News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Meaning of some of the Numbers

Started by ScarletJester, May 22, 2002, 08:11:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ScarletJester

Really quick easy question. Riddle of Steel turned up this morning, and my group is writing up characters right now, so an answer in the next 5 minutes would really help :).

Question is about what the numbers actually mean. We don't bother with spending points, we just pick the stats and skill ratings that we want. You've got a little table for skill ratings, so we could make them up easy, but we need to know the following:

Attributes can range from 1-10. What's an average value for a human? What's slighly below/above average? If a rollcall of the top 5000 people in the world was made for that attribute, what value would you need to be on that list? What would you need to be in the top 1000/10/very top of the list?

We're *guessing* that the attributes are rated like in Theatrix, with 3 being a thorougly average human, and 10 being the best anyone could possibly have in the whole wide world (or multi-worlds...not sure, we haven't got to Chapter 7 yet...).

The same goes for proficiencies. My brother is setting his proficiency scores right now, and he doesn't know what his rating in "cut & thrust" actually means. Is 5 average, poor, competent, veteran, master or what?

Would love a little table with the numbers in one column and a little text description for each value.

Ta :).

ScarletJester

K, you guys are too slow. We think we've worked it out ourselves.

Little Rob noticed that there are averages given for the derived attributes, so we managed to work out that the average human stat is 4.
We reckon then that:

1 - Piss poor
2 - I'm not impressed
3 - Below average
4 - Average
5 - Slight edge. Only noticeable to people when tested.
6 - Stat is important for the character concept, and is quite noticable (i.e, people with ST 6 have prominent muscles, people with AG 6 move with a natural grace etc)
7 - This stat *is* the character concept
8 - People are really starting to marvel you now

Then my brother flipped round the skill table for proficiencies, so we get:

1 - Beginners
2 - Some training
4 - Proficient
6 - Adept
8 - Master

Look right?

Ron Edwards

Hey,

Those assessments are consistent with my play so far. I think different groups will differ on the Proficiency issue, as Combat Pools of 12 or higher seem to be common among some, whereas in my group they seem to be a bit lower (people wanted more diversity in their Proficiencies).

Also, Sorcery brings in another wrinkle, as Vagaries are capped at 3, if I understand correctly.

Best,
Ron

Jake Norwood

Those numbers are also right in keeping with how I see them, including Ron's note about the Vagaries (which are given their own scale in Book 6).

Characters with CPs of 12 are quite gifted, given that an "average" person with "average" training has a CP of 8 (except that I don't believe in "average" people, and anyone that trains regularly will have better than "average ST, TO, and AG--and therefore Reflex--IMO).

Jake
"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing." -R.E. Howard The Tower of the Elephant

Lyrax

Right.  So for the average guard/wimpy soldier, a CP of 10 or so is in order.  Soldiers have a CP around 12-13, I guess (minus armor penalties, if any), veterans around 15, knights/elite guards much more.

Isn't this about what you had in mind?
Lance Meibos
Insanity takes it's toll.  Please have exact change ready.

Get him quick!  He's still got 42 hit points left!

Bankuei

QuoteSo for the average guard/wimpy soldier, a CP of 10 or so is in order. Soldiers have a CP around 12-13, I guess (minus armor penalties, if any), veterans around 15, knights/elite guards much more.

Actually, you're looking at the very high-end of things.  I went with the numbers in the book listed as the averages, and they've worked out well.  Our starting characters have CP ranges from 10(a seasoned, although not particularly spectacular warrior) up to 14(a duelist).  

One thing I like about ROS is that you aren't starting out as the wimpy "1st level" character who's gotta go beating up rats for a few months before you can take on a corrupt and undertrained guardsman.

Chris