News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

A Call For Help

Started by MPOSullivan, February 02, 2007, 06:26:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MPOSullivan

Everyone here at the Forge,

My name is Michael O'Sullivan.  I've been a member here at the Forge for a number of years now, posting occasionally when I saw something where I thought that I could help, but mostly sitting back and taking in all of the great ideas.  Being a member of this community, even an ancillary one like I have been for the most part, has really impacted my appreciation of gameplay and has led to me having much more fun at my gaming table.  It has also led me to creating my own game, the heist and caper movie RPG Criminal Element.  The game found it's start here on the Forge, and has slowly developed over the years through the help of those fine people that have been posting their great ideas here. 

I really don't know how to get into this, so I guess I'll just get right to it. 

My girlfriend and fellow gamer Star C. Foster died 10 December 2006 at the age of 33.  Star was a prolific writer, posting to her blog at Sarcasmo's Corner at least twice a week, as well as acting as one of the editors of Phillyist, an online culture magazine.  She was also the co-writer of the award-winning interactive fiction game Slouching Toward Bedlam.  Between ball room dance classes and constant concert and movie adventures, she often found time to sit down at a gaming table to roll some dice with her friends. 

Star and I met a number of years ago because of a copy of Nobilis, and wound up falling for each other during a couple of sessions of the Mountain Witch, for which I wrote some APs here back in September.  She was my best friend, my partner in crime, and the love of my life. 

But I'm not here to dwell.  I'm here to ask for help.

Star's family, friends and myself are establishing a scholarship in her name: the Star C. Foster Writer's Prize.  Every year a graduating student with a love for writing and the written word from Philadelphia Central High School, Star's Alma Matter, will recieve a scholarship.  As a fundraiser we've organized a silent auction where a number of things that interrested Star will be sold, with all proceeds going to the Prize. 

It's my hope that some of the writers here will find it in their hearts to help us.  I'm trying to put together a great collection of Indie RPGs to be auctioned off at the event.  If you are interested in helping in this, please contact me through PM or email me at MPOSullivan at fullmotor dot net

Normally I wouldn't even think to be asking for this, but these are abnormal times to say the least and I have no shame when it comes to doing things to honor the woman that I love. 

Ron and Clinton, I apologize for going so off-topic with this post.  If you feel that this is inappropriate in any way, please take it down.  I'm not trying to derail things here and I'll completely understand.  Honest. 

To everyone, I thank you for your time and consideration. 

-M
Michael P. O'Sullivan
--------------------------------------------
Criminal Element
Desperate People, Desperate Deeds
available at Fullmotor Productions

MPOSullivan

I'd like to just do a quick update.

First, thank you to all of the amazing people who have contacted me about donations.  I've already started to recieve donations in the post and there's plenty more on the way.  I cannot tell you how much this means to me.  You've all been so kind as to help with this, and I don't think that I can ever thank you enough.

Also, to those that do donate, I would be more than happy to keep you in the loop as to how the auction fares.  Please contact me if you are interested in knowing how things develop. 

We are still accepting donations!  If you've been thinking about helping out, we will be accepting donations up until 14 March.  Please contact me through email or PM if you would like to help or have any questions at all. 

Finally, there will be a special page set up at Star's website, www dot sarcasmoscorner dot com, that will be devoted specifically to the Star C. Foster Writer's Prize.  We would like to post names and link information for everyone that has donated gifts to the auction.  If you have any questions about this or would like to remain anonymous, please contact me at my email mposullivan at fullmotor dot net, or PM me here. 

Thank you all once again.  Your help is invaluable and... well, it's really touching.  Thank you. 

-m

Michael P. O'Sullivan
--------------------------------------------
Criminal Element
Desperate People, Desperate Deeds
available at Fullmotor Productions