News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

1st Transatlantic Setting Design Champion

Started by Frank Tarcikowski, February 13, 2007, 08:29:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frank Tarcikowski

Challengers! Finally, with half a month's delay, it is time to announce the Champion of the 1st Transatlantic Setting Design Challenge! Aaaaaaand the winner iiiiiiiis:

Thou Art But a Warrior

Congratulations, Anna!

And you won despite appointing the highest average score of the four finalists. If we do this kind of thing again, we should use a different scoring method, like a linear ranking for example.

Thanks again to the participants. I really wanted to contribute something myself because I was going to make a point, and that point seems even more important to me looking at the winning entry. However, enigmatic statements like that are crap and there was just no way I could have made it. I'm glad the Challenge proved worthwhile anyway, and sorry for the delay that I caused.

Rock on!

- Frank
If you come across a post by a guest called Frank T, that was me. My former Forge account was destroyed in the Spam Wars. Collateral damage.

Mikael

Congratulations, Anna!

This does oblige you to take the product to the market, otherwise the totally unique back-cover blurb - "Winner of the 1st Translantic Setting Design Challenge!" - is wasted. When I buy it, I will of course expect to find all my insightful review thread suggestions incorporated...
Playing Dogs over Skype? See everybody's rolls live with the browser-independent Remote Dogs Roller - mirrors: US, FIN

Anna Kreider

Um. Wow. Thanks!

I don't have anything profound to say, so I'll keep it simple: you all rock.

~Anna

Graham W

It's a great game (or setting). I hope you take it further. Congratulations!

Graham

Rich Stokes

Well done Anna!

I found the judging very difficult for the final round.  I don't mind admitting that I voted the highest mark to Thou Art But A Warrior in both rounds of the contest.

But judging was very hard, especially for the final round and it was especially difficult to give everything marks out of 10.  I would have preferred to simply put them in order of how much I liked them, and have 4 points going to the best, 3 to the next etc etc.  It's very hard to award numbers, but it's easier to judge which game best fits the criteria of the contest, and the order in which the others fit, rather than having to judge each one in terms of a mark out of 10.

But again, well done Anna! Totally great setting.  What I particularly liked (and what I felt put it above the other entries I judged) was the fact that it managed to present a really rather different setting that made a lot of sense, a setting which I knew how to play after reading it, and which managed to do all that in a very short and well written document.
The poster previously known as RichKS

Ben Lehman

Congratulations, Anna!

You deserve it.

yrs--
--Ben

talysman

Yes, congratulations! I'm not surprised, since I gave this game high marks, too. It's an excellent setting.

What are the next steps for the game?
John Laviolette
(aka Talysman the Ur-Beatle)
rpg projects: http://www.globalsurrealism.com/rpg

Anna Kreider

A lot of revisions, and probably a heftier section dealing with history and whatnot.

And playtesting! I've gotten some pretty good feedback from people so far, but I'm sure that there's stuff that will come up with playtesting too.

So, yes. It's not just going to sit on a shelf. I'd like to see if I can con my gaming group into running through a game, actually. (Although we still only have three people. <sigh> Oh well.)

~Anna