News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Suitability for new players

Started by Alex F, December 04, 2006, 10:58:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alex F

I have a friend of mine with whom I've spoken about gaming a couple of times, and recently he's said he'd like to try it out. I've been puzzling over what would be a good fit for him - he doesn't like tv and has expressed a disinterest in PTA, and is not after dungeons and dragons or anything like that.

I recently succumbed to the awesome cheapness of the DRYH pdf, and after flicking through it struck me that atmospherically, I reckon he'd really enjoy it (as would I, naturally). However, the mechanics could be intimidating, but it's hard to tell on paper and without play experience.

So, denizens of the mad world, thoughts? I know it's billed as an "expert rpg", so this leans me away from it (and, though he'd be playing with others with more of a gaming history, none of us would consider ourselves experts either). On the other side, I get the feeling the game could generate a real spark, and that is important enough to give this a fair shot.

iago

Show him the rules summary page.  If that looks too hairy to him, you've got your answer.

Darren Hill

I wouldn't be surprised if the old-timers had more problems with it that than the newbie!

One of the players I've played it with is very rules-averse, and picked it up pretty quickly. As long as you have the rules straight in your head so you won't be projecting confusion, you should be okay. The rules aren't as complicated as they look.

(Shock! Fred posted before me! I never saw that coming...)

Alex F

Ah, didn't see that page. That's useful. I'll  attach it to the introduction, slip it under his door (in a faded manilla envelope) and see what he makes of it. If we're go, I'll let ya know.

Alex F

Game went very well! Will do an AP, but probably in the New Year.