUIPPING characters.

How does this work? Does it keep combat quick and easy?

As you roll the d20 to hit you also roll d100 for location. Its pretty simple "chart" sorry :), you have only 3 different AC's, one being torso and 0, and the others +2 and +4. Again setting up the player sheet means this is pretty easy to do, I have run this as a playtest and the speed of the combats is pretty much the same as normal D&D.

The hit locations allows for more affect, like blowing off a hand or leg. As the game has cybernetics (if the GM wants them in his setting), then this allows for the replaements to come into affect. I have not got critical locations within the body part. GM call if he thinks that the liver got messed up or an eye got shoot out.

The damage is checked against a set of numbers based on health mod of the creature to see how bad the hit was above the normal damage.

Once again not too much to look at.

So yes its a bit more complex but without it then you might as well play D&D.

RPG Projects

Aussigamer

INITIATIVE
Every round, each combatant gets to do something. The combatants' initiative, from highest to lowest, determines the order in which they act, from first to last.
Surprise Initiative
All have this as a base for the equations below.
All Initiative = DEX + feats + Weapon Speed (Primary) + Armour Skill Penalty + Attack type modifiers + d6.
Note: This is only used if both sides have at least one (1) combatant unsurprised.
Weapon Speed Primary: This is the weapon that is used by the creature as its primary attack, or the weapon at hand for the surprise round.
1st round
All combatants who have not rolled their knowledge (Tactics) do so now. But they are considered flat-footed until their combat go.
Flat-footed Initiative = DEX + feats + Weapon Speed (Primary) + Armour Skill Penalty + Attack type modifiers (+ d6).
Non-Flat-footed Initiative = DEX + feats + Weapon Speed (Primary) + Armour Skill Penalty + Attack type modifiers + Knowledge (Tactics) (+ d6).
Knowledge (Tactics): Creature rolls a skill check and for every 5 points above DC 0 the creature/ pilot/ driver is granted a +1 modifier to the initiative number. This is only every rolled once per combat and is rolled in the 1st round that the creature is not flat footed. Even if they are caused to be flat–footed after being not flat-footed they do not roll again.
(+ d6) This is only rolled if surprise round did not occur.
After each round
The number that the character had rolls over, thus if they had a 5 initiative number last round they start with a 5 again this round. The initiative number can be modified by the type of attack they used last round. Like "Aiming" or the primary weapon they are used last round (swapped a small knife for a large plasma rifle last round thus dropping their weapon speed) or rushing to attack or dropping a piece of armour.
Delay
If a combatant delays its action, they are deemed to be on the same initiative number as the combatant it went after in the last combat round minus 1.
Same number
If 2 or more combatants have the same initiative number, then the combatant with the highest BAB goes 1st. If still a tie then the combatant with the highest DEX goes 1st, and if still a tie the combatant which went 1st in the last round again goes 1st this round.
Surprise and being Flat-Footed
At the start of a battle, or during a battle if a character is unaware of a new combatant, before the character has had a chance to act (specifically, before the character's turn in the initiative order), the character is considered flat-footed verses those opponents only. A character can't use his or her Dexterity bonus to Defence from attacks from them or make attacks of opportunity against those opponents while flat-footed.
A tripped prone combatant is flat-footed to all, but a feinted character is only flat-footed to the character feinting.
Only during the 1st round, called the surprise round, the non-flat footed characters get only one action, and the flat footed none.
All non-flat footed character gets a +4 initiative modifier for the next round if any combatant is flat-footed, including allies.
Attacks against Flat-Footed
Attackers can choose which body point they want to target for all attacks until the opponent can react normally, if they are within normal melee range for their size, i.e. a medium character must be within 2m and a large 4m. This allows them to stick a gun next to the head of an opponent and say, "Dodge this!" to them.
ACTIONS THAT AFFECT INITIATIVE ORDER
A character can alter its initiative number by using some of the following types of attacks.
Rushed Attack
This must be selected at the START of the round.
All personal weapons can be used without proper aiming. Thus the combatant gains a –4 to hit for that combat round, but gains a +2 bonus to their initiative.
All Combatants must declare that they are "Rush Attacking" before the round begins, as it alters their initiative before the round starts. It is a free action to set this action.
If "Rushing" is selected then no other from of initiative altering action is allowed.
Aiming
This type of attack uses up a MEA. The +2 to hit only counts for the 1st attack made during their next combat go. Aiming takes more time to get a more precise attack and thus modifies their initiative by –4 for the next round. If the aiming occurs over another creature's combat go, then that aiming must be able to see their target for that entire time.
Steady
At the cost of a MEA, the character is able to get an understanding of what to do next. This action grants a +2 initiative modifier. This action can be taken twice in a round.
Changing Weapons
If a character changes from one weapon to another during the last round, then the primary weapon they used in the last rounds combat is used to change their overall initiative number.
WEAPON SPEED
The size of the weapon and the type sets the weapon speed (WS). This shows how quickly the combatant can bring the weapon to bear in the combat.
Weapon speed minimum is 0.
All weapons WS
Each size category the weapon is larger than the user                 -2
Each size category the weapon is smaller than the user +2 (Max +4)
Master worked +1 to +4 (depends on level of master working, MW for increase WS.)
(Magic weapons) (+1/ +1 to hit)
Melee Weapons
Piercing +2
Slashing +0
Bludgeoning -2

Example: A 2-handed huge long spear is considered to be 2 sizes larger than the user and it has reach, and has a WS of –3 (-4 for size and +1 for piercing), whilst a small pistol has a WS of +2.

RPG Projects

Darcy Burgess

a quick thought on hit locations -- steal a page from 1st edition Warhammer FRP.

roll to hit is now d100 (easy adjustment -- multiply everything by 5).

procedure:

-roll d100 for location.
-adjust to hit number based on location's AC
-now, just reverse the numbers rolled on the first roll (ie: a 26 becomes a 62) to determine your to-hit number.

cuts one die roll out of the process, and doesn't add to handling time if you set all of your charts & tables to work in increments of 5 instead of 1.
Black Cadillacs - Your soapbox about War.  Use it.

Aussigamer

That system does not seem to suit d20, and seems to me to be useless.

As the reverse of the location for the TH would either mean a division by 5 or changing the system to d100. Also if you get 11 means vastly different to 12, 11=11, 12=21. Pretty high jump for a digit change.

Also mean that you will get poor TH in some locations always but great TH is some others.

So thanks but I see that that would complicate the rolls more than I have now.

RPG Projects

Aussigamer

I like the d20 system, as everything then is the saem dice for most checks. Changing to d100 would involve heaps of rewriting and I am not up for that, but thanks.

RPG Projects

TroyLovesRPG

Complex calculations and charts don't seem to make a system faster, especially if you must calculate and cross-index every time you want to attack. An alternative to the critical (confirm threat) and hit location is to use the numbers that are before you (the attack roll and die roll). Several ways to add variety without bogging down the speed of play:
  if a die roll of 20 with bonuses would not normally hit the target AC then treat it as a normal successful hit
  if a die roll of 20 with bonuses would hit the target AC then treat it as a critical
  if the attack roll hits the defender's AC exactly then the defender receives a -1 on AC the rest of the round and the following round (reflects a shift in the armor)
  If the attack roll hits and the die roll is 10 or less then consult the advantage table:
    10-9: attacker gets a one time +1 to next attack against the same opponent
     8-7: attacker gets a one time +2 to next attack against that same opponent
     6-5: defender's AC is -1 for the rest of the combat with any opponent
     4-3: defender's AC is -2 for the rest of the combat with any opponent
       2: attacker gets another attack against the same opponent

The above situations would probably happen 5% of the time and don't require another die roll to confirm a threat or act as a lookup value.

Troy

Aussigamer

Quote from: TroyLovesRPG on September 24, 2006, 11:47:58 PM
Complex calculations and charts don't seem to make a system faster, especially if you must calculate and cross-index every time you want to attack.

I agree, thats why a 10 and 20 above and below are mostly used by me so far.

So if you get 20 above the critical AC, which 90% of the time is the same, then you get a critical hit, 20 below critical miss.

QuoteAn alternative to the critical (confirm threat) and hit location is to use the numbers that are before you (the attack roll and die roll).

yep doing that, I think.

QuoteSeveral ways to add variety without bogging down the speed of play:
  if a die roll of 20 with bonuses would not normally hit the target AC then treat it as a normal successful hit
  if a die roll of 20 with bonuses would hit the target AC then treat it as a critical

Adding a "bonus" for a 1 in 20 random chance defeats the idea of the better the hit the better the chance of the critical happening for me.
This is why I removed the nat 20 hit/ pass and nat 1 miss/ fail rule. I like the idea that if you are skilled enough even that bad shot still has at least a chance to hit or at least the better the skill the less chance of a critical miss.

Seems to reward the better fighter types over the bad ones more than a random 1in20

The weapons critical range is used for the upper critical chance, thus a rapier does a critical 18+ not 20+. And armours fortifications will add to the 20+, thus it becomes a fight between the two forces of attack and defence.

This minor mods are not going to really impact that much on the table. As the other three conditions stay -20, -10, +10.

Quoteif the attack roll hits the defender's AC exactly then the defender receives a -1 on AC the rest of the round and the following round (reflects a shift in the armor)
  If the attack roll hits and the die roll is 10 or less then consult the advantage table:
    10-9: attacker gets a one time +1 to next attack against the same opponent
     8-7: attacker gets a one time +2 to next attack against that same opponent
     6-5: defender's AC is -1 for the rest of the combat with any opponent
     4-3: defender's AC is -2 for the rest of the combat with any opponent
       2: attacker gets another attack against the same opponent
The above situations would probably happen 5% of the time and don't require another die roll to confirm a threat or act as a lookup value.

This seems to add more complexity than just a straight 10 or 20 table I am using.

Troy

Thanks Troy for the thoughts

RPG Projects

TroyLovesRPG

Hello Aussigamer,

You are welcome and thank you. This topic got me thinking about natural, nominal and critical hits. There are some options I'll try in the next game session. I like the fun, quick and easy stuff. I missed the info on the 10/20 above/below part. Sounds like its appropriate in the d20 modern and not D&D.

Good luck,

Troy

Aussigamer

Hi Troy,

I think that if you use the same table for all physical and maybe even targetted spells as well, then it allows the system to be used as a single unit. And you don't end up with several tables for this or that type, which is annoying.

It seemed to play test OK for the D&D style game I am running.

Rick

RPG Projects