News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Ring of Power

Started by jim pinto, February 28, 2007, 05:49:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jim pinto

While still working on George's Children, Jon Hodgson and I have plotted two more games for ourselves to design.

Without giving too much away, the second game is called the Ring of Power and the theme is shifting right in front of my eyes. What was initially a game about DESTROYING the ring is now becoming a game about dealing with the power of the ring. Coming to terms with what must be done.

Judson came up with some interesting mechanics for temptation tonight and I'm still wrestling with what you DO in the game at the moment.... what was very LINEAR, may become an open ended game.

My connundrum at this juncture is this... if the game is about a RELIC of power (set in any era), the risks and rewards become obvious. And the implementation of mechanics becomes easier.

However, does this sound like a game that needs deliniated structure (go from point A to point B), or could I steal a page from Lacuna and design a smart game (well, as smart as I can) with no guidelines on what to do with it?

I realize this breaks the format for posting to getting started, but I'm at a crossroads here on where to go.

Any thoughts... on here or in private will be rewarded with cookies.

Thanks
jim pinto
savant this!
longbowx@juno.com
greatcleave.blogspot.com

lumpley

Design a smart game!

Whatever's most important, that's what you should leave up to us. If the fate of the ring and the ringbearer is the most important thing, don't give us rules for the fate of the ring and the ringbearer. Give us rules for travel, danger, power, loyalty and consequences.

That's how I figure it.

-Vincent

Troy_Costisick

Quote from: lumpley on February 28, 2007, 07:42:09 AM
Design a smart game!

Whatever's most important, that's what you should leave up to us. If the fate of the ring and the ringbearer is the most important thing, don't give us rules for the fate of the ring and the ringbearer. Give us rules for travel, danger, power, loyalty and consequences.

That's how I figure it.

-Vincent

Oh man, I agree 100%.  Rules for temptation/corruption are great.  Rules for attracting the forces of evil are great.  Rules for dominating minions with the ring are great.  But don't tell the PCs what to do with the Ring.  Just give them rules for supporting whatever they want to do.  That's the best advice we can give at this point.

Peace,

-Troy

jim pinto

Troy/Vince...

Believe it or not, this is where I started with the design. So it's good to see that I'm on the right track. The mistake I made was in forcing people to accept the SAME quest.

So. Thanks for the input. I'm off to fight crime.
jim pinto
savant this!
longbowx@juno.com
greatcleave.blogspot.com