News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

[Capes] Who owns Inspirations?

Started by Stefan / 1of3, February 23, 2007, 12:08:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stefan / 1of3

Hi.

Another simple queston:

As I understood the rules (and espcecially the errata) Inspiration is awarded to players.

So if I aquired an Inspiration with Cpt. Proton, I can use that Inspiration with any character like Dr. Chaotica, for example.

Is that correct?

Hans

Quote from: Stefan / 1of3 on February 23, 2007, 12:08:07 PM
So if I aquired an Inspiration with Cpt. Proton, I can use that Inspiration with any character like Dr. Chaotica, for example.

You got it.  The only guide/rule on using inspirations is that you have to somehow tie the circumstances that generated the inspiration, through the narration, to the current circumstances. 

So, if you have "Cpt. Proton beat Dr. Chaotica: 4" as an inspiration its easy to tie it in.  Maybe Dr. Chaotica says "I will not be defeated AGAIN!" or something like that.

If you have "Cpt. Proton baked a cake: 4" that might be a little tougher to come up with a satisfying way to tie that to whatever Dr. Chaotica is doing right now.

I quoted Tony in the FAQ as saying "my general rule would be that [the new conflict] should be related to the origins of the Inspiration to the satisfaction of the player using the Inspiration".
* Want to know what your fair share of paying to feed the hungry is? http://www3.sympatico.ca/hans_messersmith/World_Hunger_Fair_Share_Number.htm
* Want to know what games I like? http://www.boardgamegeek.com/user/skalchemist

Eric Sedlacek

Characters own debt.  Players own story tokens and inspirations.

Narratively, inspirations are a way to tie past events to current narration.  In theory (and in practice really), you can justify almost anything, but it can be surprising how subtly but effectively they nudge you toward narrative continuity.

Stefan / 1of3

Actually I only wanted that answer confirmed for oliof.

Still, thanks.