News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Player's screen

Started by Rich Stokes, November 06, 2006, 09:33:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rich Stokes

Hi Brennan,

Just finished reading the book and really looking forward to giving this system a shakedown.

In one of the Sons Of Kryos podcasts you mentioned a "Player's Screen" as your next product.  Having read the rules, I can see why such a thing is desirable.

What's the deal with that?  Were you serious? Is there going to be a nice PDF Player's screen with the Mortal Coil logo on?

Also, am I reading passions correctly?

You can invoke a passion once per session per point of rating that passion has.
You gain a point of a passion by invoking that passion twice or more during a session.
How do you get a passion at a rating of 1 to increase?  Or can't you?
The poster previously known as RichKS

Brennan Taylor

Quote from: Rich Stokes on November 06, 2006, 09:33:26 AM
In one of the Sons Of Kryos podcasts you mentioned a "Player's Screen" as your next product.  Having read the rules, I can see why such a thing is desirable.

What's the deal with that?  Were you serious? Is there going to be a nice PDF Player's screen with the Mortal Coil logo on?

I was serious. I just haven't gotten to that yet. The player's screen will use some of the art from the book, and I will work that out sometime soon.

Quote from: Rich Stokes on November 06, 2006, 09:33:26 AM
Also, am I reading passions correctly?

You can invoke a passion once per session per point of rating that passion has.
You gain a point of a passion by invoking that passion twice or more during a session.
How do you get a passion at a rating of 1 to increase?  Or can't you?

Not quite. You get a pool of passion tokens equal to the number of passions you have. If you have two passions, you get two tokens, if you have three passions, you get three tokens. This is independent of the value of the passions.

You can spend these tokens during play to call on any passion you like, for a bonus equal to the passion's value. If I have a 3-point hate, and I call on it with one token, I get a +3 to the action on which the token was spent. I can spend another token later to use the same passion, but if I do, it goes up to 4 points in value, and another passion must go down.

Was that helpful?

Rich Stokes

Ahhhh, I see!

So you can invoke passions as many times as you wish per session, regardless of their rating, provided you have passion points to spend in doing so.  And you start a session with a number of passion points equal to the number of individual passions you have.

So in an extreme case, you have a character with 5, one point passions.  That character will start with 5 passion points and could invoke the same passion 5 time in a given session.

That makes much more sense, I must have misread that part of the book.

Neat system, I'm a little wary of the lack of dice combined with lack of GM fiat.  But reading the book, it seems like this system genuinely does have the sense of tension without either of those things.

One final thing though, any chance of a summary sheet I can print and have handy on the table during play?  I mean, the summary pages in the rulebook are excellent, but they are spread throughout the volume and not particularly easy to find on the fly.  Having them separately (say as an 8 page booklet thingie) would be very handy indeed.
The poster previously known as RichKS