News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

2007 ENnies- increasing Indie participation again

Started by Denise, February 01, 2007, 02:25:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Denise

Wasn't sure where to put this, so this'll have to do!  (Conventions?  But it's more than just a Gen Con thang... Publishers?  But publishers aren't eligible to run for judgehood, although they can vote...)
New this year, I've opened up the judge selection to non-EN Worlders.  This means that you don't have to be a member of EN World to be a judge, nor to vote.  Even if Forge peeps don't/can't run for judge, I'd like to encourage 'em all to cast their votes for the judges for whom they feel represent best their interests.
More details at the new ENnies site at www.ennieawards.com

Thanks!
An ENnie vote has as much meaning as a dollar bill - that is, it's worth what you choose to value it at. -clash

The Annual Gen Con EN World RPG Awards ("The ENnies")

Jason Morningstar

Thanks for the heads-up, Denise.  What prompted the change?

Denise

Quote from: Jason Morningstar on February 01, 2007, 04:20:10 PM
Thanks for the heads-up, Denise.  What prompted the change?

First of all, I was sick of the original mechanic of using an EN World poll for the judge selection.  I disliked how you could see the results as they unfolded, and how it seemed as though your chances of being elected a judge were directly proportional to your post count and popularity on EN World.  Also, there are some inherent flaws with the counting method of the polls.  The Single Tranferrable Vote combined with a secret ballot would present the best results - and less easy min/maxed voting manipulation.

So with the fact we were going to be changing around the voting method, I started considering changing a little more!

Secondly, over the years the ENnies have evolved from being a d20 award to being the RPG award.  In order to reduce the (real or perceived) d20 bias associated with the Awards because of their origins with EN World, we decided to open up the voting to non-EN Worlders a few years back.  This year is the natural progression of making it more accessible to gamers (well, at least those online!)

Two years ago (IIRC) we enstated the rule that there must always be at least one new judge and one experienced judge, that way preventing the nominations from becoming too predictable, but also ensuring a little bit of continuity.  Still, though, the judge selection based entirely from the EN World pool, and elected by EN Wolrders exclusively made for what could turn out to be an EN World popularity contest.

By opening not only the nominations to all gamers, but having all gamers vote for the nominees, I think we're going to create a more representative voice of gamers online.  The ENnies are already touted as the première RPG awards, it's time that all gamers, not just EN Worlders, be more actively involved in the entire process.

Whew!
An ENnie vote has as much meaning as a dollar bill - that is, it's worth what you choose to value it at. -clash

Ron Edwards

I am in awe. Denise, that is a momentous decision which took a lot of guts.

Best, Ron

Jonathan Walton

Denise, this is awesome.  I have a few questions.

Judges cannot have ANY professional relationship with ANY entity that published a roleplaying game in 2006, even if that entity's products were not submitted for an ENnie?  If so, that excludes most indie games designers that I can think of, but we could nominate, like, Andy Kitkowski or Adam Dray or Lisa Provost (not that they would necessarily have the time) or someone else who has no relationship to any game published in 2006.

Is there a sense of how many products a single judge will review?  Is the answer "all of them that get submitted"?  If so, wow, that is a HUGE commitment.

Denise

Good questions, J.

Yep, each judge has to evaluate each and every product submitted- that consists of IIRC about four to six boxes full of books, accessories, and CDs.  I already have a case of books and other goodies ready to ship from entries submitted at Gen Con 06.  It's hundreds, possibly hours worth of reading.  Depending on their time constraints, many judges take a week or two off work in May/June in order to complete the task.  The good news is, you get a bunch of excellent products, free Gen Con passes and a place to stay, and an unforgettable experience!

And you're right, chances are, most people here have don't qualify on account of having produced a game in the past year.  These are meant to be fandom awards, not professional ones- plus we want to reduce the chances of bias (real or perceived).

Eero Tuovinen

Hey, I just realized that I actually qualify for this. What do you know. Now I'll just need to figure out how to get the diaspora to vote for me in this showdown. After that it'll be Gencon time!
Blogging at Game Design is about Structure.
Publishing Zombie Cinema and Solar System at Arkenstone Publishing.

Eero Tuovinen

Damn. Thinking it through, I actually notice now that I'm a publisher myself, albeit in a different language area. How the heck is anybody supposed to get their paws on Ennies judgeship with this kind of requirements... I guess it's just not meant for us :(
Blogging at Game Design is about Structure.
Publishing Zombie Cinema and Solar System at Arkenstone Publishing.

Denise

At the very least, don't forget to vote for your choice of judge!  When the nominations are announced, read their statements and ask 'em questions!

Denise

I just started up a thread over at http://www.enworld.org/showthread.php?t=187231 in which I hope voters will ask questions of the nominees.  If you don't want to join EN World, feel free to ask a question in here and I'll post it over there.
(I was going to start up our own forums to keep it on neutral ground, but I don't want to stir the pot that much (yet)!)

greyorm

Denise:

I have a judge-suitability question: let's say I am a publisher but have not published a new game or other product in 2006. However, I started selling a print version of a product for 2006 which was previously only available as a PDF. Would this disqualify that person from being a judge?
Rev. Ravenscrye Grey Daegmorgan
Wild Hunt Studio

Denise

Sorry, Grey, but you definitely qualify as being a publisher, so wouldn't be able to be a judge!

Quote from: greyorm on February 03, 2007, 02:44:22 PM
Denise:

I have a judge-suitability question: let's say I am a publisher but have not published a new game or other product in 2006. However, I started selling a print version of a product for 2006 which was previously only available as a PDF. Would this disqualify that person from being a judge?

Clyde L. Rhoer

Hi Denise,

I had a couple of questions. Does playtesting disqualify someone? Also when exactly is a person considered a publisher? When they start working on a game that may or may not see the light of day, when they finally print the game, or when they first attempt to sell the game? I'm working on my first game which could possibly be done by Gen Con this year, but will not be sold before then. I would obviously have to have the books printed before August.
Theory from the Closet , A Netcast/Podcast about RPG theory and design.
clyde.ws, Clyde's personal blog.

Denise

Hi Clyde, and thanks for your interest!

Playtesting is judged on a case by case basis with factors such as renumeration, depth of involvement, whether the publisher is entering, etc. 
But if you're publishing this year, we couldn't have you as a judge- imagine if your book, freshly-released at Gen Con Indy, was touted as The Next Big Thing, and then there you are, on stage at the ENnies as a judge!  The optics on that one would not be good.

Basically, the Board takes into consideration the two following factors:
1. Fairness/Impartiality.  We have to try to avoid all possibilities of conflict of interest.
2. Fan Awards.  These are not Industry awards, these are awards for fans, run by fans.  Professionals- publishers, freelancers, etc. cannot judge.

Sorry you can't be involved this time around- but you are certainly welcome to vote for a judge and for your favourite products!  It looks as though we may have at least one candidate from the Forge...

Quote from: Clyde L. Rhoer on February 04, 2007, 02:41:20 AM
Hi Denise,

I had a couple of questions. Does playtesting disqualify someone? Also when exactly is a person considered a publisher? When they start working on a game that may or may not see the light of day, when they finally print the game, or when they first attempt to sell the game? I'm working on my first game which could possibly be done by Gen Con this year, but will not be sold before then. I would obviously have to have the books printed before August.

Clyde L. Rhoer

Theory from the Closet , A Netcast/Podcast about RPG theory and design.
clyde.ws, Clyde's personal blog.