News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Possession - 9/10ths of the law?

Started by A.Neill, May 22, 2002, 04:03:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

A.Neill

ETA to my first Sorcerer game, 2-3 Weeks.

One of my players (Cathy) has come up with a possessor Demon that sporadically takes control of her character.

Alexandra's demon (Alix) is the counter to her inhibited and repressed self. Alix is assertive, with a need for sadistic sexual encounters and a desire for knowledge.

Demons are the sole jurisdiction of the GM – right? But if Alix makes regular appearances (and I want her to), Cathy's participation is a bit constrained.

Maybe if Cathy has free reign over scene framing and setting up bangs (**ahem**) she'll feel involved but I'm still uncomfortable with, what Mike Holmes might call, the "de-protagonizing" of the character.

Any ideas for a workaround?

Alan.

Joe Murphy (Broin)

I'm no expert on Sorceror, but how's this?

You could let Cathy play both Sorceror and Demon. If you feel Cathy will enjoy screwing over her own character for the sake of good characterisation (and let's hope so), then more power to her elbow. Her fun is her responsibility, as well as her right.

If she just wants to use the demon as an 'excuse' to cut loose with no Humanity checks, then you can absolutely hose Alexandra with problems resulting from her 'dark side'. Push Alix' Needs constantly, and make sure the Needs are difficult.

As far as I know, the mini-supplements Urge and Schism both deal with 'enemy within' demons, so I'm guessing this is a fairly usual thing to want to do with Sorceror.

Best,

Joe.

Ron Edwards

Hi Alan,

Love this thread title.

Let's see if I have this straight: Cathy is the player, Alexandra is the character, and Alix is the demon, right?

It sounds a great deal like some of the examples in Chapter 2 of The Sorcerer's Soul. I'll try to summarize some of the points from there.
Your concern about deprotagonizing is valid and speaks well of your intentions for play. However, let's take it from Cathy's point of view. She wants a demon that messes with her character's choices over her own actions. That's why she picked a Possessor demon in the first place, and why she specified such a tight psychological connection between sorcerer and demon. So it's not a matter of

Setting those standards is going to come from two sources, both of which are necessary, but one is much more important than the other.

1 (less). Discuss it just a bit with Cathy beforehand and make sure she knows that occasionally losing control of her character's limbs is part of the picture for a Possessor host.

2 (more). During play, ask her to tell you when the demon/host relationship is or is not working for her. Use this as the standard for how you GM the demon.

So using these together, and using both Will and Lore as major elements as conflicts between the demon and host, I'll think you'll be fine.

Best,
Ron

P.S. Oh yes, check out the mailing list archives on the Sorcerer website! There are some great threads about Possessors and Parasites in there.

Joe Murphy (Broin)

Alan,

Just out of curiosity, what's the definition of Humanity in your game, and what sort of demons are there?

Joe.

Mike Holmes

A couple of notes.

First, Ron, I think we lost part of your post there. What is it not a matter of? Second, though I'd like to take the credit for "de-protagonization" and related theory, it's Paul Czege that came up with it.

Credit where credit is due. OTOH, you are right, it is something that I might say. But I think that Ron's suggestions will get you straightened out on that note. If we ever get it all, that is.

;-)

Mike
Member of Indie Netgaming
-Get your indie game fix online.

Ron Edwards

Hey,

My missing sentence-fragment should read,

"So it's not a matter of whether she's going to lose control of her character at all, but rather how often and when."

Best,
Ron

A.Neill

Thanks for the replies guys! Will vs Lore conflict – thanks Ron. I have talked the character over with Cathy and she's well fired up for it!

Sorry Mike – credit to Paul Czege for "de-protagonize".

I guess until now, I've pursued a tightly managed simulationist agenda, with exploration of setting as my/the group's Holy Grail.

Even Sorcerer's vanilla flavoured Narativism makes me feel like Luke Skywalker during his attack on the Death Star. I have to switch off my targeting computer and trust in the Force!

Joe – humanity in the game is defined as compassion for others. Demons are (very much real) constructs of psychological extremis. I'd like their origin to be very Luciferian, but I think I'll let this pan out over play. Characters and demons.....

Stan: Corporate PI / failed cop.
Demon: 'Tomy – a scaled anatomist's model. He needs candy and desires to be a real boy.

Max: Down and out tabloid journalist
Demon: Leonard – an invisible giant rat in the Harvey tradition. Needs human milk and desires knowledge.

Alexandra: Merchant banker's daughter
Demon: Alix – possessor demon up-loaded from her mobile. Needs sadistic sexual encounters, desires control over humans.

Arthur Bladestun : Shady, socially incompetent, accountant
Demon: Mr. Dunstable – passer demon – Bladestun's twin that cloaks in his shadow. Needs – human hand fetish, desires mayhem.

Maybe I'll post to Actual Play once we get going!

Thanks again.

Alan.