News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Pemberton Follies

Started by Uruush, January 05, 2007, 10:02:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Uruush

I've Wikipedia'd Follies to try to get a handle on what they are.  I think I understand in a general sense, but I'm curious how others (including the designer) have interpreted the various activities (intended and not) that go on during the Pemberton Follies of 1919.

Thanks.

Jason Morningstar

Hey Uruush,

Of course it can be whatever you like, but I've always framed it as a campus-wide talent show.  Typically, people latch onto that motif to put people in weird performances, or bring in NPC groups in the audience to jeer or applaud, or mess around back stage and in the rigging.  I've also seen people frame scenes like "OK, so we hear the distant sound of a jazz band from Scadwell Hall.  Everybody is at the Follies.  Except for Dr. Duval and his assistant, Hubert Monck, who are busily searching the nurse's office for Regina Sutton's medical records."

Does that help?

James_Nostack

At Fordham, the Follies also involve professors and important school administrators as the subject of pranks, usually as the big selling point for the show.  So, the Dean might have to tap dance, and then someone throws a coconut-cream pie in his face.  The combination of good humor, pranks, and eerie Babylonian mind-control insects is probably a potent combination.
--Stack